2015 Reading Challenge [Closed] discussion

2015 Plans > Kateryna's 2015 Challenge - FINISHED!

Comments Showing 1-10 of 10 (10 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Kateryna (last edited Dec 10, 2015 12:10AM) (new)

Kateryna Finally I am putting together my 2015 Reading Challenge list.

✔ 1. A book with more than 500 pages: Demons by Fyodor Dostoyevsky
✔ 2. A classic romance: Howards End by E.M.Forster
✔ 3. A book that became a movie: Before I go to Sleep by S.J.Watson
✔ 4. A book published this year: Inside the O’Briens by Lisa Genova
✔ 5. A book with a number in the title: Station Eleven by Emily Mandel
✔ 6. A book written by someone under: 30 The Heart is a Lonely Hunter by Carson McCullers
✔ 7. A book with nonhuman characters: Into the Wild by Erin Hunter
✔ 8. A funny book: My Man Jeeves by P.G.Wodehouse
✔ 9. A book by a female author: The Cinderella Murder by Marry Higgins Clark
✔ 10. A mystery or thriller: The Girl on the Train by Paula Hawkins
✔ 11. A book with a one-word title: Revival by Stephan King
✔ 12. A book of short stories: Nine Stories by J.D.Salinger
✔ 13. A book set in a different country: The Rent Collector by Camron Wright
✔ 14. A nonfiction book: In the Heart of the Sea by Nathaniel Philbrick
✔ 15. A popular author’s first book: The Mysterious Affair at Styles by Agatha Christie
✔ 16. A book from an author you love: The House of the Dead by Fyodor Dostoyevsky
✔ 17. A book a friend recommended: When the Moon is Low by Nadia Hashimi
✔ 18. A Pulitzer Prize-winning book: A Visit from the Goon Squad by Jennifer Egan
✔ 19. A book based on a true story: In Cold Blood by Truman Capote
✔ 20. A book at the bottom of your to-read list: The Good Soldier by Ford Madox Ford
✔ 21. A book your mom loves: Their Eyes were Watching God by Zora Neale Hurston
✔ 22. A book that scares you: No one gets out alive by Adam Nevill
✔ 23. A book more than 100 years old: Anne of Green Gables by L.M.Montgomery
✔ 24. A book based entirely on its cover: The Cage by Megan Shepherd
✔ 25. A book you were supposed to read in school but didn’t: Fathers and Sons by Ivan Turgenev
✔ 26. A memoir: Bossypants by Tina Frey
✔ 27. A book you can finish in a day: Chess Story by Stefan Zweig
✔ 28. A book with antonyms in the title: Big Little Lies by Liane Moriarty
✔ 29. A book set somewhere you’ve always wanted to visit: Mademoiselle Chanel by C.W.Gortner
✔ 30. A book that came out the year you were born: The Witches of Eastweak by John Updike
✔ 31. A book with bad reviews: The Heart Goes Last by Margaret Atwood
✔ 32. A trilogy: The Forsyte Saga by John Galsworthy
✔ 33. A book from your childhood: Tom Soyer Abroad by Mark Twain
✔ 34. A book with a love triangle: The Little Lady of the Big House by Jack London
✔ 35. A book set in the future: The Martian by Andy Weir
✔ 36. A book set in high school: Looking for Alaska by John Green
✔ 37. A book with a color in the title: The Color Purple by Alice Walker
✔ 38. A book that made you cry: The Fault in Our Stars by John Green
✔ 39. A book with magic: A Darker Shade of Magic by V.E. Schwab
✔ 40. A graphic novel: Blankets by Craig Thompson
✔ 41. A book by an author you’ve never read before: Life of Pi by Yann Martel
✔ 42. A book you own but have never read: A Handful of Dust by Evelyn Waugh
✔ 43. A book that takes place in your hometown: Village Evenings near Dikanka by Nikolai Gogol
✔ 44. A book that was originally written in a different language: Thérèse Raquin by Emile Zola
✔ 45. A book set during Christmas: Skipping Christmas by John Grisham
✔ 46. A book written by an author with your same initials: Never Let Me Go by Kazuo Ishiguro
✔ 47. A play: The Importance to be Earnest by Oscar Wilde
✔ 48. A banned book: The Awakening by Kate Chopin
✔ 49. A book based on or turned into a TV show: Deja Dead by Kathy Reichs
✔ 50. A book you started but never finished: The Casual Vacancy by J.K. Rowling

message 2: by Zaz, Mood Minion (new)

