YA and Beyond discussion

PERSONAL CHALLENGES > Ashley's Challenge 2016

Comments Showing 1-50 of 69 (69 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1

message 1: by Ashley Marie (last edited Dec 31, 2016 07:25AM) (new)

Ashley Marie Goals include 30 books I own that are NOT rereads

I own 650+ edit: 700 now and I need to thin out the shelves a bit, or at least read stuff I have.

I also want to read 10 historical fiction and 10 nonfiction books.

Setting my GR challenge goal for 110 books.

books I own (NOT rereads) - 37
One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest by Ken Kesey The Lies of Locke Lamora (Gentleman Bastard, #1) by Scott Lynch I Am Malala The Story of the Girl Who Stood Up for Education and Was Shot by the Taliban by Malala Yousafzai The Help by Kathryn Stockett Mistborn The Final Empire (Mistborn, #1) by Brandon Sanderson Lord of the Flies by William Golding Hamilton The Revolution by Lin-Manuel Miranda Watership Down by Richard Adams Atonement by Ian McEwan The Raven King (The Raven Cycle, #4) by Maggie Stiefvater The Shadow of the Wind by Carlos Ruiz Zafón Sarah's Key by Tatiana de Rosnay Letters from Rifka by Karen Hesse Darla's Story (Ashfall, #0.5) by Mike Mullin Red Seas Under Red Skies (Gentleman Bastard, #2) by Scott Lynch Burial Rites by Hannah Kent Death Note, Vol. 1 Boredom (Death Note, #1) by Tsugumi Ohba Red Queen (Red Queen, #1) by Victoria Aveyard Sweet Unrest by Lisa Maxwell The Kite Runner by Khaled Hosseini In Cold Blood by Truman Capote Dewey The Small-Town Library Cat Who Touched the World by Vicki Myron Shanghai Girls (Shanghai Girls #1) by Lisa See Soulless (Parasol Protectorate, #1) by Gail Carriger Miss Spitfire Reaching Helen Keller by Sarah Miller Promise of the Wolves (Wolf Chronicles, #1) by Dorothy Hearst Changeless (Parasol Protectorate, #2) by Gail Carriger Shoeless Joe by W.P. Kinsella Rebecca by Daphne du Maurier Blameless (Parasol Protectorate, #3) by Gail Carriger The Golden Compass (His Dark Materials, #1) by Philip Pullman Killing the Rising Sun How America Vanquished World War II Japan by Bill O'Reilly Assassin's Creed Renaissance (Assassin's Creed, #1) by Oliver Bowden In the Garden of Beasts Love, Terror, and an American Family in Hitler's Berlin by Erik Larson Daughter of the Gods A Novel of Ancient Egypt by Stephanie Thornton The Call of the Wild and White Fang by Jack London Dark Places by Gillian Flynn

historical fiction - 18
Prisoner of Night and Fog (Prisoner of Night and Fog, #1) by Anne Blankman Conspiracy of Blood and Smoke (Prisoner of Night and Fog, #2) by Anne Blankman The Help by Kathryn Stockett Wolf by Wolf (Wolf by Wolf, #1) by Ryan Graudin Atonement by Ian McEwan The Boy in the Striped Pajamas by John Boyne The Shadow of the Wind by Carlos Ruiz Zafón Sarah's Key by Tatiana de Rosnay Letters from Rifka by Karen Hesse Traitor Angels by Anne Blankman Burial Rites by Hannah Kent When the Italian Came to Stay by A.R. Conti Fulwell Between Shades of Gray by Ruta Sepetys Shanghai Girls (Shanghai Girls #1) by Lisa See Miss Spitfire Reaching Helen Keller by Sarah Miller Blood for Blood (Wolf By Wolf, #2) by Ryan Graudin Assassin's Creed Renaissance (Assassin's Creed, #1) by Oliver Bowden Daughter of the Gods A Novel of Ancient Egypt by Stephanie Thornton

nonfiction - 17
The Art of War by Sun Tzu Hamilton The Revolution by Lin-Manuel Miranda Dead Wake The Last Crossing of the Lusitania by Erik Larson In the Heart of the Sea The Tragedy of the Whaleship Essex by Nathaniel Philbrick Zealot The Life and Times of Jesus of Nazareth by Reza Aslan 12 Years a Slave by Solomon Northup Dewey The Small-Town Library Cat Who Touched the World by Vicki Myron In Cold Blood by Truman Capote The Partly Cloudy Patriot by Sarah Vowell The Sound the Stars Make Rushing Through the Sky The Writings of Jane Johnston Schoolcraft by Jane Johnston Schoolcraft Sleeping with the Enemy Coco Chanel's Secret War by Hal Vaughan You're Never Weird on the Internet (Almost) by Felicia Day Mermaids and Medicine Women Native Myths and Legends by Basil Johnston Atlas of Great Lakes Indian History by Helen Hornbeck Tanner Moneyball by Michael Lewis Killing the Rising Sun How America Vanquished World War II Japan by Bill O'Reilly In the Garden of Beasts Love, Terror, and an American Family in Hitler's Berlin by Erik Larson

