RMFAO (Reading My Frigging A** Off) discussion

Reading-Challenges > RMFAO 2016 Classics Challenge

Comments Showing 1-50 of 151 (151 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1 3 4

message 1: by Dagny (new)

Dagny (madamevauquer) | 3198 comments Mod
Classic Catchup 2016:

Want to read more classics? Re-read an old favorite or one you missed by a favorite author? The cut-off date is 1940. It was extended last year to include all the great mysteries of the 1920s and 1930s. Pre-1923 Classics have the advantage of being easy on the budget as so many are available free in numerous formats (including audio!) from such sites as Project Gutenberg, ManyBooks and LibriVox. No need to choose your books ahead of time, you've got all year and late-comers are welcome.

Level 1: Casual Reader: 2 books
Level 2: Frequent Reader: 3 - 5 books
Level 3: Bookworm: 6 - 8 books
Level 4: Scholar: 9 - 11 books
Level 5: Professor: 12 or more books

Who's in? All you have to do is post here saying you plan to participate. You can choose the Level you hope to achieve now, or wait and see how it goes.

message 2: by Dagny (new)

Since I'm a member of a couple of reading groups that read classics, I already know that I'll be doing Level 5 again this year.

message 3: by Colleen (last edited Feb 28, 2016 04:50PM) (new)

Colleen  | 0 comments I would like to increase my reads in this category and have a few laying around that should make the list. I also belong to a Classics group here on GR and would like to increase my participation there too. I would like to get to Level 3 Bookwom for sure.

1. A Tale of Two Cities read 1/16/16
2. Pride and Prejudice read 2/18/16
3. Fahrenheit 451 read 2/22/16

message 4: by Dagny (new)

Colleen wrote: "I would like to increase my reads in this category and have a few laying around that should make the list. I also belong to a Classics group here on GR and would like to increase my participation t..."

Good for you, Colleen!

message 5: by Dimple (new)

Dimple Malhotra Are the number of books for each levels the number of books that we will be reading in a year?

message 6: by Dagny (new)

Dimple wrote: "Are the number of books for each levels the number of books that we will be reading in a year?"

Yes, Dimple, it is for a year. So some months you might not read any and another month you might read several. The top level of twelve is for an average of one a month, but they can be spread out any way which works into your personal schedule. There's also a 'classics' month on the Genre Challenge, so that is one month where everyone will probably have at least one.

message 7: by Heena (last edited Dec 11, 2015 08:41AM) (new)

Heena Rathore Pardeshi (heenarathore) | 2137 comments Mod
I'll be trying for Level-5 and will try to read at least 1 classic every 1-2 months (the exception being classics month of genre challenge, where I'll be reading 3-4.)

I'll be completing the Richard Hannay series this year.

@Dagny Can you please recommend some adventure classic? (other than HBF.)

message 8: by Dimple (new)

Dimple Malhotra Then I should do this too. Might as well increase my list of classics which is not much to start with. :P

message 9: by Dagny (new)

Heena wrote: "I'll be trying for Level-5 and will try to read at least 1 classic every 1-2 months (the exception being classics month of genre challenge, where I'll be reading 3-4.)"

Good, Heena!

message 10: by Dagny (new)

Heena wrote: "I'll be completing the Richard Hannay series this year.

@Dagny Can you please recommend some adventure classic? (other than HBF.) "

I won't make it with the Hannay series in 2015. Of the five series I chose for the Completing the Series Challenge, I only completed one. Massive failure. I'm blaming it all on Sookie Stackhouse and Company. I got hooked on those books and finished that series which wasn't even one of the five, lol. For 2016, I'll probably just stick with completing the other four.

Who is HBF? I'll put my thinking cap on for adventure classics.

message 11: by Dagny (new)

Dimple wrote: "Then I should do this too. Might as well increase my list of classics which is not much to start with. :P"

Great, Dimple! You should be able to do it easily. You have several 'classics' on your Genre list. The Great Gatsby qualifies as does all of Shakespeare's work. Frankenstein, Jane Austen, Peter Pan. You'll be off to a good start with just those.

message 12: by Dagny (new)

Adventure classics:

There is always Edgar Rice Burroughs. I've been meaning to read his Land That Time Forgot trilogy. I was disappointed in A Princess of Mars which is the first of his John Carter series, so I won't be reading those. There are all his Tarzan stories! I might read a couple of those for the fun of it.

The Scarlet Pimpernel by Baroness Orczy was a fun read and I wouldn't mind reading more in that series. It was wildly popular in its day.

Rafael Sabatini springs to mind. I haven't read any of his, but I know several of them have been made into movies. They are of the swash-buckling and/or pirate type.

I enjoyed the first of the Bulldog Drummond stories by Sapper (Herman Cyril McNeile). I think it was Karen who put me onto those.

All of these should be available at Project Gutenberg and some at LibriVox.

message 13: by Heena (new)

Dagny wrote: "Adventure classics:

There is always Edgar Rice Burroughs. I've been meaning to read his Land That Time Forgot trilogy. I was disappointed in A Princess of Mars which is the first of his John Carte..."

