Terminalcoffee discussion

Random Queries > Are you a germaphobe?

Comments Showing 1-50 of 184 (184 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1 3 4

message 1: by RandomAnthony (last edited Jul 20, 2009 07:39PM) (new)

RandomAnthony | 14536 comments I thought of this issue while reading this:

http://www.cnn.com/2009/TRAVEL/07/20/...

I am not much of a germaphobe but my six year old is. He won't drink out of my water bottle if I drink from it first. He's like Heidi that way. I think his kindergarten teachers taught him about germs, etc. and he went a little nuts with it. Oh well. He's got his own water bottle.

And you?

message 2: by Félix (new)

Félix (habitseven) I'm not, generally.

message 3: by Meen (new)

Meen (meendee) | 1733 comments Totally not.

message 4: by Cosmic Sher (new)

Cosmic Sher (sherart) | 2234 comments I am when in public toilets, esp PortaPotties... ew. I carry around a little container of antibacterial gel just in case of emergency.

Otherwise, nope. I think wallowing around in all the fun, dirty, germy gunk as a kid actually helps the immune system later in life. Plus, it's more fun than freaking out about being clean.

message 5: by Knarik (new)

Knarik Usually I am not.Surely not with friends and family!

message 6: by [deleted user] (new)

My wife is one, and she slowly seems to be rubbing off on me. But I am still a firm believer of letting the kids get exposed to germs when they are young, so they build up their immunities.

message 7: by Heather (new)

Heather (heatherjoy) | 384 comments Not at all. And I never get sick. Go figure.

message 8: by RandomAnthony (new)

RandomAnthony | 14536 comments Welcome to TC, Heather!

message 9: by Heather (new)

Heather (heatherjoy) | 384 comments Thanks :) Its nice to find a place where snark and randomness is appreciated.

message 10: by [deleted user] (new)

Heather wrote: "Thanks :) Its nice to find a place where snark and randomness is appreciated."

You may have found the mothership.

Welcome to TC.

message 11: by Angie (new)

Angie (angabel) There are some things that squick me out, like mold on dishes or things that smell bad, but I still occasionally find myself blowing my nose into the sink. I think living in India a year made me less of a germaphobe.

message 12: by Sally, la reina (new)

Sally (mrsnolte) | 17346 comments Mod
I blew my nose into the sink at 24 hour fitness yesterday because there weren't any goddamn tissues in there and my bike ride to the gym had brought on some vicious sneezes.

The number of dirty looks I received was astounding. It made me want to wipe my snot on the scale, but I controlled myself.

message 13: by Angie (new)

Angie (angabel) I always secretly admired men who can shoot snot like four feet away.

message 14: by Sally, la reina (new)

I tried to learn how to do a "farmer blow" during cross country. I failed and found snot dangling from my chin.

message 15: by Félix (new)

Félix (habitseven) Yum!

message 16: by RandomAnthony (new)

RandomAnthony | 14536 comments Whoo! Angabel might get some interesting private messages from lurkers after message 14.

message 17: by Michelle (new)

Michelle (luvrdn) | 501 comments From poop to snot, seriously... I am the one who lines the toilette even at my mothers house,(especially at my mother's house), I might have even thrown up when Sally suggested wiping snot on the scale, Im not tellin

message 18: by Heidi (last edited Jul 21, 2009 02:34PM) (new)

Heidi (heidihooo) | 10825 comments Randomanthony wrote: "He won't drink out of my water bottle if I drink from it first. He's like Heidi that way"

For the record, it's not so much because I'm a germophobe as much as it's because I'm territorial. :) DON'T TOUCH MY STUFF!!!

I was never really much of a germophobe before I started working at a hospital, but I definitely find myself washing my hands alot more now and using good clinical practice both at work and when I step away from work, also.

message 19: by Lori (new)

Lori O Sally, hahaha!

Nope I'm not a germaphobe at all, I'll come in from gardening and eat something with my hands. It's just dirt!

