Beta Reader Group discussion

Covers, Blurbs, 1st Line, Query > Feedback on Cover Art

Comments Showing 1-13 of 13 (13 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Monique (new)

Monique Svazlian | 6 comments Hi friends,

I'd appreciate your opinion and any critical feedback about the cover art for my upcoming book on women's leadership. I want it to appeal to women in business, in the corporate world, millennials and mid-career women.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B1-Y...

Thanks!
Monique

message 2: by Annette (new)

Annette Abernathy | 158 comments Monique,

It's very effective. I want to read the book based on the cover. Studies show that people associate the color white with wealth because of the iphone. For that reason people will be drawn to your cover. Easy to read, clean lines, modern but feminine. The black letters look like business, but the red ones remind me of what is innately feminine. The letters' colors remind me of the unique perspective that women have for anything, but especially leadership. A great cover.

message 3: by Monique (new)

Monique Svazlian | 6 comments Thanks Annette, wow, I really appreciate the feedback. You nailed what I'm going after - a nice balance between masculine and feminine...that is what my book is about! So glad that has come through, and good to know about the white color!

message 4: by Annette (new)

Annette Abernathy | 158 comments Monique,

You're welcome!

Annette

message 5: by Nevada (new)

Nevada (vadatastic) | 53 comments I really don't read these types of books, but even I think it's interesting. Well done.

message 6: by Monique (new)

Monique Svazlian | 6 comments Thanks Nevada, I appreciate the feedback!

message 7: by Nathan (new)

Nathan Wall (goodreadscomnathanwall) | 46 comments It's elegant and professional looking.
I'm not your target demographic, but I found it appealing to look at.
Good job!

message 8: by Monique (new)

Monique Svazlian | 6 comments Hopefully the cover would also inspire you to buy it for a woman friend! Thanks Nathan!

message 9: by Melanie (new)

Melanie Tomlin I haven't actually had a dust jacket produced for my book, but I'm curious... I mentally folded the jacket in my head, and it looked to me like the the text/photo has actually been placed on the front flap instead of the back flap.

Maybe I'm folding it wrong in my head?

message 10: by Monique (new)

Monique Svazlian | 6 comments Thanks Melanie and Julia, I will look into the folding with my designer and make sure it's going to fold the right way.

Julia - thanks for your feedback, I'm happy to hear that as my target demo, you find the cover attractive!

message 11: by Harald (new)

Harald | 51 comments Hi Monique,

Yep, the flaps are reversed.

Agree with other commenters: it's well done. My only suggestion is: if you're doing an e Book version, you might want to up your author name size. In small views (which is what eBooks usually are), your name disappears. Even more important if you're famous in your field. :)

Good luck with it!

message 12: by P.M. (new)

P.M. (pamdrum) | 3 comments I am your target audience (at least I was until I retired last year to write full time). Here are my impressions:

I'd buy the book if I was still working as an executive director full time.

I like the cover. It isn't cluttered. It gets the pertinent information out there. The title is easy to read as a thumbnail.

The flaps are reversed. The blurb should be to the far right (on the front flap when you open the book). The picture and author info should be to the far left (inside the book on the back cover)

Your name does get lost. It's going to be hard to make it stand out because it's long with the three names. Since you're a new author, people aren't likely to know your name so the name won't be a big selling point. However, if you are going to write more books (which I'm assuming is the case) you might want the cover styles to be consistent. The covers become a sort of logo that people recognize. Your name and the font it's in and how it's presented can also become a sort of logo. Think of Nora Roberts or Stephen R Covey - check out their book covers on Amazon. So maybe put your name on two or three lines or use some other visual aid to make it recognizable? Tallon is a fantastic, interesting, memorable name. Maybe make it larger and on it's own line? Try different things and get some opinions.

Hope that helps! Congrats on your accomplishment. Good luck and fantastic sales.

PM Drummond

message 13: by Jack (new)

Jack Kardiac (jackardiac) | 28 comments I'm totally not your demographic or target audience, but I just wanted to weigh in that I think your cover looks perfect. Professional, clean and the colors nicely contrast against each other. :) Great job!