Dragons & Jetpacks discussion

Buddy Reads > Buddy Read - Throne of Glass by Sarah J. Maas (January 2016)

Comments Showing 1-50 of 86 (86 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1

message 1: by Rinn, Captain of the SSV Normandy (new)

Rinn (rinnsohma) | 3396 comments Mod
So I will be hosting a read-along/discussion of Throne of Glass on my blog in January, and want to involve any members of D&J that are interested!

Here's what my schedule looks like:
- 4th Jan: Announcement post
- 7th Jan: Discussion of chapters 1-13
- 11th Jan: Discussion of chapters 14-27
- 14th Jan: Discussion of chapters 28-39
- 18th Jan: Discussion of chapters 40-end

Each section is roughly 100 pages. I'll be posting the discussions on my blog and here, so let me know if you're interested in joining :) This will be the thread for ALL discussions, so make sure to use the spoiler tag if needed.

message 2: by Roger, Knight Radiant (new)

Roger | 1844 comments Mod
oh, I like this, count me in.

message 3: by Ty (new)

Ty Wilson (ShatterStar66) | 81 comments Sounds great, I'm in.

message 4: by Sarah (new)

Sarah | 627 comments I'm in.
Not totally sure I will be able to keep to your schedule (early January is very busy where I work and I'm usually pretty mentally drained by the end of the day), but I will make every effort to do so.

message 5: by Dawn (new)

Dawn | 930 comments Count me in too. I've been meaning to read this for ages.

message 6: by Casper (new)

Casper (casperj) Just finished the prequels, does the author still have her weird chin fetish in these ones? I swear this world has one of the most fleshed out methods of chin based communication I've ever read. Can't go more than a few sentences without out people lowering, shaking, jutting, pointing, raising etc. their chins at each other.

message 7: by Christina (new)

Christina (daria1275) | 374 comments Been wanting to read this one for awhile, so count me in.

message 8: by Rinn, Captain of the SSV Normandy (new)

Casper wrote: "Just finished the prequels, does the author still have her weird chin fetish in these ones? I swear this world has one of the most fleshed out methods of chin based communication I've ever read. Ca..."

I can't remember much about the chins I'm afraid! You'll just have to read it and find out ;)

message 9: by Kimberley (new)

Kimberley de Jong (thebooksmademedoit) Same here! Looking forward to it, I'll make sure to get my hands on a copy before then :) (physical copies ftw.)

message 10: by Shawnie (new)

Shawnie | 1252 comments I'm in. I bought this when it was a BOTM recommendation and never got to it. :)

message 11: by Rinn, Captain of the SSV Normandy (new)

Wonderful!

Just to say that I'm reading it now, not next month, because I need to schedule my posts ahead of time :) I'll post my thoughts on the appropriate days though!

message 12: by Rinn, Captain of the SSV Normandy (new)

1 week to catch up with the first part if you're interested in taking part! :D

message 13: by Susie (new)

Susie  (susiend104) | 265 comments I wasn't sure about this one, but it turns out it's only $2.24 for the Kindle (US) version, and I got an amazon gift card, so... count me in, I'm curious. :)

message 14: by proxyfish (new)

proxyfish | 58 comments Count me in! :D

message 15: by Rinn, Captain of the SSV Normandy (new)

So, who has read part one? :D

A little summary of what we've read:

This first part of the book sees Celaena Sardothien, also known as Adarlan’s Assassin, being taken from the Endovier Salt Mines, where she has been imprisoned and enslaved for over a year. Her ‘rescuers’ are Crown Prince Dorian Havilliard, and the Captain of the Guard Chaol Westfall. Dorian wants to enter Celaena into a competition to be the King’s Champion, and eventually personal assassin. If she wins, she will have to work for the King for four years – and then she will have her freedom, and be pardoned from all past crimes.

Later chapters show that, despite his position as Crown Prince, Dorian clashes with his father often. Celaena meets the King and the other champions, and begins her training. She also meets a princess called Nehemia, from the country of Eyllwe.

And here are my notes so far:

- One little note before the book even properly starts – I always appreciate it when books include maps at the beginning! It makes it a lot easier to get my bearings of a fantasy country or world.

- I’ve always read Celaena as Celina, even though I know it must be Suh-lay-na due to the spelling. However, I still read it my own way throughout this re-read – it’s stuck!

