Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone (Harry Potter, #1) Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone discussion

Malfoy's feelings about Harry, Ron, and Hermione?

Comments Showing 1-22 of 22 (22 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

Georgia Carrino Hello everybody

I think Draco Malfoy is jealous of the Gryffindors.
ARGUE if you must, but just read to the end before you do so.

Yes, he never wanted to get into Gryffindor, but I think he is jealous of Ron, Harry, and Hermione. First (and most obviously), he wanted to be on the Slytherin quidditch team, and he wanted his own broom. Also, he originally tried to befriend Harry but was rejected, when Ron became fast friends with him without even trying. Another thing about his friends, Crabbe and Goyle only hang out with him to look cool and because they are scared of him. In fact, they are more like sidekicks than friends. And one of Draco's internal conflicts is his friend conundrum, because he knows that Crabbe and Goyle don't like him because of his personality.

What do you think? Comment down below if you agree or disagree.
And remember, this is ONLY for the FIRST book.

Stormfire4000 ASH-GRENINJA MALFOY HATES POTTER

message 3: by [deleted user] (new)

i think he starts off as wanting to be friends with harry because he is famous and wants to be seen with harry to be even more popular and gets sour because he turns him down. he is used to getting whatever he wants and because harry has come into his life he is an obstacle to being popular and because of this he tries everything to overcome his popularity and to be seen as better as harry

Aaron Chu-Carroll He could be jealous, but I think it's more of just following his father's legacy, so as Harry becomes heroic, it just makes Malfoy hate him even more.

Andrée-Anne Malfoy is a very interesting character to analyze. Hate and jealousy are really close feelings. His hate for Harry is very profound and it could come from envy. I believe Malfoy doesn't like all the attention Harry involuntary gets. You have to admit Harry is very attracting from good and evil force.So Malfoy never gets the chance to shine as much as him.

Kelly I completely agree with Georgia! Malfoy despises the main trio of the series but somehow, he frequently manages to get into trouble and make Harry look good. In fact, he helped Harry discover his passion in the Wizarding World: Quidditch. It started when Malfoy took Neville's remembrall and flew with it on the broom he had for the lesson. Professor McGonogall saw everything and suddenly, the Gryffindor quidditch team had a new seeker.

snaps Andrée-Anne wrote: "Malfoy is a very interesting character to analyze. Hate and jealousy are really close feelings. His hate for Harry is very profound and it could come from envy. I believe Malfoy doesn't like all th..."

I agree. I genuinely don't think Malfoy is a bad character nor is he set out to be. He wants to make his family proud and be a hero of sorts, in his own way, but he can't get the main show that Harry does and feels useless because of it. The only attention the blunt, self deprecating kid can get is from Voldemort, but he struggles to do the tasks given to him by The Dark Lord. He doesn't want to be bad, but he's made to be because everyone expects him to be. He is jealous of the intimate relationship that Harry, Ron and Hermione share because he wants that, but can never have it.

Georgia Carrino "'You know how I think they choose people for the Gryffindor team?' said Malfoy a few minutes later, as Snape awarded Hufflepuff another penalty for no reason at all. 'It's people they feel sorry for'" (223).

Malfoy constantly puts Harry down to make excuses for him not being where he is! And he turns these into ways to make fun of him and his life, while also tormenting his friends, which is another thing Malfoy knows Harry can't stand. Therefore, I think Draco's Jealousy towards Harry is one if his internal conflicts.

Georgia Carrino Another thing I think his internal conflict is that he thinks he is not not lucky. Why else would he try to get Harry in trouble (besides jealousy)? I think he thinks that Harry only got to be on the quidditch team because of luck, and because people like him. Malfoy should be on the Slytherin team too. After all, HE was the one who originally flew into the air with the remembrall! And this also has a lot to do with him being jealous of Harry, but still I think this is one of his internal conflicts.

snaps Georgia wrote: "Another thing I think his internal conflict is that he thinks he is not not lucky. Why else would he try to get Harry in trouble (besides jealousy)? I think he thinks that Harry only got to be on t..."

These are all very interesting points and I adore thinking about them. I agree with all of the above!

message 11: by Zahra (last edited Dec 10, 2015 02:35AM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Zahra DRAMOINE!!!!!!!!

message 12: by Ruby (new) - rated it 5 stars

Ruby This is a great thread and I think everything said above is true!

Malfoy, proud and spoiled, wanted to be friends with Harry because his parents told him it might be possible that Harry was a great dark wizard himself. He thought it would make him even cooler (because in his opinion, how could Draco Malfoy, the son of a death eater, not already be cool in the eyes of Slytherins and respected and feared in the eyes of every other house?)

