The Game: Penetrating the Secret Society of Pickup Artists The Game discussion

The Deeper Message of the Book

Comments Showing 1-12 of 12 (12 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by E-Kai (last edited Aug 25, 2016 10:57AM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

E-Kai Warning this contians spoilers!!!!

Everyone is looking fill something within themselves - the people in the book are trying to find it by validating themselves against women. However, near the next some dont find what they are looking for and turn to religion, but even that isn't enough.

I found the real message is finding whatever you're looking for within yourself. Tackling your insecurities, amitting your faults to yourself and then working on them. Neil becomes Sytle, his altered ego in order to fix his insecurities about himself but in the end he's back to Neil and that's what gets him Lisa.

We're all looking for our Lisas but we have to realize that the only place you're going to find her is within yourself

message 2: by [deleted user] (new)

The deeper message is ... whatever gets you the ladies is good.

message 3: by Amitai (last edited Aug 25, 2016 11:14AM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Amitai Yes, but he adds the caveat that the PUA community let him meet Lisa in the first place. And he still associates with it, so he has not rejected it completely.

message 4: by Daniel (new)

Daniel While i agree that that life style is shallow, i think the book just goes to prove it. our whole socetiy today is filled with people "falling in love" which in reality is nothing more than infatuation.

people think that "love" just happens and you cant plan for it, well guess what? you can.

women who will sleep with a man just be cause he is funny and interesting, and she is infatuated with him, are just as much to blame for this.

the men are not forceing women to sleep with them rather makeing the women want to sleep with him, and then allowing her to do so.

women do this all the time to men by dressing up all fancy, matching clothes, and plucking eyebrows and makeup, in order that men should want to sleep with them, and i dont see the difference in that.

message 5: by Michael (new)

Michael Lindgren It will be impossible to make any sense out of this book until you realize that the men depicted are obviously all closet homosexuals. Then it just seems kind of sad. Mike Lindgren

Greg I think you're right on the part that the secret is inside ourselves, but without the confidence that the PUA community gave him, he would never have so much as spoken to lisa, let alone got anywhere with her. Let's face it, with the way style looked before becoming a PUA, and his lack of game, she would have never dated him.
I think it also shows you how far one will go to get the affection of the opposite sex. Women spend tons of money on clothes, hair and makeup. Even altering their bodies with plastic surgery. And all of this costs lots, and lots of money. Men in the PUA community try tweak their personalities and spend thousands on bootcamps.

message 7: by Peacerenity (new)

Peacerenity Mike wrote: "It will be impossible to make any sense out of this book until you realize that the men depicted are obviously all closet homosexuals. Then it just seems kind of sad. Mike Lindgren"

i rofl-ed on this one. dude, just because somebody is unsuccessful with women and generally insecure doesn't mean that they are a closet homosexual. neither does wanting the approval of other men mean that you are a closet homosexual. otherwise everyone on a sports team, in a fraternity, or with a close relationship with their father would also be a homosexual.

message 8: by Feliks (last edited Jan 03, 2013 09:17PM) (new) - rated it 2 stars

Feliks "Peacerenity wrote: " otherwise everyone on a sports team, in a fraternity, or with a close relationship with their father would also be a homosexual."

Well, isn't that true? You're proving his point..heh!

Explore my GR reviews of all these 'PUA' books to see what I think. I rated the ones worth rating. In general, Neil Strauss is the creepiest dude in that whole scene. And his book is only tangentially useful; its more like a rip-off; who cares what his impressions are of this sub-culture? We're capable of making up our own minds, Neil. Duh.

His trouble is, he still has zero personality even after he got better socially.

Cagne Feliks wrote: "His trouble is, he still has zero personality even after he got better socially. "

What? That sounds more like the Tyler Durden character.

message 10: by Feliks (last edited Apr 09, 2013 05:23PM) (new) - rated it 2 stars

Feliks I stand by my impression of him; although I think I wrote it a bit frothingly. It was one of my first reviews I penned after arriving on this site.

Still, I think my assessment of Strauss fits him and fits most of them, actually. You're right, Durden is particularly foul but he never was anything but foul to begin with.

Meanwhile Strauss is the one who is kinda trying to 'have it both ways'. He wants to show us how great PUA is, then he wants to show its drawbacks, and at the end of it he wants to show how he was 'too smart' to get pulled down into the bad side.

But I just don't think he was so much more a 'better' person after his transformation. He picked up a bunch of new tricks --habits--which he learned so well they became automatic for him. That's a gain in social proficiency. It's not development though, of personality; or of character. He just got better at finding out what his goals were.

I think he wrote the last few chapters to try to sound as if he was 'vulnerable' again but it didn't ring true. To my ears anyway. As I read his book, I kept thinking, this is a guy who--when he was a loser--was more appealing than when he became a winner. And I kept thinking, why am I listening to this guy at all? Whether he succeeds with women or not, his writing style, his voice..his career, his values..this guy would never impress me.

message 11: by Assa (new) - rated it 3 stars

Assa I think this whole PUA community is just a thing where geeks and social outcasts can gather round and find each other. Not a very constructive post, i know

message 12: by Feliks (last edited Jan 06, 2014 08:21AM) (new) - rated it 2 stars

Feliks Actually interest in these practices cuts across all sectors of the male gender. Even the smoothest, suavest, most polished, slickest guys out there, at least make themselves familiar with it.