HBF- Huckleberry Fin. (hehe!)

And thanks a ton, Prof. Dagny!!! I'll check all of these out and add them to my classics-list.

PS: I had no idea John Carter movie was an adaptation and also that it's a part of the series. Interesting.

message 14: by Heena (last edited Dec 11, 2015 08:23PM) (new)

BTW, here's the logo for Classics Challenge:

RMFAO Challenge

I hope you'll like it (I absolutely adore it! <3)

message 15: by Dimple (new)

Dimple Malhotra Dagny wrote: "Dimple wrote: "Then I should do this too. Might as well increase my list of classics which is not much to start with. :P"

Great, Dimple! You should be able to do it easily. You have several 'class..."

Yeah true. I am all set for it then. :)

message 16: by Dagny (new)

Heena wrote: " had no idea John Carter movie was an adaptation and also that it's a part of the series. Interesting. "

There are ten or so books in the John Carter series. I don't know which one the movie is based on or if it is a combo - or even if there is more than one movie, lol.

message 17: by Dagny (new)

Heena wrote: "HBF- Huckleberry Fin. (hehe!)
"

Oh, got me! I was trying to fit it into an author's initials, lol.

message 18: by Dagny (new)

Heena wrote: "BTW, here's the logo for Classics Challenge"

Thanks, Heena!

message 19: by Dagny (new)

Dimple wrote: "Yeah true. I am all set for it then. :) "

Super, glad you are joining us, Dimple! I remembered later that you also have an H. G. Wells on our list - how could I forget it when it's Steampunk, lol. You already have enough listed for the mid-level Bookworm.

message 20: by Dimple (new)

Dimple Malhotra Dagny wrote: "Dimple wrote: "Yeah true. I am all set for it then. :) "

Super, glad you are joining us, Dimple! I remembered later that you also have an H. G. Wells on our list - how could I forget it when it's ..."

That's awesome! :D I am really very excited for 2016 to begin. :) :P

message 21: by Manveer (new)

Manveer (manveerssj4) | 28 comments Count me in! This one should be fun. I really like to read classics occasionally.

message 22: by Dagny (new)

Manveer wrote: "Count me in! This one should be fun. I really like to read classics occasionally."

Great, Manveer! Glad to have you with us for the Classics.

message 23: by Simona (new)

Simona F. (simona21) | 79 comments I'll go for Level 5 ;)

message 24: by Dagny (new)

Simona wrote: "I'll go for Level 5 ;)"

Yea! You made it this year too. We have a few "Professors" here.

message 25: by Erin *Proud Book Hoarder* (last edited Jan 07, 2016 08:29AM) (new)

Erin *Proud Book Hoarder* (erinpaperbackstash) I'd like to do Level 3 bookworm

message 26: by Dagny (new)

Erin (Paperbackstash) wrote: "I'd like to do Level 3 bookworm"

Wonderful, Erin! Glad to have you joining us.

message 27: by Manaswin (new)

Manaswin (goodreadscombook_worm77) | 37 comments I'm a sucker for this genre. Hopefully I'll be a "bookworm".

message 28: by Dagny (new)

Manaswin wrote: "I'm a sucker for this genre. Hopefully I'll be a "bookworm"."

Yea, good for you, Manaswin!

message 29: by Heena (last edited Jan 03, 2016 02:11AM) (new)

Great to see so many people joining for Classics catch-up... :)

I'll be reading more classics this year (or, at least I'll try to.) As I mentioned earlier, here are some of the books that I'll be reading for this year:

The Scarlet Letter [audio book]
Gone with the Wind [ebook]
The Adventures of Huckleberry Finn [audio book]
Richard Hannay series by John Buchan: [ebooks]
3. Mr. Standfast
4. The Three Hostages
5. The Island of Sheep

message 30: by Dagny (new)

Oddly enough, I'm not yet reading a Classic. Well, I am reading The Crime of Sylvestre Bonnard but it's a reread for me which I'm reading with the 19thCenturyLit so it won't be counted for the Challenge. No problem. I've got plenty to make up for it later.

message 31: by Jade (new)

Jade Diamond (jadediamond) | 2 comments Count me in. This one should be fun. I'd really like to read more Classics. I'd like to do Level 3 Bookworm.

message 32: by Dagny (new)

Jade wrote: "Count me in. This one should be fun. I'd really like to read more Classics. I'd like to do Level 3 Bookworm."

Excellent, Jade! We'll look forward to seeing which books you choose.

message 33: by Dagny (new)

Oddly enough, I'm currently read two classics, neither of which will qualify here.

Last year I started proofreading the OCR of Corrine; or, Italy by Madame de Staël and am still working on it. Not recommending this to anyone.

This one though, I can recommend. It's such a fun book and it's about a reader/collector. The only reason I'm not counting it here is because it is a reread. The Crime of Sylvester Bonnard It can be read free from Project Gutenberg at:
http://www.gutenberg.org/ebooks/2123

message 34: by Simona (new)

Simona F. (simona21) | 79 comments Level 5: Professor: 12 or more books

I plan on reading everything by Jane Austen, and definitely some Dumas and Zola.

message 35: by Dagny (new)

Simona wrote: "Level 5: Professor: 12 or more books

I plan on reading everything by Jane Austen, and definitely some Dumas and Zola."

