Eclipse (The Twilight Saga, #3) Eclipse discussion

Rosalie Hale's conflicts

Comments Showing 1-4 of 4 (4 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

KarmaSc0rpi0n I sympathize with her and actually get where she's coming from but she's an example of someone who perpetuates the idea that women are responsible for why they've been raped. She obviously knew what was done to her was wrong by him and something was seriously wrong with her fiancé but in the end she blames herself for being too beautiful, it being her price for her beauty which is wrong on all levels. Being beautiful doesn't give anyone the right to violate you. And rape in general usually has nothing to do with looks, but is about power so blaming it on such is completely inaccurate. But I liked Rosalie just due to the fact that she was the only one to see the real consequences of becoming a vampire.

Maria My issue with Rosalie was that she went from dark to darker - rather then coming to the light.

And I didn't think she was characterized correctly in the movie.
At least pick a proper blonde?

Aubrey Bennett M wrote: "My issue with Rosalie was that she went from dark to darker - rather then coming to the light.

And I didn't think she was characterized correctly in the movie.
At least pick a proper blonde?"

I know that what you said is your opinion, but I just have a question? How did Rosalie go from dark to darker? She was a little dark in the beginning, because she didn't want to share her story or even get to know or like Bella. As the series continued, Rosalie began to open up and tell Bella things she probably wouldn't have told her unless Bella tried to understand and cope with her. Although she did not like the choice Bella made of becoming a vampire, she still learned to like Bella and treat her as her sister. She had always wanted a baby, so she tried to help take care of Renesmee when Bella had to go hunt or do something without Renesmee. This is just my opinion, but I feel like Rosalie was a very closed person, and she began to trust people more throughout the series. She was able to talk to people more freely, and share her opinions. She began to feel better with how her life would change when Bella became a vampire.

message 4: by Liz (new) - rated it 1 star

Liz I admit that I have not read "Eclipse" (couldn't get past the fist paragraph) but I've become familiar with Rosalie's backstory by reading up on her wiki article and watching her backstory clip from the movie. I think she's a very interesting and sympathetic character, but an incomplete one. As others have pointed out, blaming her beauty on her rape is very disturbing, and the fact that no one corrects her on that is more-so.

I feel that way about the other vampire characters, especially Alice. Interesting backstories without resolutions. It would be great if these characters were able to reconcile with their families and their own traumas.