Around the Year in 52 Books discussion

Wonder (Wonder, #1)
This topic is about Wonder
Archives > Wonder, by RJ Palacio

Comments Showing 1-25 of 25 (25 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Ana A (last edited Jan 02, 2016 03:01AM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Ana A (anabana_a) | 473 comments Short Summary:
This is about a boy who is disfigured. From home-schooling, he will go to a typical school and he is dreading how the other students will react to his face.

This is for week 1: book I meant to read in 2015.
This was supposed to be for the book that will make me cry and my good friend suggested it to me.

Start date: Dec. 31, 2015
Finish date: Jan. 2, 2016

I cried. Damn it, Via! My review.

Sophie (sawphie) | 2920 comments I'm also reading it for the identity week (n°36).

Angela | 95 comments I read this one in 2015 for the book that makes me cry! And it did make me cry. It's a beautiful story that I think all kids around middle school age should read - and adults, but middle school is so hard!!

Sophie (sawphie) | 2920 comments Oh shoot, one more book that's going to make me cry! (I'm so emotional it's crazy).

Katie (ktmac_1) I really enjoyed this one last year. A great book for children to read as well as adults.

Jody (jodybell) | 3469 comments I read this one last year, but to be honest it didn't do anything to me emotionally (and believe me, I'm an extremely emotional person!). But then again, I was the same with The Lovely Bones - generally anything that's designed to be a tear-jerker never works on me, but then I'll be crying my eyes out over a book about a bloody chicken. Go figure.

Essa Kennedy I am also reading this for Week 1, I have had it for a long time and intended to read it last summer but it didn't happen!

message 8: by Jonquil (last edited Jan 01, 2016 08:08PM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Jonquil | 8 comments I read this in 2013 for a goodreads challenge and really liked Auggie (the main character.) One of the things that has stuck with me was Palacio's explanation of the inspiration for the novel. From my memory, she was outside an ice cream store with her kids when a young girl walked by and Palacio found herself wondering what impact the child's appearance might have on her life--Wonder apparently resulted from those thoughts.

Ana A (anabana_a) | 473 comments Essa wrote: "I am also reading this for Week 1, I have had it for a long time and intended to read it last summer but it didn't happen!"

I see you rated it already. What did you think of it? :)

Jonquil wrote: "...One of the things that has stuck with me was Palacio's explanation of the inspiration for the novel..."

Yeah, it's pretty interesting to know how ideas for novels started. I'm glad I read this book so that if ever I'll encounter someone with Auggie's condition (I haven't yet), I won't be too freaked out.

message 10: by Lisa (new) - rated it 5 stars

Lisa | 136 comments I read this for Week 36: Identity week. I am really glad I read it - I hope it turns into a YA classic.

Revew here: https://www.goodreads.com/review/show...

Sophie (sawphie) | 2920 comments I started it yesterday night and like it so far!

Sophie (sawphie) | 2920 comments At 97% I still hadn't cried (except I maybe got a bit teary eyed (view spoiler)) and didn't think I would. But I did! This simple message of kindness and the "everybody deserves a standing ovation" message touched me and I shed a few tears ;)

It is a very cute book, all warm and fuzzy, but not silly, I really like it and will definitely give it to read to any kid I know (although it can be very much appreciated by adults).

A little side note: it's the third book I finish tonight, I'm on fire!!!

Rachel A. (abyssallibrarian) | 2633 comments I just finished this as my middle grade novel for BookRiot 2016. I really loved the book, and as someone who works with young adults who have special needs, quite a few sections hit home.

I think the author may have taken it a bit too far with the kind of deformity Auggie had. It's such a rare and extreme condition that I think it might be hard for people to relate, but it was a very meaningful book. I do think the ending was a little cheesy, but it didn't detract from the rest of the book. I also really appreciated getting perspectives from other characters, also I hated Justin's perspective because of how it was written (no capitals and missing punctuation in places). Justin didn't add too much to the story, but it was nice to see how Auggie affected the others around him.

message 14: by Marina H (last edited Dec 30, 2016 01:24AM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Marina H | 1315 comments I had time this morning to finish this book. It's a nice book with a lot to say and I really enjoyed it. The ending was okay but yes a bit cheesy.

What I really enjoyed was that the book wasn't only about Auggie and his troubles. The chapters about Via and Jack really hit home in my opinion. All their thoughts and feelings were recognizable.

I do feel though as if it all ended a bit to happy and cheerful, and I'm just not sure how realistic the book is.

message 15: by Ali (new) - rated it 3 stars

Ali (alide_08) | 213 comments I'm starting this book sometime today for my 2017 Week 2 (a book with at least two perspectives). I've been meaning to read it since it came out since it seems to have been well-liked across the board.

message 16: by Ali (new) - rated it 3 stars

Ali (alide_08) | 213 comments Just finished this today. I flew through it. It was really refreshing and easy to get into.