Yea, Simona, another Professor! Dumas wrote a lot of books, just about all of which are available as free eBooks and I suspect quite a few are in audio form at LibriVox. The Count of Monte Cristo is one of my all time very favorite books. I can't rave about it enough. With an innocent man being imprisoned, revenge, secrecy, buried treasure and more, it has something for everybody. It is, though, very long.

My favorite Zola is L'Assommoir, but it's not to everyone's taste. One poor man read it and said he'd never read another Zola in his life. I sort of feel that way about The Earth. If it had been the first Zola I read, I doubt if I would have gone on to read most of his books. The Ladies' Paradise is a good one for someone who hasn't read Zola before and doesn't want to jump right in to the nitty-gritty of his world.

message 36: by Simona (new)

Simona F. (simona21) | 79 comments Dagny wrote: "Simona wrote: "Level 5: Professor: 12 or more books

I plan on reading everything by Jane Austen, and definitely some Dumas and Zola."

Yea, Simona, another Professor! Dumas wrote a lot of books, j..."

The Count of Monte Cristo is one of my favorites, too!I've alread read it a few times.

I love Thérèse Raquin by Zola and I've read a few of his works already. Sure, they are far from being "easy reads", but his books are worth it :)

message 37: by Dagny (new)

Simona wrote: " love Thérèse Raquin by Zola and I've read a few of his works already. Sure, they are far from being "easy reads", but his books are worth it :) "

I love Thérèse Raquin! To me it is every bit as good as his Rougon-Macquart series. It's very interesting how Zola came to write that book. Go to the eBook at http://www.gutenberg.org/files/6626/6... and scroll all the way down to the "Afterward" by Vizetelly. It's just a couple of paragraphs long, but I don't want to post it here because of spoilers for anyone who hasn't read the book. It was originally in the Preface - ridiculous. I happened to be the one preparing the etext, so I yanked it right out and stuck it at the end.

message 38: by Dagny (new)

My first classic of the year. A light and fun read.
1. The Man in Lower Ten
Read at http://www.gutenberg.org/ebooks/1869 or listen from https://librivox.org/the-man-in-lower...

message 39: by Dagny (new)

2. The Lone Wolf
The Lone Wolf by Louis Joseph Vance
See my comments with links to free eBook and Audio on the RMFAO February: Mystery/Thriller + Speculative-Fiction thread. I will add here that I was surprised to notice this book was written in 1914. It reads like a much more modern book for me, maybe the 1950s or so. It might be that I am influenced by the tv series though.

message 40: by Dagny (new)

3. The Amethyst Box by Anna Katharine Green

message 41: by Dagny (new)

4. The Diamond Master by Jacques Futrelle

message 42: by Dagny (new)

5. The Circular Staircase by Mary Roberts Rinehart

message 43: by Mythili (new)

Mythili (therealmyth) I'm gonna with Level 3 for now. I have already finished the first three books of the Anne of Green Gables series by L.M. Montgomery. I had never heard of the series before and it was last month that I came across a Buzzfeed post about it. It starts of in 19th century Canada and is set on Prince Edward Island, which really sets it apart from the novels of that period.

So far...
1. Anne of Green Gables
2. Anne of Avonlea
3. Anne of the Island

message 44: by Dagny (new)

Mythili wrote: "I'm gonna with Level 3 for now. I have already finished the first three books of the Anne of Green Gables series by L.M. Montgomery."

Excellent, Mythili!

Here's a bit of L. M. Montgomery trivia for you. When one of the U. K. Royals visited Canada, she made it a point to visit Prince Edward Island because she was so fond of the books.

message 46: by Simona (new)

Simona F. (simona21) | 79 comments I finally go around reading this year's first Classic!

1. Sense and Sensibility

I have seen a couple of different screen adaptations and I superficially studied it in school, so I knew what it was all about. The interesting thing, though, is that there is a historical fiction, The Lost Memoirs of Jane Austen, which I've read last year, that takes on Sense and Sensibility and makes it out as something Jane Austen wrote because of her own experience.

message 47: by Dagny (new)

Simona wrote: "I finally go around reading this year's first Classic!

1. Sense and Sensibility

I have seen a couple of different screen adaptations and I superficially studied it in school, so I kn..."

How interesting, Simona. That was good to know before you read or reread it. I also read it in school. It and P&P, but that was about sixty years ago. Need I say, I don't remember much, lol.

message 49: by Dagny (new)

message 50: by Dagny (new)

With eight done, I am running slightly ahead of where I was last year. At the end of March last year, I had read eight Classics. This year I have eight completed, three in progress plus one more novella to start. I should have twelve done by the end of March.

There have been several novellas this year. It should even out by September as I plan to begin The Mysteries of Paris in June. It is almost 1400 pages! That will slow the count down, lol.

« previous 1 3 4