But still there are some things that bother me. I'd prefer that no one drink out of my bottle of water. The wash down, ya know? But I have no problems with someone eating off my plate - but they should ask first or be invited. Note: This applies to family and friends, not strangers or acquaintances eeeew.

message 20: by Meen (new)

Meen (meendee) | 1733 comments I blow my nose in the shower every day.

message 21: by Meen (new)

Meen (meendee) | 1733 comments OK, well, on the days I take showers.

message 22: by [deleted user] (new)

TMI Mindy, TMI ;-).

message 23: by Sally, la reina (new)

Not at all, Minds! I perform all sorts of bodily functions when I'm in the shower! That's what it's for, right?

message 24: by Meen (new)

Meen (meendee) | 1733 comments I totally agree, Sally!

message 25: by Nuri (new)

Nuri (nools) | 538 comments I was actually taught to blow my nose in the sink because my dad thought tissues were a criminal waste of natural resources.

And in some ways, I suppose it's cleaner? I mean, you do wash your hands immediately afterward -- or at least I hope you do.

message 26: by Meen (new)

Meen (meendee) | 1733 comments Well, it's in the shower, so everything gets washed!

message 27: by Usako (new)

Usako (bbmeltdown) When it's flu season, I'm around at every cubicle checking on my co-workers. If one has the slightest case, I hand them to the anit-bac wipes and suggest they wipe the keyboard, mouse and phone at the end of each day. It helps keep the germs down. I did this when I worked at a hotel with 6 on-call for 24-7 manning. We never spread our germs to the other person! It was great!

Otherwise, feh. Kids should get germy. Put them in a plastic germ-free bubble and it'll be harder on them as adults. And SOME germs are good germs.

message 28: by Michelle (new)

Michelle (luvrdn) | 501 comments o.k. I agree with good germs and bad germs..dirt-good germs. The stuff hanging out on public sinks- bad germs. Blowing snot in the shower- sometimes you have to. Stuff crawling on hotel blankets- very,very bad germs. Drinking after someone you know- good germs. Eating popcorn off the movie theater seats- bad germs. I could go on and on....

message 29: by Félix (new)

Félix (habitseven) Microbes and You

http://www.scq.ubc.ca/microbes-and-yo...

"Microbes are everywhere. They populate the air, the water, the soil, and have even evolved intimate relationships with plants and animals. Without microbes, life on earth would cease. This is due mainly to the essential roles microbes play in the systems that support life on earth, such as nutrient cycling and photosynthesis. Further, the physiology, nutrition and protection of plants and animals (including humans) is dependent on various relationships with microbes. This report will focus on the relationships between microbes and humans. And as we will see these relationships are key factors that determine whether or not we live healthy lives."

message 30: by Sally, la reina (new)

I wash my hands and cover my mouth etc, but I don't believe in being squeamish about "germy" surfaces. That is just too OCD for me.

message 31: by Zen (new)

Zen (zentea) | 515 comments I like germs. They keep you healthy.

message 32: by Félix (new)

Félix (habitseven) And they like you, Zen.

message 33: by Angie (new)

Angie (angabel) Michelle wrote: "o.k. I agree with good germs and bad germs..dirt-good germs. The stuff hanging out on public sinks- bad germs. Blowing snot in the shower- sometimes you have to. Stuff crawling on hotel blankets- v..."

Germs are one thing. Parasites are another. I'm still suffering from a case of the scabies that I picked up on an Indian train. It was a dirty train but I was so tired and it was such a hassle to get my rightful berth that I just said "fuck it" and didn't bother to wipe down the dirty berth or anything. I thought I was fine... and I was, until about two months after I got back.

message 34: by Michelle (new)

Michelle (luvrdn) | 501 comments River parasites are nasty little buggers to, I know germs are every where, and they are not all bad. I just am not going around licking door knobs, I am not parnoid!! I am not!

message 35: by Félix (new)

Félix (habitseven) Scabies! Yuck!