I agree that the Jack and Via chapters, especially the part in Via's where she talks about not having a right to be upset or have her parents' attention very realistic and easy to relate to. I also agree the end got a bit cheesy. From the part where (view spoiler) on the book contained every crappy school cliche right down to (view spoiler).

Jen from Quebec :0) (muppetbaby99) | 53 comments I am still not sure I enjoyed the chapters from other POVs...the book is in 1st person narration for quite a long time, so it's a jarring adjustment. And WHY have a chapter from Justin's POV? And if you are going to include his chapter, WHY write it without any punctuation/capitals? It seemed unnecessary and as if the author was trying too hard to make the book into something it isn't....if anyone knows what I mean. Overall, good. Cheesy, yes. But, good. -Jen from Quebec :0)

message 18: by Ali (new) - rated it 3 stars

Ali (alide_08) | 213 comments Jennifer Lynn wrote: "I am still not sure I enjoyed the chapters from other POVs...the book is in 1st person narration for quite a long time, so it's a jarring adjustment. And WHY have a chapter from Justin's POV? And i..."

I think Via's and Jack's were the most worthwhile but I think I agree with you overall Jennifer, the best chapters and the clearest voice in the whole book was Auggie. It would have just been just as good if Auggie was the only narrator.

I also agree the weird capitalization stuff in Justin's didn't make any sense. On her website R.J. Palacio says she chose to do it because the font in all lower cases reminded her of musical notes and too signify Justin's stream of consciousness. I don't really think it lends anything to the story at all, but I guess it's her book so it's her choices.

message 19: by Jody (new) - rated it 3 stars

Jody (jodybell) | 3469 comments I feel like the author wasn't able to give Justin a distinct voice, so did that as a way to somehow distinguish his voice from the other narratives. It didn't work for me at all, but I wasn't a fan of the book in general.

Sarah | 6 comments I listened to this on audio and really enjoyed it. The book lives up to the praise it gets and while I agree it was a bit cheesy towards the end, we can't forget that it's written for younger readers. Even though I think that real life can be far more brutal to the Augies of the world, I think the fact that the end of the book overlooked that was a lesson to younger kids that they can overlook some of the flaws of their classmates - physical or otherwise - if it means seeing them for who they really are. Maybe not totally realistic, but it kept the focus on Augie's personality rather than his appearance.

Silvia Turcios | 1071 comments I read this for the challenge, although I am not sure in which category (one word title, movie or different point of views). I was reluctant to read it, because I thought it was too sad, but then I saw the trailer of the movie and I loved the joking attitude of August, so I read it ... and yes, I cried, but I also smiled with the unbeatable optimism of August.

And the same that others have already mentioned, there were moments that I also thought it was a little cheesy, but I enjoyed it a lot anyway :)

Manda (bookwenchmanda) | 1094 comments I read this for my Choices Challenge, from the 2012 Children's Category. This book didn't make me cry, but I did end up loving it a lot more than I thought I would. Auggie stole my heart and at the end I felt like the Grinch when he finds his heart growing in size. This book did take me on a bit of an emotional roller coaster. I am interested to see what happens with the movie and am terribly worried that this is going to be one of these books that gets lost in adaption.

Ana A (anabana_a) | 473 comments Sarah wrote: "I listened to this on audio and really enjoyed it. The book lives up to the praise it gets and while I agree it was a bit cheesy towards the end, we can't forget that it's written for younger reade..."

Surprisingly, there are kids who are extremely kind and understanding to those that are disfigured or have a disability. I'm a teacher, and I've seen it firsthand how some of my students are more compassionate to their classmates than me. The world's not totally hopeless.

message 24: by Joan (new) - rated it 3 stars

Joan Barnett | 1526 comments I read this for the 2018 challenge #27 - A book about surviving a hardship. It was a quick read. I did enjoy the different perspectives. My daughter is in 8th grade and there has been a boy since her kindergarten class that gets picked on that she and a bunch of other kids stand up for. I thought about him while reading the book. As a matter of fact just last week he was tripped and a couple of boys fought the boy that tripped him. I don't condone the fighting but I love that they stood up for him. There are so many stories about him throughout his school life. The book brought out for me the different point of views that I might not have thought about. Even knowing this other boy in real life, the book itself didn't evoke many emotions for me. That was probably why I only rate it 3 stars and I did think the ending was a little hokie.

message 25: by Zaz (new) - rated it 5 stars

Zaz | 3034 comments Great read, I used it for "10. An author's debut book " (and also for the kid edition for #40).

I enjoyed Auggie's voice and found the events and how people reacted realistic. The characters were well developed and the various points of view were interesting and added to the whole. I especially was pleased with Via's part, it's an important one in my opinion as she's the sister. I cried 2 times, while appreciating that the emotional emphasis wasn't put on pittyful events. In my opinion it's a good companion novel for Stargirl, about being different, and also a good addition to a "kindness collection".

I agree with the others about Justin's chapters, the lack of caps was annoying to read (but I was ok with the content).