rereads - 12
Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone (Harry Potter, #1) by J.K. Rowling Trickster's Choice (Daughter of the Lioness, #1) by Tamora Pierce The Phantom of the Opera by Gaston Leroux Trickster's Queen (Daughter of the Lioness, #2) by Tamora Pierce Tithe A Modern Faerie Tale (Modern Faerie Tales, #1) by Holly Black The Invasion (Animorphs, #1) by Katherine Applegate The Visitor (Animorphs, #2) by Katherine Applegate Phantom by Susan Kay Little House in the Big Woods (Little House, #1) by Laura Ingalls Wilder To Kill a Mockingbird by Harper Lee Ashfall (Ashfall, #1) by Mike Mullin Ready Player One by Ernest Cline

message 2: by Heidi (new)

Heidi | 6961 comments Mod
Yowza 650+!!! Good goals Ashley :)

message 3: by Brigid ✩ (new)

Brigid ✩ | 2471 comments Mod
Yaaay awesome goals Ashley! :D

message 4: by Ashley Marie (new)

Ashley Marie @Heidi it's getting ridiculous. We moved into a house that has built-in bookshelves on either side of the fireplace and somehow I STILL barely have room for everything :P

message 5: by Ashley Marie (last edited Dec 19, 2015 07:25AM) (new)

Ashley Marie I'm planning to tackle a couple big books in 2016, particularly
Alexander Hamilton by Ron Chernow Alexander Hamilton and Fosse by Sam Wasson Fosse, and possibly Sacajawea by Anna Lee Waldo Sacajawea

message 6: by Jenny (new)

Jenny (juliababyjen) | 1572 comments Good luck Ashley!

*b*l*u*e*m*o*o*n* | 986 comments Mod
great goals, Ashley! I ditto on Heidi's exclamation! 650+ books! wow!!!

message 8: by Ashley Marie (last edited Jan 02, 2016 06:46AM) (new)

Ashley Marie Also trying to keep my rereads to a minimum (she says as she starts off the year with Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone), but they will or should be few and far between, and mainly books that I haven't read since I was in high school or college -- thus, at minimum, I will have last read these books five years ago.

For right now the reread list includes
Lolita by Vladimir Nabokov To Kill a Mockingbird by Harper Lee The Phantom of the Opera by Gaston Leroux Phantom by Susan Kay

message 9: by Heidi (new)

Good luck Ashley :)

message 10: by Ashley Marie (last edited Feb 02, 2016 06:06AM) (new)

Ashley Marie January

10 books read
Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone (Harry Potter, #1) by J.K. Rowling Vanya and Sonia and Masha and Spike by Christopher Durang Manners & Mutiny (Finishing School, #4) by Gail Carriger Erebos by Ursula Poznanski Clybourne Park by Bruce Norris This Is Where It Ends by Marieke Nijkamp The Winner's Curse (The Winner's Trilogy, #1) by Marie Rutkoski The Art of War by Sun Tzu Prisoner of Night and Fog (Prisoner of Night and Fog, #1) by Anne Blankman One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest by Ken Kesey

Of those, 1 counts for historical fiction
1 counts for nonfiction
And 1 counts for owned-read

I'm keeping a full tally in the first post but I like this month-by-month update idea too.

message 11: by Brigid ✩ (new)

Awesome, Ashley!!

message 12: by Heidi (new)

Yay Ashley!

message 13: by Ashley Marie (new)

Ashley Marie So far only 3 rereads this year xD started keeping track of those too, I figured why not.

message 14: by Ashley Marie (last edited Mar 28, 2016 06:12AM) (new)

Ashley Marie February

7 books read
The Lies of Locke Lamora (Gentleman Bastard, #1) by Scott Lynch Conspiracy of Blood and Smoke (Prisoner of Night and Fog, #2) by Anne Blankman It by Stephen King Trickster's Choice (Daughter of the Lioness, #1) by Tamora Pierce The Phantom of the Opera by Gaston Leroux Truthwitch (The Witchlands, #1) by Susan Dennard I Am Malala The Girl Who Stood Up for Education and Was Shot by the Taliban by Malala Yousafzai

2 owned-read
1 historical fiction
2 rereads, both of which were SO worth it

message 15: by Jenny (new)

Jenny (juliababyjen) | 1572 comments Nice job so far Ashley!

message 16: by Brigid ✩ (new)

Way to go, Ashley! :)

Read IT long time ago, but I was really disappointed in the ending

it's been awhile (view spoiler) was that the same as the movie ending?

