Around the Year in 52 Books discussion

All Quiet on the Western Front
This topic is about All Quiet on the Western Front
Archives > All Quiet on the Western Front, by Erich Maria Remarque

Comments Showing 1-17 of 17 (17 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

Jennifer Barstad (maidenoflight) I am reading this for week 1. I've heard it's a decent book depending on what kind of books you like to read, so I thought i'd give it a go because i'm pretty open to anything.

message 2: by Jacob (new) - added it

Jacob | 4 comments I'm reading this for my Week 2. Whenever I read a wartime non-fiction or even historical fiction by an author with real life wartime experiences, I always come out with a little more understanding and a lot more appreciation. I hope this book is the same way.

Caitlin (0utnumbered321) Looking forward to reading what you thought! I am reading this for Historical Fiction, week 32.

Marta (gezemice) | 784 comments I am reading this for the "world event" book. I have read Remarque before, just not this book. He is a great author. I am preparing myself for gut-wrenching descriptions of the horrors of war. Very intense writing, as I recall.

Katie (ktmac_1) I read it in college and enjoyed it. I don't read many books about war, but this one was a little more introspective than most I would think from what I remember.

Jennifer Barstad (maidenoflight) I started this last night as soon as the clock struck 12, lol. I was anxiously waiting for the year to start so I could get a jump on it.

Jennifer Barstad (maidenoflight) Didn't think I would like this because i'm not a fan of books on war, but it was actually pretty interesting. Just to read about what it can actually be like during war time is awe inspiring. What those soldiers must go through in those times, I can understand why they come back not themselves. Big kuddoes to those that have served and lived to be here today.

message 8: by Kirsten (new) - added it

Kirsten  (kmcripn) I read this in middle school. I had a teacher that told me it was "inappropriate" to be reading science fiction (because I was a "young lady"). So, I got even with her by reading a book about war!

This book is actually anti-war, though. When reading a book about Dietrich Bonhoeffer, I found out that when he watched the film version it had a deep impact on him and it was one of the reason he was part of the German resistance against Hitler.

Manda (bookwenchmanda) | 1094 comments All Quiet on the Western Front
All Quiet on the Western Front by Erich Maria Remarque

GR synopsis:
This is the testament of Paul Bäumer, who enlists with his classmates in the German army of World War I. These young men become enthusiastic soldiers, but their world of duty, culture, and progress breaks into pieces under the first bombardment in the trenches.

Through years of vivid horror, Paul holds fast to a single vow: to fight against the hatred that meaninglessly pits young men of the same generation but different uniforms against one another – if only he can come out of the war alive.

I read this for my 2016 Topic Discard Challenge, a translated novella. After finishing this book I felt pretty "empty". As though I had not read anything at all. It wasn't a good or a bad feeling. I don't remember a whole lot of the story; it didn't stick with me, but the moments I do remember were really impactful.

Overall, I gave this a 3/5. It was very well written, though I don't think it was really my cup of tea.

message 10: by Jody (new) - rated it 5 stars

Jody (jodybell) | 3489 comments I'm about to start reading this one, although it doesn't fit into any of my remaining AtY topics, so it's just a side read.

I'm really looking forward to it, especially after Marta's recommendation on my 2017 plan page. A lot of the books on war that I've read have been on WWII, so I'm looking forward to reading something a little different.

message 11: by Jody (new) - rated it 5 stars

Jody (jodybell) | 3489 comments Just finished this, and I absolutely loved it. What an amazing book.

message 12: by Sara (new) - rated it 5 stars

Sara (phantomswife) | 930 comments Read this at last and must say it lives up to its reputation. Remarkable book that will remain in my mind for a long, long time.

Tammy | 704 comments Sara...I've put this on my "coming soon" list based on your recommendation. Looking forward to reading it soon.

message 14: by Sara (new) - rated it 5 stars

Sara (phantomswife) | 930 comments I'm so glad, Tammy. It would certainly make my list of books everyone should read.

Matthias Stephan | 169 comments I read this for ATY 19 (#29, a book written before 1950). This is one of the books what one has heard about so much, but not gotten around to reading. So glad I finally made the time. The story is tragic, but told so well. A war drama with poignant scenes, amazing imagery, quite a lot of humour, all told in a compelling manner that certainly doesn't valorize WWI or the run up to a war. Helleresque in parts, but more serious, reflective in the same manner as Wilfred Owen and Sigfried Sassoon, without any display of their early optimism. I only wish it were more influential than it is.

message 16: by Jody (new) - rated it 5 stars

Jody (jodybell) | 3489 comments This is one of the few books that I think everyone should read. It hit me the hardest of any of the books on war that I’ve read. I’m still thinking about it, eighteen months and a couple of hundred books later. Remarque’s personal story is really sad as well.

Ashley Moore (ashleym99) | 519 comments This was interesting and sad. It was interesting to see what was going on and the fighting was like during this time and the writing kept you reading. It was personal experiences so you could see how hard this was the changes that were happening to the people fighting in the war. It was sad as many people died and there is no glory in war. He was so young and see how much he changed and grew up through the course of the book seemed remarkable.