The Honest Truth The Honest Truth discussion

External conflict

Comments Showing 1-15 of 15 (15 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Vincenzo (new)

Vincenzo Spiniello I am reading the Honest Truth. First off, I am going to start off with external conflict. In this book an example of external conflict is when the boy is talked about on the news about being missing. He went on a trip with his dog and no grown ups by his side. Now he is seen on the news as a missing child. So now he has to deal with the fact the people think he is missing. Thoughts below.

message 2: by Ryan.Phelan (new) - added it

Ryan.Phelan I am reading the same book!! But I think this is more of an internal conflict because he chooses to leave because he has issues with himself and not others. I also think this is internal because he knows he is missing and he can't tell anyone, or he will be brought home. Thoughts?

message 3: by Vincenzo (new)

Vincenzo Spiniello It is sort of both because he has to deal with the fact that people think he is missing which is external. It's internal because he feels worried that his parents are worried.

message 4: by Ryan.Phelan (new) - added it

Ryan.Phelan Vincenzo wrote: "It is sort of both because he has to deal with the fact that people think he is missing which is external. It's internal because he feels worried that his parents are worried."

I don't agree because I think his internal conflict is that he is dying soon and he wants to make it to the mountain. I don't think he is worried about his parents. Maybe he is worried about Jessie, but he is definitely not worried about his parents.

message 5: by Vincenzo (new)

Vincenzo Spiniello Maybe you are right about that he wants to make the mountain really soon. But I think that he might be worried about his parents because his parents probably reported that there is a missing child. If you don't think so, that's fine. His parents might be worried about his safety.

message 6: by Ryan.Phelan (new) - added it

Ryan.Phelan He is not worried that his parents are worried because he made the decision to leave and travel to the mountain. If he thought his parents were worried he probably would have returned by now.

message 7: by Vincenzo (new)

Vincenzo Spiniello I don't think that he would have returned home because I don't think that he would ever give up to reach the top of the mountain. I don't think that he would have listened to his parents I think that he would keep doing what he is doing and never give up.

message 8: by Ryan.Phelan (new) - added it

Ryan.Phelan I agree with you on that. I think that his internal conflict is that he has tough decision to make: Should he go on, or should he lay down to die? I think the climax is that he has all this pain, he really wants to make it to the mountain, and he has a very tough decision to make.

message 9: by Vincenzo (new)

Vincenzo Spiniello You are right on the very tough decision he has to make. I think that he would make a wise decision in this situation. What do you mean by saying the climax is all of his pain? That is the only question I have for you. Everything I agree with you on. Just answer my very thoughtful question.

message 10: by Ryan.Phelan (new) - added it

Ryan.Phelan What page are you on? Maybe you have not gotten up to that part yet. I think all the pain is the pain in his head, seeing Beau as a tired cold dog, and the decision he has to make, but I think the most painful thing for him is being away from Jessie and his family. Any thoughts?

message 11: by Vincenzo (new)

Vincenzo Spiniello I finished the book. I did get up to the part yet. Now that I'm re-thinking where the pain is. I agree that the pain is in his head. I also think that you're right when you're saying that he is seeing Beau in very bad shape. He has a lot going on right now. He will make a very good decision, later on in the book. It will really impact the story, and how it will flow later on. I think it is very painful being away from his family but I think he will deal with it.

message 12: by Ryan.Phelan (new) - added it

Ryan.Phelan I agree. He does have a lot going on. He has too much to handle, but he continues through his journey. He is very brave and courageous. He knows what he wants to do and sticks with it. Even though he is away from Jessie and his family, he pursues his dream and goal, which is to get to the top of the mountain. Another painful thing is that he has not slept in days and he hasn't had real, good food in a while. He is staying strong and following through with his goal. Any thoughts.

message 13: by Vincenzo (new)

Vincenzo Spiniello I like how you said he was brave and courageous. I like how the author created this character, because it really makes the story interesting. It really makes me want to read more of this book. Also I'm sure he will find a way to find food, and get something to eat. If he doesn't then he will have a lot more to handle then before. He will be in terrible shape if he doesn't find food or if he doesn't get any sleep in the next few days. He will stay strong throughout the book. Any thoughts.

message 14: by Ryan.Phelan (new) - added it

Ryan.Phelan I think that he will keep fighting even if he does not find food. I think he will stay strong and be able to make it to the top of the mountain. He is determined to achieve his goal. If he doesn't, he will die trying. He will not give up.

Davynp2 I agree with you when you talk about not giving up. Part of the reason He's not giving up is because of his dog