How was Truthwitch? Been hearing mixed reviews...

message 18: by Ashley Marie (new)

Ashley Marie ummmm none that I recall, but it's possible. I know they were able to kill IT and then they all basically went back to their lives and were able to fully move on and forget each other -- I found the ending unexpectedly touching :)

I thought Truthwitch was very good, I'm excited for book 2. It's a bit of a curveball because there's no real info-dumping, some people felt lost because it's sort of a catch-on-as-you-read thing she's got going on.

Cool thanks

Maybe I'm thinking of a different book. hahahaha...

message 20: by Ashley Marie (last edited Apr 01, 2016 10:18AM) (new)

Ashley Marie March

10 books read
Magic Bites (Kate Daniels, #1) by Ilona Andrews Stars Above (The Lunar Chronicles #5) by Marissa Meyer The Help by Kathryn Stockett I Hunt Killers (Jasper Dent, #1) by Barry Lyga Wolf By Wolf (Wolf By Wolf, #1) by Ryan Graudin Game (Jasper Dent, #2) by Barry Lyga Mistborn The Final Empire (Mistborn, #1) by Brandon Sanderson Blood of My Blood (Jasper Dent, #3) by Barry Lyga Blood Bound (Mercy Thompson, #2) by Patricia Briggs Lord of the Flies by William Golding

3 owned-read
2 historical fiction

message 21: by Brigid ✩ (new)

Wow that's a lot of books––and it's not even the end of the month yet! Nice job. :D

message 22: by Ashley Marie (new)

Ashley Marie Brigid *Flying Kick-a-pow!* wrote: "Wow that's a lot of books––and it's not even the end of the month yet! Nice job. :D"

6/10 were audiobooks -- they help SO MUCH. I'm hoping to finish Heart-Shaped Box in the next few days, I was supposed to have finished it last month xD

message 23: by Brigid ✩ (new)

Cool! I should probably try more audiobooks; I haven't really listened to any since I was a kid, haha. My biggest concern is that my attention will wander if I'm listening to something rather than reading it––but then again that happens to me when I'm reading normally. :P

message 24: by Heidi (new)

audiobooks are like gold to me- I would have so many less books read without them!

message 25: by Ashley Marie (new)

Ashley Marie Brigid *Flying Kick-a-pow!* wrote: "Cool! I should probably try more audiobooks; I haven't really listened to any since I was a kid, haha. My biggest concern is that my attention will wander if I'm listening to something rather than ..."

I think that's why I started out listening to books I already knew -- I have the first 5 HP books on audio and love them to death.

message 26: by Ashley Marie (last edited May 01, 2016 06:12AM) (new)

Ashley Marie April
Not a good month for reading, I was really busy! But I managed to sneak a few in.

5 books read
Owl and the City of Angels (Adventures of Owl, #2) by Kristi Charish Riders (Riders, #1) by Veronica Rossi Hamilton The Revolution by Lin-Manuel Miranda Deadpool The Complete Collection - Volume 1 by Daniel Way Trickster's Queen (Daughter of the Lioness, #2) by Tamora Pierce

1 nonfiction
1 owned-read
1 reread

message 27: by Jenny (new)

Jenny (juliababyjen) | 1572 comments Nice job Ashley!

still a pretty good reading month! You still have a few more days to maybe squeeze one in if you want ^_^

message 29: by Brigid ✩ (new)

Awesome, Ashley! 6 books in one month is great!! :)

message 30: by Ashley Marie (new)

Ashley Marie Thanks guys :) Hopefully I can finish Watership in the next two days, that's the one I'm not sure about.

message 31: by Brigid ✩ (new)

Haha yeah, that book's a bit long/dense. Hope you're enjoying it, though!

message 32: by Ashley Marie (new)

Ashley Marie Very much!

message 33: by Brigid ✩ (new)

Yay!! :D

message 34: by Ashley Marie (new)

Ashley Marie Didn't finish Watership in time, but I think I'll be wrapping it up tonight (and then watch the movie, bc Doc found it on Netflix).

message 35: by Ashley Marie (last edited May 31, 2016 11:54AM) (new)