- Additionally, I still have no idea how Chaol’s name is actually said, even though I’ve met Sarah/seen her talk about the book, so I’m pretty sure his name was mentioned…

- Compare Celaena’s first thoughts of the guys: Dorian = ‘… achingly handsome…’; Chaol = ‘It’d be nice to see his blood spill across the marble’ …

- I never really thought about the different sides to Celaena before – she is both tough and quite girlish at times. Of course, anyone can be both – but it feels like quite a sudden juxtaposition in this case.

- One thing I want to know… is everyone in Endovier a hard criminal? Are they all assassins, murderers etc, or all kinds of criminals? It feels like the justice system of Celaena’s world is quite harsh – are there petty thieves, perhaps people who stole just to feed their families, mixed in with all the killers? I kind of get the impression that this is how it works. But I also feel like at least a couple of people would have lasted as long as Celaena, or escaped/nearly escaped.

- We see a small hint of Celaena’s past in chapter 5 – for those reading for the first time, I can’t wait for some big reveals!

- I definitely read it so much more slowly this time, trying to soak in every detail. Since I already knew what would happen, I didn't feel the need to rush ahead in order to find out.

- I forgot that Celaena is actually quite witty, wonderfully flirty and actually quite adorable – despite being an assassin.

message 16: by Roger, Knight Radiant (new)

I just finished this off last night but I'll try to keep my comments limited to what Rinn has posted. I remember thinking after about 10 chapters in that how can a girl that was just barely 16 be the world's greatest assassin? I feel like at 16 she would still be "promising" and not had a chance to be trained in everything she would need to be and have had enough time to build up a huge reputation. I never really got a good explanation of that and it kind of bugs me, maybe in later books.

message 17: by Rinn, Captain of the SSV Normandy (new)

It definitely is one thing that's come up whilst re-reading. The first time I read this I was utterly entranced so I didn't consider that. Now that I know what happens, I feel like I can criticise the book a bit more.

I think she is 18? Not that it makes much difference for the world's greatest assassin, I'm sure :P

message 18: by Susie (new)

Susie  (susiend104) | 265 comments I think she's 18 now, but was in Endovier for a year, so she would've been younger when she became the "greatest assassin". But I agree, how does that happen? Perhaps we'll find out more as it progresses. You'd think that you would not want people to know your name if you were a great assassin, wouldn't you? I imagine success would be found in the shadows, not by putting a target on yourself.

I'm intrigued. I don't think Celaena's character is very convincing, and some of the girly-ness is too exaggerated, but I find myself liking her anyway.

Rinn, I kept reading Chaol different ways so I looked it up: the author says kay-all, like "chaos" with an L: http://sarahjmaas.com/extras/throne-o...

message 19: by Roger, Knight Radiant (new)

Yeah, I said 16 to take account of the year in prison but would assume that in order to be that famous and well known at 17 people would start hearing of her quite a bit before that. In order to be the go-to assassin you would think it would take years...

message 20: by Rinn, Captain of the SSV Normandy (last edited Jan 07, 2016 01:07PM) (new)

Well, people know her name but they don't realise what she looks like or that she is female, although I'd think Celaena was a pretty feminine name anyway. And yeah that's true, didn't think about her time in Endovier and before!

And thanks Susie! It'll still be stuck in my head as Cha-ull though, which kinda sounds horrible... And the actual pronounciation rhymes with my surname, hmm :P

message 21: by Kimberley (new)

Kimberley de Jong (thebooksmademedoit) I couldn't help but finish the book when I started reading it a few days ago xD

I personally really had to get used to Celaena's personality.. In my mind, she didn't really fit a notorious, cold blooded killer, which I initially expected her to be. I didn't dislike her, it was just a hm.. prejudice to get over? She's super girly, for example.. but then I think to myself, wouldn't I enjoy the hell out of feeling beautiful after the worst year of my life?

Oh and, my brains pronounced her name as Se-lee-nah.. and I somehow couldn't change that, despite knowing how wrong it is.. ack..

message 22: by Shawnie (last edited Jan 07, 2016 02:45PM) (new)

Shawnie | 1252 comments I was pronouncing Chaol as choll like thrall. Oops. Will try to switch over. He's my favorite currently. I'm pronouncing her name Ce Lay Na like E lay na.

