Horror Aficionados discussion

Novels > Looking for a good book about New England lore

Comments Showing 1-10 of 10 (10 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Nikki (new)

Nikki (nspardy) Hello, I am looking to find a good book about New England lore. An emphasis on historical accuracy and documentation is a must. Thanks in advance!

message 2: by Jeff (new)

Jeff | 564 comments Hi Nikki, New England lore covers a lot of ground. What type of lore are you talking about. I usually specialize in the Holiday aspect of it. Concerning mostly Halloween, the supernatural and of course, Yuletide lore.

message 3: by Nikki (new)

Nikki (nspardy) Initially, I was looking for something region-specific for Salem or Danvers, MA. But I've found its so hard to find a book that isn't kitchy (based on reviews). I definitely am interested in supernatural and Yuletide lore, but really something that is rich in historical facts and reads well. Any help would be very much appreciated!

message 4: by Holly (last edited Dec 11, 2015 04:01AM) (new)

Holly (goldikova) The Heretic's Daughter by Kathleen Kent The Heretic's Daughter

This a factual telling of the incidents in Salem, written by a descendant of a Salem witch trial survivor. This book is heartbreaking.

message 5: by Jeff (new)

Jeff | 564 comments I think when your looking for factual based material, it almost has to be, I say almost, a documentary or reference book style. I've collected a number of different Christmas books, a few that are the world book of Christmas. A series of hardcover books discussing the Christmas season in different countries, describing old and ancient customs that have stood the test of time and that are still continued on today in those regions.

One of which I have is The old magic of Christmas which I just got it covers everything from Yule tide spirits and fairies to Krampus and magic users. But region specific is tough.

The Horror author Hunter Shea has written too great horror books recently about real urban myths and made horror novels out of them One of which is called the Dover Demon, based in Dover, MA that seem to have their own cryptid there. But I haven't heard of anything about Danvers. I live in northern Rhode island and go to Salem quite often so I know about that area. Danvers not so much.

message 6: by Perry (new)

Perry Lake | 306 comments Danvers was originally named Salem Village and some of those accused of witchcraft in 1692 lived there. That historical fact, along with its massive insane asylum, made Danvers the inspiration for HP Lovecraft's fictional city of Arkham.

message 7: by Char (new)

Char  | 13874 comments Mod
Horror Guide to Massachusetts
I'm not sure if this would work, but this volume has collected tales from all over the Bay State, as well as notes about movies, history, etc..

message 8: by Nikki (new)

Nikki (nspardy) These were very helpful suggestions!!!

message 9: by Char (new)

Char  | 13874 comments Mod
I'm glad you found some help, Nikki.

message 10: by Eric (new)

Eric Compton (goodreadscomdenimandletters) | 54 comments Christopher Golden put together a great compilation called: 'Wicked Seasons: The Journal of New England Horror Writers'. Amazon has it for $2.99 digital or $11.95 hard copy. Not sure the history or factual content is there for you but worth taking a peek.