Around the Year in 52 Books discussion

2016 Plans > Jacob's Reading Rainbow (Guest Star: LeVar Burton)

Comments Showing 1-8 of 8 (8 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Jacob (last edited Dec 09, 2015 09:29PM) (new)

Jacob | 4 comments I've never done a reading challenge like this before, but I think it should be fun. LeVar didn't have much say on the list, but I'm pretty sure he's cool with it.

1. A book you meant to read in 2015, but didn't – Shutter Island by Dennis Lehane

2. A book set in a different continent – All Quiet on the Western Front by Erich Maria Ramarque

3. A book from the Goodreads Choice Awards 2015 (winner or nominated) – The Girl on the Train by Paula Hawkins

4. A book by an author you discovered in 2015 – Ready Player One by Ernest Cline

5. A book with a title beginning with the 1st letter of your name – Journey to the Center of the Earth by Jules Verne

6. The highest rated on your TBR – Watchmen by Alan Moore

7. A book about books – The Book Thief by Markus Zusak

8. A classic book with less than 200 pages – Of Mice and Men by John Steinbeck

9. A book that was mentioned in another book – The Great Gatsby by F. Scott Fitzgerald

10. A book by an author you feel you should have read by now – A Tale of Two Cities by Charles Dickens

11. A book from the Rory Gilmore challenge – Uncle Tom’s Cabin by Harriet Beecher Stowe

12. A childhood classic – Charlie and the Chocolate Factory by Roald Dalh

13. Reader’s Choice – The Red Market: On the Trail of the World’s Organ Brokers, Bone Thieves, Blood Farmers, and Child Traffickers by Scott Carney

14. A book with one of the five W’s -or H in the title (Who/What/Where/When/Why/How) – The Power of Habit: Why We Do What We Do in Life and Business by Charles Duhigg

15. A book set in the past (more than 100 years ago) – The Arabian Nights by Anonymous

16. A book from the top 100 mystery novels – And Then There Were None by Agatha Christie

17. A book with a beautiful cover – Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas by Hunter Thompson

18. A book on a summer/beach reading list - I'll pick one in May

19. A non-fiction book – Devotion: An Epic Story of Heroism, Friendship, and Sacrifice by Adam Makos

20. A book with a first name in the title – Peter Pan by J.M. Barrie

21. A book from the Goodreads Recommendations page – Incidents in the Life of a Slave Girl By Harriet Jacobs

22. The first book in a new to you series – The Gunslinger by Stephen King

23. The next book in a series you are reading – Lost World by Michael Chrichton

24. A "between the numbers" book of a series (0.5, 1,5, 2.5, etc.) – The Man in the Iron Mask by Alexandre Dumas (#3.4 of The D’Artagnan Romances, I may be pushing it a little)

25. A book whose main character is in a profession that interests you – Last Night in the OR: A Transplant Surgeon’s Odyssey

26. A book everyone is talking about – The Nightingale by Kristin Hannah

27. A book with a beautiful title (in your own opinion) – All the Light We Cannot See by Anthony Doerr

28. A biography, autobiography, or memoir – The Puzzle People: Memoirs of a Transplant Surgeon by Thomas Starzl

29. A book by an author who writes under more than one name – Adventures of Tom Sawyer by Mark Twain

30. A fairytale from a culture other than your own - Grimm’s Fairy Tales by Jacob and Wilhelm Grimm (one a night)

31. A work of young adult fiction – Paper Towns by John Green

32. A historical fiction book – Memoirs of a Geisha by Arthur Golden

33. The 16th book on your TBR – The Immortal Life of Henrietta Lacks by Rebecca Skloot

34. A book about mental illness – Flowers of Algernon by Daniel Keyes

35. An award winning book – The Martian by Andy Weir

36. An identity book - a book about a different culture, religion or sexual orientation – A Long Way Gone: Memoirs of a Boy Soldier by Ishmael Beah

37. A book that you've seen the movie of but haven't read – The War of the Worlds by H.G. Wells

38. A book about an anti hero – Wuthering Heights by Emily Bronte

39. A previous suggestion that did not make it into the list (A book with 'diary' in the title) – The Diary of a Young Girl by Anne Frank