I find it a bit choppy to follow her moods. One moment she's thinking out her plan to kill, and the next she's flirting. I do like her character though.

As far as her being a renowned assassin, we're reminded several times over that she was saved at the age of 8 and immediately put into assassin training. I don't remember where in the book, but she talks about how Arobyn spared no expense, and hired tutors from all over the world and sent her off to learn from the best at various points. Coordination, strength, and maturity for these talents up to age 7...probably not. I suppose in my fantasy mode, this didn't bother me. I'm usually not bothered by far-fetched skills in my fiction.

I find the prince annoying at times, but I like his love of books over politicking. :)

I'm ahead and don't want to spoil anything, so I'll wait to comment on other things.

message 23: by Susie (new)

Susie  (susiend104) | 265 comments I've also gotten a little farther, almost through our second segment, but I've been reminded of something that piqued my interest early on... where did the magic go, and how awesome is it going to be when it (presumably) comes back?! :)

This book does certainly prove hard to put down. I didn't realize that it was the first of six!

message 24: by Roger, Knight Radiant (new)

Shawnie wrote: "I was pronouncing Chaol as choll like thrall. Oops. Will try to switch over. He's my favorite currently. I'm pronouncing her name Ce Lay Na like E lay na.

I find it a bit choppy to follow her mood..."

Still, 8 years is not that long of a time to become so good at everything that you beat people who have been doing it for years longer than you.

(view spoiler)

If I ignore all that I really do like the book and was just wishing that had a reason why she was unnaturally better than anyone else, it would have been easier to swallow. I also cut it a little slack because it is young adult and I assume aimed at young female readers. (just as an fyi I also think the "farm boy" trope is silly to so, it's not a gender thing)

message 25: by Rinn, Captain of the SSV Normandy (new)

Shawnie, I've always pronounced Chaol the same way!

To me, the books aren't absolute masterpieces in perfect writing. But they ARE wonderful tales that make my heart warm and fuzzy, and to me that's enough for a 5-star rating :) I don't always look out for logic in stories (unless it's just ridiculous), particularly when it comes to the SFF genres, but I can see what you're getting at, Roger!

message 26: by Roger, Knight Radiant (new)

Rinn wrote: "Shawnie, I've always pronounced Chaol the same way!

To me, the books aren't absolute masterpieces in perfect writing. But they ARE wonderful tales that make my heart warm and fuzzy, and to me tha..."

probably the engineer in me :) (this is also the reason I go on a big explanation of what was wrong even though I don't feel like it ruined the book or even feel that strongly about it...have you ever heard the quote "arguing with an engineer is like wrestling with a pig in the mud, after a couple of hours you realize the pig likes it")

Like I said they are enjoyable reads and I do plan on continuing on in the series, just was one point that stuck with me.

message 27: by Shawnie (new)

Shawnie | 1252 comments Roger, too funny! You feel compelled to point out the details. :) And, Susie, where did the magic go? Did it go away with all the killings and burnings, or go into hiding? I am hoping that (view spoiler)

message 28: by Shawnie (new)

Shawnie | 1252 comments Rinn wrote: "Shawnie, I've always pronounced Chaol the same way!

To me, the books aren't absolute masterpieces in perfect writing. But they ARE wonderful tales that make my heart warm and fuzzy, and to me tha..."

I agree! I get caught up in the story and am content to make up excuses in my mind or ignore them. :) Only if I'm enjoying the book.

message 29: by Roger, Knight Radiant (new)

Shawnie wrote: "Roger, too funny! You feel compelled to point out the details. :) And, Susie, where did the magic go? Did it go away with all the killings and burnings, or go into hiding? I am hoping that [spoiler..."

I really do have to point them out....my wife loves this about me (/s).

I'm thinking what you suggested as well, there are definite hints about it.

message 30: by proxyfish (new)

proxyfish | 58 comments My full discussion is posted here: https://booksbyproxy.wordpress.com/20...