And licking doorknobs -- now there's a picture.

message 36: by Zen (new)

Zen (zentea) | 515 comments Doorknobs? Is that a metaphor? Like bishops and firemen?

message 37: by Sally, la reina (new)

I've shared before about the timeshare "hotel" in Hawaii where on the LAST DAY of a two week vacation I pulled the sheets all the way off to hunt for lost socks and found a giant bloody spot (not mine)on the obviously unwashed sheets.

message 38: by Sally, la reina (new)

It actually makes me never want to peek all the way down in a hotel bed ever again.

message 39: by Heather (new)

Heather (heatherjoy) | 384 comments Oh eww, this is making me never want to travel. And I hadn't even thought to worry about scabies unless I was near a frat house. Who knew?

message 40: by Morgan (new)

Morgan (neimanmarxist) | 32 comments Yes and no. I am definitely only a germaphobe at work, where I work with the world's foulest people! Sinks and soap were invented for a reason people! I keep an enormous bottle of Purell on my desk, and use it the maximum of 10x everyday. I have kids at home, I don't need to be bringing anything home besides a tired and cranky mommmy!

message 41: by Heather (new)

Heather (heatherjoy) | 384 comments I don't use antibacterial soap, just regular. My doctor told me that the antibacterial destroys the good bacteria along with the bad, and that the negative effects of using it far outweigh the positive.

But...If I worked with "the world's foulest people", I'd be tempted to burn my clothes and bathe in lye, so more power to you.

message 42: by Morgan (last edited Jul 22, 2009 01:20PM) (new)

Morgan (neimanmarxist) | 32 comments I've heard mixed reactions about antibacterial soap. I know as far as Purell goes, the doctors and nurses at hospitals use it (or at least our local NJ/NY hospitals) so I figured it must do something right! I've heard that if you over use it you can get blisters and things on your hands.

And not everyone I work with is foul, I don't want to sound too harsh hehe. Just most of them. :(

message 43: by Heather (last edited Jul 22, 2009 02:12PM) (new)

Heather (heatherjoy) | 384 comments Doctors and Nurses use a gel called onestaff, or maybe its onestatt, that is similar to antibacterial soap, but not. I work in healthcare and its everywhere. Stinks too. But effective.

message 44: by Sally, la reina (new)

Here's what scares me: the over-sterilized medical environment that gives rise to more resistant strains of bacteria and the super feared super germs.

Yet, I don't know much more than hearsay and 20/20 style hype.

message 45: by Heather (last edited Jul 22, 2009 02:27PM) (new)

Heather (heatherjoy) | 384 comments Well, if they didn't sterilize as effectively as they do, they would risk spreading disease and staff, especially staff.

20/20 has a way of finding the .000001% of cases and exploiting them in a way that makes it seem that the whole world will cave in. I trust the professionals more than John Stossil (sp?). I have come to think of 20/20 as a trash rag fit for t.v.

message 46: by Sally, la reina (new)

You guys are right. I know you are. Hospitals are run by people much smarter than me, and I know they're in control. I'll stop stoking the fire now.

message 47: by Heidi (new)

Heidi (heidihooo) | 10825 comments Ummmm... working around an environment where airborne diseases are not unheard of on a day-to-day basis, you know - the kind that don't go away has strengthened my resolve to be more mindful of what goes in my mouth and my hands (and I don't mean that in a pervy way - get your mind out of the gutter).

At one time, we had a run of 6 people coming into our clinic regularly who all had MRSA/staph. That stuff doesn't go away. It stays with a person for life. I'm not interested in contracting it. Period.

Purell, like most antibacterials, has a high content of alcohol and dries the skin. That's why there's usually a container of lotion near the antibacterial in public restrooms, labs, hospitals, restaurants, etc.

message 48: by Meen (new)

Meen (meendee) | 1733 comments *picks mind up out of the gutter*

message 49: by [deleted user] (new)

Hey Mindy pick mine up while your there would ya.

message 50: by Meen (new)

Meen (meendee) | 1733 comments I find it very affirming when I'm not the only mind in the gutter!

:)

« previous 1 3 4