40. A novella from your favorite genre – Of Mice and Men by John Steinbeck

41. A book about a major world event (fiction or non-fiction) – Night by Elie Wiesel

42. A top 100 fantasy novel – The Picture of Dorian Gray by Oscar Wilde

43. A book about a thing that goes bump in the night – The Raven, The Fall of the House of Usher, The Tell-Tale Heart, and the Cask of Amontillado by Edgar Allen Poe

44. A book you're embarrassed to read in public – Harry Potter and the Sorcerer’s Stone by J.K Rowling

45. A book related to a hobby or passion you have – Being Mortal: Medicine and What Matters in the End by Atul Gawande

46. A crime story – The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo by Stieg Larsson

47. A book with a type of food/drink in the title - The Grapes of Wrath by John Steinbeck

48. A dystopia – A Brave New World by Aldous Huxley

49. A book with a great opening line – Moby Dick by Herman Melville

50. A book originally written in a language other than English – The Little Prince by Antoine de Saint-Exupery

51. A short story from a well-known author – The Legend of Sleepy Hollow by Washington Irving

52. A book published in 2016 – I’ll decide in December 2016

message 2: by Michelle (last edited Dec 09, 2015 12:25AM) (new)

Michelle (girlvsbook) | 1176 comments I'm sure you'll do great. Especially if LeVar has your back. You've got some great books picked out. Between my main challenge and reject challenge we have several books in common. I'll be interested in your thoughts so I hope you'll join in on discussions too. I'm also reading Wuthering Heights, The Diary of a Young Girl, The Great Gatsby, and The Girl on the Train.

I'm planning to re-read all the Harry Potter books this year because the 20th anniversary is in 2017. Is this your first time reading them?

I read Ready Player One and the The Book Thief in 2015. Ready Player One ended up being one of my most loved books of the year and The Book Thief one of my least loved. But everyone else seems to love The Book Thief so I hope you'll enjoy it. Roald Dahl was one of my favorite authors growing up so I hope you will enjoy Charlie and the Chocolate Factory as well.

message 3: by Jody (new)

Jody (jodybell) | 3469 comments You have some fantastic books on your list! 12 on your list I read for the first time this year, and really enjoyed almost all of them.

message 4: by Rachel (new)

Rachel A. (abyssallibrarian) | 2633 comments Out of curiosity, which book was The Great Gatsby mentioned in? I'm struggling to come up with ideas for that category. The best I could come up with was any Jane Austen book because I'm pretty sure they're all mentioned at some point in the Jane Austen Book Club

message 5: by Jacob (last edited Dec 09, 2015 08:28PM) (new)

Jacob | 4 comments Thanks Emm and Jody!

Emm the Elf wrote: "I'm planning to re-read all the Harry Potter books this year because the 20th anniversary is in 2017. Is this your first time reading them?"

Ya, I never did read the Harry Potter series. I wasn't much of a reader when I was young and the series was first released. Since I started reading a lot, I knew I wanted to read it, but I felt like I was a little old to be sitting on a plane next to my co-worker reading Harry Potter (hence why it’s under book I'm embarrassed to read in public). I don't really care anymore though. I know I'm going to really like the series, and that's the whole reason I read any book really.

Rachel, I was having a hard time with it too until I went to Suggestions for Each Week. Under week 9 Zaz posted a link for books mentioned in The Perks of Being a Wallflower, and The Great Gatsby was on the list. I personally don't remember (it's been a while) if it was mentioned or not, but I'll take the sites word for it.

message 6: by Zaz (new)

Zaz | 3034 comments Welcome :)

You have great books on your plan, the year will be fun! In 2015, I read some of them, so I'll join the discussions.

The Gunslinger is a rough start for the Dark Tower series, so if you don't like it, just keep in mind the others are a lot more interesting! I want to re-read the full series, but The Stand first!
The War of the Worlds is very very different from the movie, I found it interesting as one of the "first books about alien invasion", but it felt really dated and I didn't connect with the characters. It's good for culture I guess :)

message 7: by Michelle (new)

Michelle (girlvsbook) | 1176 comments I envy anyone who gets to read the Harry Potter series for the first time! I am sure you'll enjoy it and can't wait to hear your thoughts.

message 8: by EllenZReads (new)

EllenZReads | 174 comments Lots of great choices here! No Star Trek novels...don't tell Levar. :)