Just a few thoughts though:

I'm really enjoying this so far and those things that I thought might bother me, such a Celaena's young age as the 'world's greatest assassin', didn't bother me at all. I think this is just one of those books you have to enjoy for what it is, get lost in its story, and forget about the details that nag at you. I remember a reference to steel and thinking "I hope she's talking about weapons" as I very much doubted structural steel was a part of their civilisation..... but hey it's fantasy, do whatever the hell you want! :P

message 31: by Sarah (new)

Sarah | 627 comments Ok, got up to this point now.
Took a bit to get into it, but liking it so far.
I think it is funny that neither Dorian nor Chaol really know what they are getting into with Celaena.
But I am already 1000% done with the annoying court ladies.

message 32: by Rinn, Captain of the SSV Normandy (new)

It's time for part two of the discussion!

I don't have quite as much to say this time round. What did you all think?

Here's what happened in part two:

Part Two sees the first Tests for the Champions begin, but we also learn a little more of Chaol’s background. Cain, who becomes Celaena’s main nemesis, is introduced – and shortly after, the murders begin. One by one, competitors for the King’s Champion are being picked off in an incredibly violent manner.

And my notes on this section:

- One thing I often wonder in fantasy stories is why our holidays are sometimes used. Maas mentions Sammhain (Halloween) and Yulemas (Christmas, although could be a winter solstice type festival).

- We learn more about Celaena’s history with Sam, but there’s still a lot missing.

- Both Dorian and Chaol seem to be falling for Celaena – one quicker than the other. When we see her through their eyes, she seems to be in a more vulnerable position, softened slightly.

- I hate the use of the term Dark Lord! It’s so cliched and overused in fantasy fiction. However, it’s only mentioned once here, and used as a backstory element rather than being a current threat, so it’s not quite as bad.

- The book takes on more of a ‘magical fantasy’ feel when Celaena finds the sarcophagus. Instead of being a book that could easily be set in our world, albeit in the past, it’s suddenly clearer that this is not our world when the magical elements come into play.

message 33: by Susie (new)

Susie  (susiend104) | 265 comments Definitely intrigued by the increasing magical elements and the introduction of the ghostly faerie queen. I also like Nehemia.

I can't help but wonder if learning about Sam just builds her story, or if we're being left in the dark a little because maybe he ISN'T dead?! Just a wild guess, I have no basis for this, haha.

You know, I feel like with all of those competitors for Champion, there should've been at least one or two other women. Probably not young and pretty ones, but still.

message 34: by Dawn (new)

Dawn | 930 comments I have to say I'm enjoying the second part of the book much more than the first which had too many holes in the plot for my liking. Apart from those already mentioned I just don't get why she didn't run once outside the prison. The greatest assassin must surely be sneaky enough to hide from a few soldiers, especially if no one knew what she looked like as the book said. So I'd have liked it if the story had a better premise for getting Celaena into the castle but the murders, ghostly queen's warning and the obvious jealousy arising between Chaol and Dorian without them realising it have added some good plot twists and I'm finding it a much better read.

message 35: by Rinn, Captain of the SSV Normandy (new)

Susie wrote: "You know, I feel like with all of those competitors for Champion, there should've been at least one or two other women. Probably not young and pretty ones, but still. "

Yeah that would've been nice. Although I guess that would make Celaena less 'special'... which is silly.

message 36: by Shawnie (new)

Shawnie | 1252 comments I finished the book, but here is what I was thinking during this part of who/what was doing the gory killing... (view spoiler)

I started to like Celaena more at this time. I really wanted her and Chaol to fall more for each other. Even though Dorian is a book lover, I found him annoying. :) (view spoiler)

message 37: by Shawnie (new)

Shawnie | 1252 comments Susie wrote: "Definitely intrigued by the increasing magical elements and the introduction of the ghostly faerie queen. I also like Nehemia.

I can't help but wonder if learning about Sam just builds her story, ..."

I wonder about Sam too! At this point in the book, it makes her feel more normal; a teenage girl with a lost love.

message 38: by proxyfish (new)

proxyfish | 58 comments I've posted my second part of the discussion here.

But completely agree that this part of the book was far more mysterious and intriguing. I love the magical elements that are coming into play and I'm all for a grizzly murder.

Definitely more of a fan of Chaol at this stage but the whole romance element isn't as irritating as I envisaged it to be. Definitely want to find out more about Sam though!

message 39: by Kimberley (new)

Kimberley de Jong (thebooksmademedoit) Nehemia has quickly become one of my favorite characters in Throne of Glass, really like her. I was personally more a fan of Dorian, I like the bantering they do, but I was never against Chaol either. I just don't get where Celaena's love/hate for Chaol is coming from, especially the hate she sometimes expresses so vividly.

