Around the Year in 52 Books discussion

Dark Places
This topic is about Dark Places
Archives > Dark Places, by Gillian Flynn

Comments Showing 1-17 of 17 (17 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

Sarah King (kingbxth) I chose to read Dark Places for the fourth week in January to fulfill the "A book by an author you discovered in 2015" category. I read both Gone Girl and Sharp Objects by Flynn in 2015 and I loved her style of writing and the twisty plot lines.

The description provided on Goodreads:

Libby Day was seven when her mother and two sisters were murdered in “The Satan Sacrifice" of Kinnakee, Kansas.” She survived—and famously testified that her fifteen-year-old brother, Ben, was the killer. Twenty-five years later, the Kill Club—a secret secret society obsessed with notorious crimes—locates Libby and pumps her for details. They hope to discover proof that may free Ben. Libby hopes to turn a profit off her tragic history: She’ll reconnect with the players from that night and report her findings to the club—for a fee. As Libby’s search takes her from shabby Missouri strip clubs to abandoned Oklahoma tourist towns, the unimaginable truth emerges, and Libby finds herself right back where she started—on the run from a killer.

I bought Dark Places at my local bookstore in anticipation of this category and I can just feel it sitting in my 'library' (actually the guest bedroom that's filled with bookshelves...). It wants to be read and I want to read it!

Krissy (krissystewart) | 411 comments This was my favorite Gillian Flynn book. I'm one of the few people that hated Gone Girl.

Brandi (blhofer) | 22 comments Loved this book!

Sophie (sawphie) | 2920 comments I've also planned it for the same week, as I discovered Gone Girl in 2015. This plot sounds good, I'm looking forward to seeing how twisted this story is!

message 5: by EllenZReads (new)

EllenZReads | 174 comments Krissy wrote: "This was my favorite Gillian Flynn book. I'm one of the few people that hated Gone Girl."

I'm another one of those "few people" that hated Gone Girl too! But I read this one quite some time ago and thought it was pretty good.

Brittany (brocmo1) | 28 comments I am reading Dark Places for the first week; A book you meant to read in 2015, but didn't. I loved the shock and twists in Gone Girl so I am hoping Dark Places will be equally as thrilling. I did NOT, however, like Gone Girl either. The writing, creativity and drama were great. I just don't like the outcome.

Sara Rae | 10 comments I am also reading this book for week four. I can't wait, I read Gone Girl in 2015 and I found her writing style to be pretty engaging. Although I was not a big fan of the way Gone Girl ended it was not what I was expecting! And I'm curious what crazy plot twist this one is going to have.

Maria (molokovell0cet) | 13 comments loved loved loved this book! the movie really wasn't that good, but the book had me on the edge of my seat! Gillian Flynn is an amazing writer!

Brittany (brocmo1) | 28 comments Finished the book last night. It took me a little bit to get into (maybe 50 pages) but then I was hooked. Nail-biting suspense and since each chapter is a different characters perspective it made it hard to put down since I wanted to get back to the previous chapters storyline and then by the time I got to it, I was also anxious to get to the other characters storyline. I wasn't 'unhappy' with the ending the way I was in 'Gone Girl' but it wasn't what I expected either. So for me the book was a slow start, great thrilling story and then I felt a little let down with the ending.

Sarah King (kingbxth) Whoa.

This book was twisty, dark, disturbing, terrifying, suspenseful, amazing! By far my favorite Flynn book. I loved the different perspectives and was absolutely enthralled by the mystery. I finished the book saying 'wow that all makes sense!' But I was still blown away by how intricate Flynn is in her plot lines. The characters were relatable enough that you would start to feel sorry for them and then BAM! They do something completely disturbing or ridiculous and you're back to "geeze, this kid is asking for trouble".

My only complaint, and it's not even really a complaint, is that there was a really disturbing part towards the end (view spoiler) that was so graphic I had to put the book down for a second and clear my thoughts. (view spoiler)

Definitely recommend! But not if you can't handle a little blood and satanic sacrifice haha

Breanne (breannerae) | 47 comments I loved all three of Gillian's novels but this one was my favorite! Pretty envious of anyone who still gets to read it for the first time. Enjoy!

star_fire13 | 203 comments Haha it seems like this one is a popular one for week 4, because that's when I'm reading it too! Well, I'm reading it NOW, but it's for week 4. I really really really loved Gone Girl, so I'm hoping I'll love this one too.

message 13: by Jody (new) - added it

Jody (jodybell) | 3469 comments I hated Gone Girl too, but wanted to give her another shot - I might try this one.

Sophie (sawphie) | 2920 comments Dark Places is the second book I'm reading for week 4, an author I discovered in 2015. I loved Gone Girl, especially the audiobook version, so here we go again!

Sophie (sawphie) | 2920 comments I just finished it and am not really impressed. At first I was a bit angry at the goodreads blurb, because it looked spoilery, but now I find it completely miss-leading! The end was not that impressive and for the first time I couldn't really get into the story because of the characters...

Ashley Moore (ashleym99) | 493 comments I read this for week 16: 2019 challenge - a book told from multiple perspectives. I liked this more than Sharp Objects, which is the only other book I have read by Gillian Flynn. I liked the plot and the stories. There were many twists in this so you couldn't figure it out until the end.

Rachel A. (abyssallibrarian) | 2633 comments I read it last month, and I really liked it although not as much as Gone Girl. I haven't tried Sharp Objects yet, but it sounds very interesting too. None of the characters are likable at all, but I was very invested in finding out what happened.

unread topics | mark unread

Books mentioned in this topic

Dark Places (other topics)
Gone Girl (other topics)

Authors mentioned in this topic

Gillian Flynn (other topics)