What's the Name of That Book??? discussion

UNSOLVED: One specific book > Sci-fi, 2013(ish), Earth invaded, various people are some sort of champions and 'activated''

Comments Showing 1-13 of 13 (13 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Michele (new)

Michele | 47 comments I was in a bookshop, I think 2013, picking up something for somebody else. On the aisle-end, in what I think was the newly published section was the book I'm now after. I picked up, read the blurb, thought I'll come back for that and when I did it was gone. Naturally I can't remember the title!

What I do remember:

Sci-Fi.

Think it was standard adult fiction not young adult.

Based on the blurb on the back: Earth was being invaded by aliens. Certain individuals scattered across the world were some sort of 'champions' who were 'activated' by the aliens arrival.

I've no idea if the 'champions' were human or not, how they got here, if they knew they were different before the aliens arrived or what they did afterwards.

In fact I don't know a lot more than I do know but I'd like to know more!

Any suggestions?

Thanks
Michele

message 2: by Kris (new)

Kris | 33505 comments Mod
Michele, do these champions have special powers they were born with or engineered to have (as in Defenders by Will McIntosh)?

Can describe a few of the main characters?

Do you remember the cover art?

message 3: by Valerie (new)

Valerie (valeriekemp) | 273 comments I know you said it was adult fiction, but what you're describing happens in The 5th Wave which I believe came out in 2013.

message 4: by Michele (new)

Michele | 47 comments Valerie wrote: "I know you said it was adult fiction, but what you're describing happens in The 5th Wave which I believe came out in 2013."
Thanks Valerie but not The Fifth Wave I'm afraid.

message 5: by Michele (new)

Michele | 47 comments Kris wrote: "Michele, do these champions have special powers they were born with or engineered to have (as in Defenders by Will McIntosh)?

Can describe a few of the main charac..."

Sorry Kris, I only read the blurb on the back cover, I don't know anything about the characters, who they were or how they came to be defenders.

I probably looked at the front cover but I remember nothing about it.

I'm starting to think I'm dreaming up an imaginary book :(

message 6: by Michele (new)

Michele | 47 comments Trying again - anyone any ideas?

This'll teach me to pick up a book then put it down and wander off thinking it will still be there later...

message 7: by Kate (new)

Kate | 47 comments Is it The Calling by James Frey? (Sorry no link I'm on mobile) it was written in 2014 but sounds pretty similar to what you're looking for.

message 8: by Kris (new)

The Calling by James Frey for Kate's suggestion.

message 9: by [deleted user] (new)

message 10: by Michele (last edited Apr 07, 2016 02:29PM) (new)

Michele | 47 comments Neither The Calling nor The Visitor I'm afraid but thanks for the ideas - more books for the to-be-read pile. ☺

message 11: by Jessica (new)

Jessica | 5 comments How about "I am Number Four?" It doesn't fit the exact description but it's pretty close to it.

message 12: by Kris (new)

I Am Number Four by Pittacus Lore for Jessica's suggestion.

message 13: by Lobstergirl, au gratin (new)

Lobstergirl | 37834 comments Mod
Michele, are you still looking for this or did you find it?