Zaz | 1387 comments Mod
Congrats :)
What are your favorites from the challenge?

message 3: by Kateryna (new)

Kateryna Thanks :) Life of Pi, The Color Purple, Fathers and Sons, Their Eyes Were Watching God, The House of the Dead...they are all with five stars from me :)

message 4: by Zaz, Mood Minion (new)

Zaz | 1387 comments Mod
Everyone seems to like The Color Purple, I need to find some motivation to read it!
You had plenty of great books in your plan! I'll read some of them next year, I hope I'll enjoy them :)

message 5: by Ed (last edited Dec 09, 2015 09:39AM) (new)

Ed Lehman | 48 comments Great work! Congrats! and I just noticed that you read The Awakening for week #48... I was planning to read Sherman Alexie's Absolutely True Diary of a Part-time Indian for that task...BUT.... I also read The Awakening earlier in the year and forgot it was a banned book...so, Thank you....that puts me just 2 away from finishing.

message 6: by Jenny (new)

Jenny (pagelady) | 155 comments Kateryna wrote: "Finally I am putting together my 2015 Reading Challenge list. I love this challenge as I feel it is a way for me to broaden my horizons and get out my book comfort zone.

✔ 1. A book with more than..."

Congratulations!! I plan to read Big, Little Lies and The Girl on the Train this year. Did you enjoy them?

I read Anne of Green Gables for 2015. I love Lucy Maud Montgomery.

I have read The Heart is a Lonely Hunter and Their Eyes were Watching God. I did not enjoy either of them.

message 7: by Kateryna (new)

Kateryna Ed wrote: "Great work! Congrats! and I just noticed that you read The Awakening for week #48... I was planning to read Sherman Alexie's Absolutely True Diary of a Part-time Indian for that task...BUT.... I al..."

Thank you Ed! I'm glad to be helpful :) I had hard times choosing a banned book as I already read many of them. The Awakening was a good find.

message 8: by Kateryna (new)

Kateryna Jenny wrote: "Kateryna wrote: "Finally I am putting together my 2015 Reading Challenge list. I love this challenge as I feel it is a way for me to broaden my horizons and get out my book comfort zone.

✔ 1. A bo..."

Thank you Jenny! :) I enjoyed The Girl on the Train, Big, Little Lies not so much.

I liked Anne of Green Gables as well. I don't know how I managed to get through my reading childhood without having read this book.

Ooh I struggled reading The Heart is a Lonely Hunter. But I enjoyed Their Eyes were Watching God very much.. Well, to each his own I suppose :)

message 9: by Kateryna (new)

Kateryna Zaz wrote: "Everyone seems to like The Color Purple, I need to find some motivation to read it!
You had plenty of great books in your plan! I'll read some of them next year, I hope I'll enjoy them :)"

I had The Color Purple on my to-read-list for ages. And finally this year I found the courage to read it, thanks to this reading challenge :) I expected it to be a tiresome classic but not at all! I hope you will enjoy it!

message 10: by Ed (new)

Ed Lehman | 48 comments Kateryna wrote: "Ed wrote: "Great work! Congrats! and I just noticed that you read The Awakening for week #48... I was planning to read Sherman Alexie's Absolutely True Diary of a Part-time Indian for that task...B..."

Yes...I loved the Awakening...so far ahead of its time.

Also loved Their Eyes were Watching God which I just finished.