Around the Year in 52 Books discussion

The Swans of Fifth Avenue
This topic is about The Swans of Fifth Avenue
S > The Swans of Fifth Avenue, by Melanie Benjamin

Comments Showing 1-5 of 5 (5 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

Amanda Brady | 96 comments I will be reading this book for week 4. I just recently read The Aviators Wife and really enjoyed it. That was the first I had discovered Melanie Benjamin so I think one of her novels is fitting for week 4. The book will be coming out in January as well and I've really been looking forward to it.

message 2: by Joy (new)

Joy | 141 comments I will be curious to see how you like this one, Amanda. I liked Alice I Have Been and loved Mrs. Tom Thumb, so I am not certain which Melanie Benjamin to read next.

Amanda Brady | 96 comments I'm looking forward to Swans because I love Truman Capote. It's probably my most anticipated book of 2016.

I'm glad to hear you loved Mrs. Tom Thumb. I was back and forth between Alice and Tom Thumb and wasn't too thrilled with some of the negative reviews. I think I will try to find a spot on my 2016 list for Mrs. Tom Thumb.

Susan | 100 comments I just finished this, and I think she's done a great job of creating her characters. Some of it was jarring, though, like the one passage from Sinatra's point of view. And the end was sappy. Overall I thought it was a good read.

Breanne (breannerae) | 68 comments I read this for topic #12: A book about reading, books, or an author/writer. After reading In Cold Blood for week 1 I thought it would be fun to get a behind-the-scenes look at Truman Capote. It was indeed fun. I foolishly did not realize that this was fiction when I planned to read it. Don't know how I missed that, but it was a fun, albeit superficial read. It did not enlighten anything for me about Capote, but it was a nice, fanciful bit of escapism.