Aussie Readers discussion

Archive Personal Challenges 2016 > Andrea's 2016 Chunky Challenge

Comments Showing 1-16 of 16 (16 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Andrea (last edited Dec 15, 2016 07:01PM) (new)

Andrea | 990 comments In 2016 I want to wipe a few of the heftier tomes off my TBR. I've selected 7 to begin with, but may add others during the year. I figure if I can get through about one every couple of months, I'll be doing well.

A Fine Balance by Rohinton Mistry 624pages ★★★★★
A Little Life by Hanya Yanagihara 736pages ★★★★★
A Place of Greater Safety by Hilary Mantel 985pages ★★★☆
The Goldfinch by Donna Tartt 852pages
Shantaram by Gregory David Roberts 1108pages ★★★☆
The Sunne In Splendour by Sharon Kay Penman 1169pages
The Far Pavilions by M.M. Kaye 1319pages ★★☆

A Fine Balance by Rohinton Mistry A Little Life by Hanya Yanagihara A Place of Greater Safety by Hilary Mantel The Goldfinch by Donna Tartt Shantaram by Gregory David Roberts The Sunne In Splendour by Sharon Kay Penman The Far Pavilions by M.M. Kaye

message 2: by Kathryn (new)

Kathryn | 3169 comments Go, Andrea! I've thought The Sunne in Splendour and The Far Pavilions would be good, but I've not been game to tackle them yet...!

message 3: by Brenda, Aussie Authors Queen (new)

Brenda | 60327 comments Mod
Good luck Andrea :) They are daunting aren't they!

message 4: by Sharon (new)

Sharon | 3556 comments Good luck Andrea :)

message 5: by Andrea (new)

Andrea | 990 comments Kathryn wrote: "Go, Andrea! I've thought The Sunne in Splendour and The Far Pavilions would be good, but I've not been game to tackle them yet...!"

I must admit The Sunne in Splendour gives me palpitations, just thinking about it, and it's not even the longest!

message 6: by Carolyn (new)

Carolyn | 5648 comments Good luck Andrea!

I'm planning to do the same thing this year as I have far too many chunky books on my bookshelf being overlooked in favour of their slimmer shelf- mates.

message 7: by Andrea (new)

Andrea | 990 comments Time to select my first chunky read for the year. I have all but one of these in eBook format, so I thought I might knock off the paperback - A Fine Balance - but when I flipped it open and saw how tiny the writing is I quickly put it back on the bookshelf!!

I might go for Shantaram instead, as I also have that in the Aussie Author challenge.

And I might need to keep an eye out for a cheap e-copy of A Fine Balance ;-)

message 8: by Andrea (new)

Andrea | 990 comments So far, so good, with two 5★ reads.

A GR friend recently gave The Goldfinch a most intriguing review, so I'm tempted to go there next. I've loved the other two Donna Tartt novels I've read.

But first I need to knock off a few more quick reads.

message 9: by Andrea (new)

Andrea | 990 comments I've fallen a little bit behind, so last night I embarked on the chunkiest book on the list, The Far Pavilions. I could be gone for some time.

message 10: by Deborah (new)

Deborah Ideiosepius | 1036 comments I loved the far pavilions, I was pretty young when I first read it but I got back to it a few years ago and still found it pretty good.

message 11: by Andrea (new)

Andrea | 990 comments Deborah wrote: "I loved the far pavilions, I was pretty young when I first read it but I got back to it a few years ago and still found it pretty good."

That's good to know. I'm finding the writing pretty dense so far, but I'm hoping that's just because it's the introductions; characters, landscape, history, politics etc

message 12: by Andrea (new)

Andrea | 990 comments I'm holding up the white flag on this challenge! There's not enough time left this year to read another, and I don't think I have the will anyway, having only finished The Far Pavilions last night.

The 2 remaining chunkies have been added to my personal challenge for 2017.

message 13: by Brenda, Aussie Authors Queen (new)

I don't blame you Andrea! Congratulations on the monsters you've read :) Feel proud of yourself!

message 14: by Andrea (new)

Andrea | 990 comments Brenda wrote: "I don't blame you Andrea! Congratulations on the monsters you've read :) Feel proud of yourself!"

Thanks Brenda. What I have learned from this is that although I am a slow reader, there is no need to be scared of long books.

message 15: by Brenda, Aussie Authors Queen (new)

Really??!! I don't think I'll venture to the size of your reads ;)

message 16: by Kathryn (new)

Kathryn | 3169 comments Andrea wrote: "I'm holding up the white flag on this challenge! There's not enough time left this year to read another, and I don't think I have the will anyway, having only finished [book:The Far Pavilions|10222..."

Great job, Andrea! I haven't finished most of my challenges this year - but never mind, there's always another year to add them to! Or to scratch them completely and start again entirely new!!