What's the Name of That Book??? discussion

SOLVED: Children's/YA > SOLVED. Either a YA or Adult: Time traveling. [s]

Comments Showing 1-7 of 7 (7 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Anie_chan (new)

Anie_chan | 77 comments Sorry in advance because a) not sure if this is a romance novel b) pretty sure it ended badly for the hero and c) I still need to know the title anyway so I'm posting this.

Please note that I read this book long time ago, at least 10 years ago, so the details might not be right but I'm doing my best.

The story was set around Vietnam war(?) but it started around many decades after the war. The hero, a young boy thought his mother was going crazy for talking about a one-eyed old man and that he might be stalking her because he could not see anyone of that description. I think they moved to the town after his grandfather died maybe but I know that the grandfather hated the hero. Then his mother talked about the one-eyed man. I believe the mother was murdered and the boy saw the one-eyed man then and thought he was next and ran away only to time travel to many years before.

There, he met other kids his age, one a girl who offered him an apple and a boy. They became best friends and I'm at lost about hero's living situation. As they grew up, the boys compete for the girl's hand but the girl chose the hero. Then war came and hero went to war with the other guy. He was wounded and the other guy tried to kill him, blinding him in one eye and left him for dead. Then the other guy married the girl.

And I forgot the ending. I do know that hero is the one eyed old man his mother saw. The young hero could never see him because one cannot see oneself or something and that the grandfather hated the boy because he either thinks the boy was too similar to the hero or already knew he was going to be the hero. Not really sure if it ended with HEA.

I once thought the title had something like The Notebook (I checked the Nicholas Sparks one, not that one).

message 2: by Anie_chan (new)

Anie_chan | 77 comments Bump.

message 3: by Lobstergirl, au gratin (new)

Lobstergirl | 38140 comments Mod
When does the time travel occur - from what year to what year? From the present back to the Vietnam War?

message 4: by Anie_chan (new)

Anie_chan | 77 comments The boy/young man was from the present and time traveled maybe few (around 10) years before the Vietnam War. Met the girl and boy of that time, grew up together and then drafted with the other boy and was sent into war. MC blinded in one eye and left for dead by other boy, other boy marry MC's girl... years later one-eyed older MC sees his mother and his younger self.

message 5: by Lisa (new)

message 6: by Anie_chan (new)

Anie_chan | 77 comments Lisa wrote: "Mr. Was?"

Sorry for the late reply, I was trying to find the book from my local library to confirm it. Couldn't get it but I believe this is the book after reading the description. It was the hero's name, Jack and the place, Bogg's End that convinces me. Many thanks, Lisa and Lobstergirl!

message 7: by Lisa (new)

Lisa (med0ra) | 439 comments Anie_chan wrote: "Lisa wrote: "Mr. Was?"

Sorry for the late reply, I was trying to find the book from my local library to confirm it. Couldn't get it but I believe this is the book after reading the d..."

You're welcome.

unread topics | mark unread

Books mentioned in this topic

Mr. Was (other topics)