But when Harry rejected him and joined the house that Draco was always taught was the enemy, he took an instant dislike to him and from then on always sought to assert himself by humiliating and hurting Harry. As an extension, he hated Ron because he was a Weasley and a blood traitor and Hermione because she was an "impure mudbood." So based on these bloodist and jealous foundations, Malfoy made it his goal to get attention and show his dominance by trying to thwart the three main characters whenever he could.

And as time goes on, it stops being a fun challenge for him and more of a matter of respect or disgrace: no longer a grudge but a deathly serious matter of whose side comes out on top. No spoilers! But great discussion, guys. :)

Mysteryissolved I think Malfoy was jealous of the security, despite what Potter faced. With the closeness with Dumbledore 'Greatest Wizard' as well as the presumed family the boy-who-lived had. There was the upbringing that is obviously covered up with Malfoy the fortune he brags of. Which may be of a more abusive one as time and pressure progresses.
There is also the aspect of he was denied something, Potter's friendship, that is probably the first time ever. And Ron and Hermione, who achieved something he could not, where contradictions to all he was taught and believed in. So there must have been a need to make the failure a smaller one, by making Potter, in his mind, a weak association. And this was to be achieved in his opinion, by verbally putting Potter down.

message 14: by [deleted user] (last edited Dec 14, 2015 11:51AM) (new)

I agree with the idea that to begin with Malfoy was jealous but then after a while he just began to hate them because of how much Voldemort convinced him that they were the enemy... Malfoy was nice underneath, he just got with the wrong people/family.

message 15: by Amy (new) - rated it 4 stars

Amy Hawthorne I agree that Malfoy's jealouse of Potter 'cause he's great at EVERYTHING and he's special.

Melissa Kelly Just caught up with this thread. Interesting to read that people thought Malfoy initially wanted to be Harry's friend? What made people think that? I never got that impression at all. Interested to see how other people interpretated things.

message 17: by Ruby (new) - rated it 5 stars

Ruby Melissa wrote: "Just caught up with this thread. Interesting to read that people thought Malfoy initially wanted to be Harry's friend? What made people think that? I never got that impression at all. Interested to..."

In the books, he showed some interest in being friends with Harry- he confronted him on the train, trying to intimidate him and Ron, I think, with Crabbe and Goyle. And then Harry says 'coolly' that he can find the right kind of people for himself. Also in the movie this happens right before they enter the great hall and get sorted.

Averi I agree with your original statement. In the first book, Malfoy tells him to "choose his friends wisely." When Harry turns him down, which obviously was the right thing to do, I feel like Malfoy thought Harry would crash and burn with Ron and Hermione as his friends. But when he becomes popular, gets a spot on the Quidditch team right off the bat, and defeats the most evil wizard of all time, I feel like Draco was angry, jealous, and confused. His hatred for himself manifested into a hate for the people who are better than him.

message 19: by Sahil (new) - added it

Sahil Patel Malfoy was jealous of Harry, in the 2nd Book its shows Malfoy talking to his dad on how he has the latest broom, how he got into the quid itch team in his first year, and how all the people in his house think he is smart and everything. I don't think that was Malfoy saying he was disgusting and how he hates him. Its him saying oh I wish I was like that, having natural talent and raw skill, and was probably the reason why he hated harry. But harry didn't get into the team with luck, some of it was luck. Harry was just lucky it was professor McGonagall that was in the tower when she was and not some other teacher or else he would have been expelled. but that was it, McGonagall saw Harrys Skills and Talent, which is why she put him in the team, harry in a way earned his place as seeker it wasn't by shear luck.

Stephy Beno Well honestly, I think at first he just wanted to befriend him because of who Harry was known as, but as the books went on, I think he was just jealous of Harry's group of friends and how they were sort of like a family to each other and cared for one another, something that he didn't have with his friends, or family for that matter.

message 21: by [deleted user] (new)

Draco comes right out in the Cursed Child and tells Harry that he was always jealous of Harry's relationships. Harry had deep friendships, while Draco had Crabbe and Goyle (and I mean, come on). To be honest, and no judgement please, I felt sorry for Draco. He'd been brainwashed into thinking one way, always conflicted, trying to build a life for himself. I'm glad he came around at the end :)

message 22: by Gary (new) - rated it 4 stars

Gary I'm actually quite a bit more sympathetic to Draco after reading Goblet of Fire in which Crabbe and Goyle (Srs.) turn up at (view spoiler). It's not hard to see Draco up until that point as someone under the sway/influence of his arrogant/elitist father, but after that it seems much more likely that not only is his father a very dark presence, but he's surrounded by (view spoiler) and/or their children. So, if Draco were to "go soft" it'd get back to his father pretty quickly, and he's the kind of man who wouldn't feel the least compunction about punishing his son for some minor transgression or another. Maybe even just to "teach" him. Draco is in a pretty terrible situation if you look at it from his POV.