How to Promote YOUR book on Amazon discussion

General > Do you wish people would stop punishing Amazon?

Comments Showing 1-7 of 7 (7 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Lisa (new)

Lisa Marie Gabriel (lisamariegabriel) | 12 comments Today I posted a link my newest short story on my personal Facebook feed only to have a friend say it sounded intriguing but she wouldn't read it because Amazon was the Walmart of the book world. I have noticed we get anti-Amazon campaigns coming up on a regular basis - boycott them for this and boycott them for that. Maybe I am just venting, but I do wish people would think about the small businesses as well as the self publishing writers who use Amazon to make a living. Vent over...

message 2: by Lynne (new)

Lynne Stringer | 38 comments That's a good point. Maybe you could talk to your friend nicely and point that out.

message 3: by Lisa (new)

Lisa Marie Gabriel (lisamariegabriel) | 12 comments I did, Lynne. :) I think it is more pervasive than one friend though. I have quite a large circle of Facebook buddies and it always seems to happen in peak shopping times. Someone will have a little moan about how badly Amazon treat their pack house workers, how much tax they dodge or how they are killing book stores and next thing you know there is yet another "Let's boycott Amazon" campaign running. Then sales go off...

message 4: by Lynne (new)

Lynne Stringer | 38 comments It is, but there's not much we can do about it in the wider circle. We can only go as far as our own reach.

message 5: by Lisa (new)

Lisa Marie Gabriel (lisamariegabriel) | 12 comments Very true

message 6: by Joseph (new)

Joseph | 7 comments People seem to define themselves more by the things they stand against than by the things that they actually believe in. Large companies are convenient to hate because they are faceless entities, rather than actual people.
However, I have to wonder if people who go on these campaigns would actually buy a friend's book anyway. It seems to be more about being a part of movement for them, rather than actually protecting individuals (like warehouse workers). Is that too uncharitable of me?

message 7: by Lisa (new)

Lisa Marie Gabriel (lisamariegabriel) | 12 comments Joseph wrote: "People seem to define themselves more by the things they stand against than by the things that they actually believe in. Large companies are convenient to hate because they are faceless entities, r..."

I am inclined to agree with you Joseph.