Ashley Marie May

14 books read
Batman Harley Quinn by Paul Dini Watership Down by Richard Adams Dead Wake The Last Crossing of the Lusitania by Erik Larson The Raven King (The Raven Cycle, #4) by Maggie Stiefvater Atonement by Ian McEwan Spider's Bite (Elemental Assassin, #1) by Jennifer Estep Doubt  by John Patrick Shanley The Boy in the Striped Pajamas by John Boyne The Invasion (Animorphs, #1) by Katherine Applegate The Visitor (Animorphs, #2) by Katherine Applegate Tithe (Modern Faerie Tales, #1) by Holly Black The Templar Legacy (Cotton Malone, #1) by Steve Berry Over Sea, Under Stone by Susan Cooper The Time Machine by H.G. Wells

1 nonfiction
3 owned-read
2 historical fiction
3 rereads

message 36: by Heidi (new)

Yay!

message 37: by Jenny (new)

Jenny (juliababyjen) | 1572 comments Nice Ashley!

message 38: by Brigid ✩ (new)

Woot woot! Excellent progress, Ashley!!

message 39: by Elora (new)

Elora Mitchell | 578 comments Nice!

message 40: by Ashley Marie (last edited Jun 30, 2016 06:08PM) (new)

Ashley Marie June

8 books read
Wit - Acting Edition by Margaret Edson Sarah's Key by Tatiana de Rosnay In the Heart of the Sea The Tragedy of the Whaleship Essex by Nathaniel Philbrick Zealot The Life and Times of Jesus of Nazareth by Reza Aslan Traitor Angels by Anne Blankman Letters from Rifka by Karen Hesse The Shadow of the Wind by Carlos Ruiz Zafón Darla's Story (Ashfall, #0.5) by Mike Mullin

4 owned-read
2 nonfiction
4 historical fiction

Met my goal of 10 historical fiction books!

message 41: by Brigid ✩ (new)

Nice!! Congrats on reaching your historical fiction goal! :)

message 42: by Heidi (new)

Yay! Keep it up :)

message 43: by Donna (new)

Donna (bookdragongirl) Great job Ashley!

message 44: by Ashley Marie (last edited Aug 01, 2016 06:26AM) (new)

Ashley Marie July

10 books read
Red Seas Under Red Skies (Gentleman Bastard, #2) by Scott Lynch Burial Rites by Hannah Kent 12 Years a Slave by Solomon Northup Paper and Fire (The Great Library, #2) by Rachel Caine Lacero by Andy Weir The Star-Touched Queen (The Star-Touched Queen, #1) by Roshani Chokshi Phantom by Susan Kay Little House in the Big Woods (Little House, #1) by Laura Ingalls Wilder Death Note, Vol. 1 Boredom (Death Note, #1) by Tsugumi Ohba Red Queen (Red Queen, #1) by Victoria Aveyard

4 owned-read
1 nonfiction
1 historical fiction
2 rereads

I reread Little House in the Big Woods in one sitting -- Doc bought me a first edition copy (no dust jacket but it's still gorgeous) and it was such a fantastic, nostalgic read <3

message 45: by Jenny (new)

Jenny (juliababyjen) | 1572 comments Nice, Ashley! I love rereading the Little House books :)

message 46: by Heidi (new)

Yay! Congrats Ashley.

message 47: by Brigid ✩ (new)

Great job Ashley! Aww I loved the Little House books when I was a kid. I should re-read those ... and I don't think I ever got around to finishing the entire series, so I should do that.

message 48: by Heidi (new)

I would like to re-read it too Brigid -as well as all the Anne of Green Gables books. Maybe that will be one of my yearly challenges soon!

message 49: by Ashley Marie (new)

Ashley Marie Make sure you check out the Rocky Ridge books after the Little House books, those are good too!

message 50: by Ashley Marie (last edited Aug 31, 2016 05:47AM) (new)

Ashley Marie August

14 books read

*2 of them being oneshot things that really shouldn't count

To Kill a Mockingbird by Harper Lee The Republic of Thieves (Gentleman Bastard, #3) by Scott Lynch Harry Potter and the Cursed Child - Parts One and Two (Harry Potter, #8) by J.K. Rowling Sweet Unrest by Lisa Maxwell Wax by Gina Damico Annie's Day by Andy Weir Diary of an AssCan A Mark Watney Short Story (The Martian, Prequel) by Andy Weir The Kite Runner by Khaled Hosseini In Cold Blood by Truman Capote Not a Drop to Drink (Not a Drop to Drink, #1) by Mindy McGinnis Dewey The Small-Town Library Cat Who Touched the World by Vicki Myron The Rest of Us Just Live Here by Patrick Ness The Partly Cloudy Patriot by Sarah Vowell The Sound the Stars Make Rushing Through the Sky The Writings of Jane Johnston Schoolcraft by Jane Johnston Schoolcraft

4 owned-read
4 nonfiction
1 reread

« previous 1