The turn the story is taking in the sense of magic & mystery, is cool, in my opinion. Queen Elena is really interesting, (view spoiler)

message 40: by Sarah (new)

Sarah | 627 comments This is definitely getting more interesting at this stage.

The murders and the sudden introduction of a magical element is definitely helping the story move along.

I like Chaol more at this point. I think we still need to see more character development for Dorian. I'm sure that comes.

Kimberley wrote: "Nehemia has quickly become one of my favorite characters in Throne of Glass, really like her. I was personally more a fan of Dorian, I like the bantering they do, but I was never against Chaol eith..."

I love Nehemia too. She's a refreshing character compared to most of the other women in the story so far.
I think in some ways it is easier for Celaena to see Chaol as a representative of the King that she hates. Dorian may be the Prince, but Chaol is the one in a uniform that she can't ignore all the time. Plus she interacts with him more directly, so she has a focus for the anger and hate she can't quite put aside.

message 41: by Christina (new)

Christina (daria1275) | 374 comments Dawn wrote: "I have to say I'm enjoying the second part of the book much more than the first which had too many holes in the plot for my liking. Apart from those already mentioned I just don't get why she didn'..."

I think that she certainly would have been good enough to escape being the great assassin that we keep hearing that she is , however, I think that she decided early on that she didn't want to be looking over her shoulder for the rest of her life and risk returning to Endovier. I think she just thought it would be better to risk going through the challenge and earning her freedom that way, rather than escaping. Although you can bet that if she doesn't win the challenge she will probably try escaping then!

Currently I am definitely rooting for Chaol, but the prince has his charms as well.

message 42: by Vera (last edited Jan 12, 2016 04:41PM) (new)

Vera Maslow I did start this a bit late, and my first read of this. Im partway through the second discussion part so I won't comment on that yet. Almost though. Since I missed the first part discussion my thoughts quickly:
The young age didn't bother me so much. It was there, but not nagging. The thing that did nag at me was how she was raised from age 8 and trained to be this assassin, I just can't picture the harshness of her life and how her character is right now. Something doesn't quite fit for me, but Im still enjoying it and since it is just the beginning of a book 1 feeling sure more will come out and form better.

I'm sure I will catch up quickly to where the discussion is and will be shortly since it is quick to read and does pull me in.

message 43: by Vera (new)

Vera Maslow Part 2. Definitely interesting. Chaol, Dorian, Nox.
There is something about Chaol that makes me just love him.
Dorian catches some more intimate glimpses of Celaena.
Nox is saved, oh what an intense part.

The king and the princess:
why is Nehemia there.
where has the king gone to.
and I find myself asking why destroy magic and records or magic, yet what are the markings in the castle grounds? It is typical in fantasy for some conqueror to rid the world of magic and hunt down magic users. The interesting part is why and sometimes what they do.

The murders. At first I thought there is a lot going on in this story, is this too much? So far it is not and it adding to it without being distracting and taking away from the building of the characters and world.

and now on to catch up to part 3 since that is up tomorrow it looks like!

message 44: by Roger, Knight Radiant (new)

I'm having a hard time not grabbing the 2nd book and tearing into it, i'd like to keep track with the buddy read.

message 45: by Rinn, Captain of the SSV Normandy (new)

End of the month, Roger! Can you wait til then? :P

message 46: by Susie (last edited Jan 13, 2016 11:06AM) (new)

Susie  (susiend104) | 265 comments Vera wrote: "where has the king gone to. "

Yes, the king! He's incredibly suspicious. There are a few things I've noted that don't quite add up - some obviously intentional for later reveals (Wyrdmarks), but others just strange (in what kingdom do rulers just disappear for a while?! ah, well, suspension of disbelief and all...).

Roger wrote: "I'm having a hard time not grabbing the 2nd book and tearing into it "

I've been trying to pace myself with the segments due and always been a little ahead... But I probably won't get book 2 until the end of the month at the earliest from the library.
It's been interesting because I'm reading this and Man in the High Castle at the same time. PKD is much more my usual style and I'm really enjoying it, but Throne of Glass is strangely addicting in a completely different way.

message 47: by Christina (new)

Christina (daria1275) | 374 comments Vera wrote: "Part 2. Definitely interesting. Chaol, Dorian, Nox.
There is something about Chaol that makes me just love him.
Dorian catches some more intimate glimpses of Celaena.
Nox is saved, oh what an int..."

