Mineola Library Teen Readers discussion

START DISCUSSING HERE > What do you think of Chapter 1?

Comments Showing 1-15 of 15 (15 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Suzanne (new)

Suzanne Moore (suzeq) | 18 comments Mod
If you've already started the story, post your questions or comments in this folder.

I was wondering if Julie's mom is supposed to be Rapunzel, does she have to cut her hair often? She said she kept it bobbed short, and Julie wondered what her father would think about it.

Since she hasn't seen her father in a while, I wonder where he is. Is he Rapunzel's prince?

message 2: by Mary (new)

Mary | 15 comments Mod
I tell you, it took my several pages to figure out that except for Julie, all the characters were from fairy tales. Hadn't thought of why Zel went into the hair business but it makes sense. I'm llike you now, how often does she cut her hair.
Maybe Dad stayed behind to do something in fairytale land to protect Julie. HMMMMMMMM.................

message 3: by Rachel (new)

Rachel | 16 comments What i did'nt get was when Julie put on the flip-flops ,what was wrong with her toes/feet???

message 4: by Suzanne (new)

I think Julie was just self-conscious about wearing flip-flops out of season. If I'm not mistaken, it was the wrong time of year for flip-flops. I wonder if her toes froze?

message 5: by Sarah (new)

Sarah | 8 comments I finished the book. It was great. I found myself recognizing all sorts of fairytales I've read before, such as the eleven white shirts. I don't like Linda the children's librarian though, she's creepy.

message 6: by Mary (new)

Mary | 15 comments Mod
Linda is very creepy. More so if you read the teaser for "Out of the Wild".
I stayed up until midnight finishing this book. It's been a long time since I got really caught up in a true page turner. What a well written novel!!!

message 7: by Mary (new)

Mary | 15 comments Mod
In response to the flip-flop question. I don't think there was anything wrong with her feet. I don't think Julie is in Texas and therefore wearing flip-flops late into the school year would appear very odd. She felt like an oddball because of her family anyways and the flip-flops didn't help matters any.

message 8: by Rachel (last edited Jul 23, 2009 09:08AM) (new)

Rachel | 16 comments Well yeah I guess you're right The story took place
in Massachusets so it wasn't as hot as it is in october in Texas.I got the book about 2:00p.m.Tuesday and when we got home my mom said,"leave the book here,
we're going out to eat." So I got really mad at her because I was on a goodpart(all of the book)

message 9: by Rachel (last edited Jul 23, 2009 09:08AM) (new)

Rachel | 16 comments It took me a little bit to figure out why they called
Julie's mom Zel.

message 10: by Rachel (new)

Rachel | 16 comments I don't think I've ever heard of the 11 white shirts
story

message 11: by Suzanne (new)

Rachel wrote: "I don't think I've ever heard of the 11 white shirts
story"

I don't remember this fairytale either. I asked Mary and she remembered something about sewing white shirts and turning into swans. It comes from a very old fairytale; not as common as others.

message 12: by Rachel (last edited Aug 05, 2009 09:29AM) (new)

Rachel | 16 comments Although I don't really know for sure I think I remember a little bit of that story.

message 13: by Sarah (new)

Sarah | 8 comments I don't remember the title of "the eleven white shirts story", but it is a Grimm's fairytale. There's a book of collections of Grimm's fairytales in the adult section of the library. In it you'll find "the eleven shirts story" under its real name as well as my favorite "Stupid Hans". Hope this is useful! :)

message 14: by Rachel (new)

Rachel | 16 comments You know how you said that the librarian is creepy?(she is)I think she had something to do with letting the Wild free, because after Julie left the library she let The Three Blind Mice out of a cage.

message 15: by Mary (new)

Mary | 15 comments Mod
She definitely played a major role in the releasing of the wild. Read the teaser for "out of the wild" at the back of the book............