The Power and the Glory Discussion Group discussion

Jinkies!

Comments Showing 1-32 of 32 (32 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Kelly (new)

Kelly I think I'm the only one who hasn't gotten their book yet.

message 2: by Jen (new)

Jen (missonethousandspringblossoms) | 60 comments I got mine from inter-library loan. You could be waiting on my copy!:)

message 3: by Kim (new)

Kim (kmdoubleday) I cannot believe Montambeau already read this!!!!

message 4: by [deleted user] (new)

I didn't get to go on vacation to Boston. :(

message 5: by Michelle (new)

Michelle (ingenting) Um...I'm only halfway through The Idiot so I don't know when I'll be able to pick this book up. Should I leave the group? By the time I start reading it, you'll all probably be sick of talking about it.

message 6: by Kim (new)

Kim (kmdoubleday) I'm 12 pages in. I'm afraid to read any of the threads because I hate knowing things ahead of time. I won't read reviews of books that I want to read because of that. I also won't read the backs of books. Sometimes this kicks me in the ass.

I'm liking all 12 pages so far.

message 7: by Ben (new)

Ben Yay, Kim has started! Michelle, stay in the group! We won't care if you come on board way after us. It'll be fun, in fact, to remember it later on.

message 8: by Kim (last edited Jul 31, 2009 08:01AM) (new)

Kim (kmdoubleday) Yes, Shel.. do! I'll finish this weekend... :)
I have to admit I'm going to be intimidated to write a review after all of you.

message 9: by Jen (new)

Jen (missonethousandspringblossoms) | 60 comments Kim wrote: "Yes, Shel.. do! I'll finish this weekend... :)
I have to admit I'm going to be intimidated to write a review after all of you. "

Bah. You'll be fine. I've seen your reviews. Didn't you write one of Winesburg, Ohio? That one made me feel much better about hating on Anderson.

message 10: by Kim (new)

Kim (kmdoubleday) Yes, I did... I think I lost some respect after that, but I have to be true to myself. What a damn misogynist that guy was.

message 11: by Jen (last edited Jul 31, 2009 09:46AM) (new)

Jen (missonethousandspringblossoms) | 60 comments Kim wrote: "Yes, I did... I think I lost some respect after that, but I have to be true to myself. What a damn misogynist that guy was.

"

I suggest Winesburg to those who are close to the edge and need a little push into deeper depression. People who want the total experience, want to claw at their eyes, crave the compulsion to rub strands of hair between their fingers.

message 12: by Kim (new)

Kim (kmdoubleday) Wow. You are hardcore. I like it. :) Maybe I can suggest it to frenemies... (not that I have any, I am sweet as pie, I tell you.)

message 13: by [deleted user] (new)

I have that book. Brian and David sure love it, but reading your review, Kim, is what made me want to read it. I want to know where I stand!

message 14: by Dave (new)

Dave Russell I unabashedly and unreservedly love it.

message 15: by Kim (new)

Kim (kmdoubleday) You would... ;/

(It's a guy thing, right?)

message 16: by Michelle (new)

Michelle (ingenting) (It's a guy thing, right?)

Yes. Sorry, but it is.

message 17: by [deleted user] (new)

J loved it. She didn't review it, though. :(

message 18: by Michelle (new)

Michelle (ingenting) It was definitely well-written...that wasn't it. It just really struck me that Sherwood Anderson sounded like he hated women. I don't have any evidence of that, but I just felt that way while I was reading the stories.

message 19: by Kim (new)

Kim (kmdoubleday) I'm not arguing with the writing.. just what Shel said..except I have evidence (the writing...)

It's subjective... I just hope not to be judged by the fact that I don't consider it to be a 'classic' and instead think of it as being 'annoying'

To each his own.

message 20: by Michelle (last edited Aug 11, 2009 02:56PM) (new)

Michelle (ingenting) Kim, you're funny. I do consider it a classic, but I consider it a slightly misogynist classic. Granted almost all of the characters were horrible people...there was just some extra pathetic evilness Anderson reserved for his female characters. It struck a nerve, and I'm no big feminist* or anything.

Anyway, I'm almost finished with The Idiot, so I'll be starting Greene soon.

*I mean, I don't spell "women" as "womyn."
: )

message 21: by Dave (new)

Dave Russell It's not a sexist book. You broads are nuts.

message 22: by Kim (new)

Kim (kmdoubleday) there was just some extra pathetic evilness Anderson reserved for his female characters. It struck a nerve, and I'm no big feminist or anything.

I take this stuff to heart too much.. don't EVEN get me started with Coetzee. Ugh...

Good on ya for finishing Dostoevsky!

message 23: by Michelle (last edited Aug 03, 2009 10:21AM) (new)

Michelle (ingenting) Ha ha! Dave!

I'll just be off in the corner darning men's socks or quilting instead of reading more Anderson.

Kim, don't you dare trash Coetzee. Dem's fightin' words.

message 24: by Kim (new)

Kim (kmdoubleday) I know.. I know.. the bastard.

message 25: by Jen (new)

Jen (missonethousandspringblossoms) | 60 comments Montambo wrote: "J loved it. She didn't review it, though. :("

J for Jessica? Because I gave it one star, although I am sure it was an unfair rating because all that I had left to go on was mood- the awful blackness devoid of life or insight.

message 26: by [deleted user] (new)

J.

message 27: by Jen (new)

Jen (missonethousandspringblossoms) | 60 comments ah.

message 28: by Stephen (new)

Stephen (stephenT) Ben invited me to this group, and I pick up my book tomorrow.

message 29: by Kim (new)

Kim (kmdoubleday) J loved it because she loves to love books that I hate. (it's all about me. :) )

message 30: by Kelly (new)

Kelly Wow...I think now I'm the last one to actually get the book.

message 31: by Michelle (new)

Michelle (ingenting) I just bought my copy last night.

Kim, you love to hate the books I love.

message 32: by Jen (new)

Jen (missonethousandspringblossoms) | 60 comments Michelle wrote: "I just bought my copy last night.

Kim, you love to hate the books I love."

Way to go, Kim. Preemptive strike!

Michelle, I can't wait to hear your thoughts.