Do you think that where the gargoyles are is a portal? That maybe the king is travelling between worlds? That was the thought I had when it was mentioned that Celaena had come across in her studies that Wyrdmarks were sometimes indications of portal entries. Unless I imagined that, which is totally possible!

message 48: by Rinn, Captain of the SSV Normandy (last edited Jan 14, 2016 02:55PM) (new)

This is the problem with this being a re-read for me... some comments I can't respond to, because I know whether you're wrong or right and don't want to give anything away. :P

Time for part 3 discussion! :D

So what happened?

The third part of the book sees yet another brutal murder of one of the Champions by an unknown force, and Celaena coming up with a plan to infiltrate the Yulemas masked ball.

My thoughts on part three:

- This is quite possibly one of my absolute favourite quotes from this part of the book. It describes Celaena playing billiards.

Celaena jabbed the cue, and hit the ball with such force that it zoomed toward the back wall of the table, knocking three coloured balls out of its way before it collided with the number three ball, sending it shooting straight for a hole.

It stopped rolling at the edge of the pocket.

A shriek of rage ripped from her throat, and Celaena ran over to the pocket. She first screamed at the ball, then took the cue in her hands and bit down upon the shaft, still screaming through her clamped teeth. Finally the assassin stopped and slapped the three ball into the pocket.

And I absolutely pictured Celaena having a screaming match a la Regina George…

- Celaena’s friendship with Nehemia grows. I love this friendship. There is a tendency in Young Adult fiction to use the female best friend as exposition – the main character can discuss boys and romance with them, therefore sharing this information with the reader too. And I say boys and romance specifically because they seem to be, about 80% of the time, all that these friends talk about. Celaena and Nehemia, on the other hand, discuss politics, languages, and they learn from each other. It’s a genuine friendship based on curiosity and mutual interest and I just want to cheer them on, maybe make them little friendship bracelets…

- Chaol getting embarrassed over the mention of periods. Boys will be boys… even in a fantasy world. It’s all okay contemplating the fact that Chaol may have to kill someone in the future due to his position, or that he will most likely see (or has already seen) a lot of death, but periods? No way! Can’t deal with those nasty feminine issues! Menstruation reduces the toughest of men to screaming babies, apparently.

- We’re told that Dorian is a womaniser, but somehow I can’t imagine it. I could see him as a big flirt – but actually sleeping around? He seems to have this innocent quality to him that makes me think he’s not done anything but sweet talk a little too much. Unless that is how he is actually meant to be and I’m just misreading it (or reading it correctly in that case…). What do you think?

- Celaena’s reaction to sweets. Like a little child, so adorable. Or… like Andy Dwyer from Parks & Recreation.

- Dorian and Celaena finally kiss, after lots of lusting and wistful gazes. This is going to be a foolish move, and you know it. The Crown Prince and an assassin? Uh oh…

message 49: by Kimberley (new)

Kimberley de Jong (thebooksmademedoit) - We’re told that Dorian is a womaniser, but somehow I can’t imagine it. I could see him as a big flirt – but actually sleeping around?...."

Its funny that you bring this up, as it also crossed my mind. In my mind he seems much more capable of kissing the hands of maidens, offer sweet words and roses and exchange charming smiles.. and then perhaps a kiss or two.. But going around having one night stands? Nah.. I think that it meant many were interested in him, but those feelings were unanswered...?

message 50: by Rinn, Captain of the SSV Normandy (new)

Yeah, exactly! But there was something that made me think it was hinted that he'd either kissed a lot of girls or slept with them, but I just can't imagine that. Also, for a potential romance for a YA protagonist, that kind of feels like it's not a done thing? Not that it makes any difference really, but I don't think I've ever read a YA book where the main character has dated/been in a relationship/romantic tryst with someone who has a 'reputation'.

So it feels like his reputation is maybe more rumour than anything else. Definitely more the 'courtly love' type, whispering sweet nothings and all that.

« previous 1