Writers and Readers discussion

Writers Corner > writing in different genres

Comments Showing 1-11 of 11 (11 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Safa (new)

Safa Shaqsy (safashaqsy) | 11 comments I was wondering if writers can write different novels in different genres..
is it possible? or its better to stick to one genre?

message 2: by Dwayne (new)

Dwayne Fry Safa wrote: "I was wondering if writers can write different novels in different genres..
is it possible? or its better to stick to one genre?"

Yes. It's possible. Whether or not it's better... that's really up to the author and what they want to accomplish. Personally, I could not stand to be confined to one genre. Some writers might be perfectly comfortable with it.

message 3: by Tyler (new)

Tyler Woods I enjoy the "new turf" of a different genre. I stick to similar grouping with my last three books being: non-fiction guide; dystopian fiction (with a sequel), and my current work is contemporary religious fiction.

message 4: by [deleted user] (new)

My stories stay the same. Mystery/Suspense.

message 5: by A.F. (new)

A.F. (scribe77) | 1777 comments Mod
I write in different genres all the time. Fantasy, horror, sci-fi, poetry. I write what I enjoy, it doesn't matter the genre.

Also, I moved this topic to the Writers folder. For future reference, all general writing discussions for the group go there.

message 6: by Jim (new)

Jim Vuksic | 111 comments Stephen King and J.K. Rowling apparently have no issue regarding writing in different genres. Mr. King has written fantasy, mystery and science-fiction. Ms. Rowling has written fantasy and mystery...so far. Crossing over hasn't diminished their status as commercially successful, best-selling authors in the least.

message 7: by David (new)

David Staniforth (davidstaniforth) | 21 comments After writing 5 fantasy novels, I wrote a psychological thriller, because I simply had a story that I wanted to tell and it suited that genre better. The thriller is by far my top selling novel, but I will still write fantasy because I enjoy writing it. The best part of this switch is dedicated thriller readers that enjoyed my thriller are now giving my fantasy a read; what's more, they are enjoying the discovery.

In short: write for yourself, not for an audience.

message 8: by Safa (new)

Safa Shaqsy (safashaqsy) | 11 comments that's great!
because I had a lot of ideas in different genres.
I think it's more fun to write novels in different genres.

message 9: by Cheryl (new)

Cheryl Landmark (clandmark) | 15 comments My books are different genres--two fantasies, a young adult adventure, and a dog detective mystery. I've also published a small book of nature poetry and a short children's story. I agree with everyone else here. Write what you enjoy.

message 10: by Denise (new)

Denise Baer I've published two novels in different genres. As an unknown author, I know it makes it difficult to build a following, but I write what comes to me. I can't constrict myself to one genre or one of popularity.

message 11: by Hock (new)

Hock Tjoa (hockgtjoa) | 8 comments If writing for a living, it's probably best to work in the same genre. Make changes with forethought, etc.

I write because I want to, love to and, really, feel the urge to. Gotta follow that star . . .