Fates and Furies Fates and Furies discussion

President Obama's Pick

Comments Showing 1-17 of 17 (17 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

Lorrea - WhatChaReadin'? President Obama picked Fates & Furies for his favorite book of this year!

message 2: by Dale (new)

Dale Pearl It is on my reading list to read before the end of the year.

message 3: by Anita (last edited Dec 11, 2015 07:12AM) (new) - added it

Anita I have it reserved from the library. I wonder what he read that didn't make his favorite?

Brown Girl Reading He needs to read more cuz this ain't the one!

message 5: by Dale (new)

Dale Pearl Didi wrote: "He needs to read more cuz this ain't the one!"

LoL. I read 20 pages and said nope not for me. Not starting off my new year with this dribble.

Babette Dale wrote: "Didi wrote: "He needs to read more cuz this ain't the one!"

LoL. I read 20 pages and said nope not for me. Not starting off my new year with this dribble."

Keep going -- the slow take off/nuance is all part of the plan. By about halfway in couldn't put it down.

message 7: by Anita (new) - added it

Anita I've gotten the book and I'm 1/2 way through and can't put it down, either. I wish it would be one of my husband's favorites! :)

Brown Girl Reading You've made a good decision. Happy reading this 2016! Dale wrote: "Didi wrote: "He needs to read more cuz this ain't the one!"

LoL. I read 20 pages and said nope not for me. Not starting off my new year with this dribble."

Jane This is my favorite book of 2015 as well. It's brilliant. Constantly surprising, and gorgeously written. Give it another try, Didi.

Brown Girl Reading Euh Nope I have loads of other more interesting books to read. Jane wrote: "This is my favorite book of 2015 as well. It's brilliant. Constantly surprising, and gorgeously written. Give it another try, Didi."

Claire McAlpine I think Michelle Obama's favourite is a worthy read. I read Fates and Furies, but it didn't leave much of an impression.

The Light of the Word by Elizabeth Alexander

message 12: by Jane (new) - rated it 5 stars

Jane Claire, interesting that both of these books are about marriage. Alexander's book is a heartbreaking love letter to a real man who died too young, the author's husband and father of her children. They lived artists' lives--she's a poet, he's a chef and an artist. Gorgeous writing. Fates and Furies is a fictional account of a marriage. The fact that we never really know each other...and that most marriages contain silences and secrets as well as love and lust is the theme. It seems so interesting that these books balance each other in this way. I loved The Light of the World as well.

Debbie Not my favorite book of the year but glad to have read it. It was interesting and thought-provoking. Didn't really like either character, but the book made me think. And isn't that what literature, art, etc. is supposed to do?

Manny I loved reading this book. I loved the lyrical prose, the use of Greek mythology to tell this story yet it seems totally modern. Wonderful characterizations, especially the leads.

Jacqueline Masumian Lorrea(WhatChaReadin'?) wrote: "President Obama picked Fates & Furies for his favorite book of this year!"

I love our president, but couldn't stand the book.

Brown Girl Reading I totally agree Jacqueline! Jacqueline wrote: "Lorrea(WhatChaReadin'?) wrote: "President Obama picked Fates & Furies for his favorite book of this year!"

I love our president, but couldn't stand the book."

message 17: by Iva (last edited Nov 10, 2018 07:11AM) (new) - rated it 2 stars

Iva The book left me feeling dirty but not in a good way.... Maybe it should have been more edited. I don't know. I found the book' s eroticism quite cheap and was also surprised to find that president Obama loved it. Maybe he is related to the author...