Literary Fiction by People of Color discussion

NAACP Image Award Nominees

Comments Showing 1-9 of 9 (9 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Wilhelmina (new)

Wilhelmina Jenkins | 2049 comments The nominations for the 47th annual NAACP Image Awards were announced today. The nominees for Outstanding Literary Work (Fiction) are Driving the King by Ravi Howard, Ghost Summer: Stories by Tananarive Due, Mama's Boy by ReShonda Tate Billingsley, Stand Your Ground: A Novel by Victoria Christopher Murray, and next month's choice for our LFPC discussion book, Under the Udala Trees by Chinelo Okparanta

All of the nominees can be found here:
http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/news...

message 2: by lark (new)

lark benobi (larkbenobi) | 330 comments Wilhelmina wrote: "The nominations for the 47th annual NAACP Image Awards were announced today. The nominees for Outstanding Literary Work (Fiction) are Driving the King by Ravi Howard..."

Thanks Wilhelmina. Along with Under the Udala Trees I'm very happy to see Ghost Summer recognized. I loved these stories and I also loved the way Due says a little bit throughout the collection about how each story came to be written. It was so great to hear her perspective on her work as I read along, like having a conversation with a friend who happens to be a terrific storyteller.

I'm less familiar with the other picks but I'll look forward to learning more.

message 3: by Wilhelmina (new)

Wilhelmina Jenkins | 2049 comments I loved Ghost Summer also. I just finished Driving The King and thought it was very good and very timely since we are celebrating the 60th anniversary of the Montgomery bus boycott, one of the underlying themes of the book.

message 4: by Beverly (new)

Beverly | 2873 comments Mod
Wilhelmina wrote: "The nominations for the 47th annual NAACP Image Awards were announced today. The nominees for Outstanding Literary Work (Fiction) are Driving the King by Ravi Howard..."

Thanks so much for sharing this.

Also adding the nominees for the Debut Author category (though I am not sure how Coates made this group as he has previously published a memoir The Beautiful Struggle: A Father, Two Sons, and an Unlikely Road to Manhood.

Outstanding Literary Work (Debut Author)

Between the World and Me, Ta-Nehisi Coates (Spiegel & Grau)
The Fishermen, Chigozie Obioma (Little, Brown & Company)
The Star Side of Bird Hill, Naomi Jackson (Penguin Press)
The Turner House, Angela Flournoy (Houghton Mifflin Harcourt)
The Wind in the Reeds: A Storm, A Play and the City That Could Not Be Broken, Wendell Pierce (Author), Rod Dreher (Author), (Riverhead Books)

message 5: by Beverly (new)

Wilhelmina wrote: "The nominations for the 47th annual NAACP Image Awards were announced today. The nominees for Outstanding Literary Work (Fiction) are Driving the King by Ravi Howard..."

I have real all except for Mama's Boy. My plan was to read when I read Stand Your Ground: A Novel as they were both released around the same time with similar timely subjects but it did not happen.

My fav out of the group is Under the Udala Trees which I think might be a long shot for this prize.

If you are a member of the NAACP you can vote on these awards.

message 6: by Beverly (new)

poingu wrote: "Wilhelmina wrote: "The nominations for the 47th annual NAACP Image Awards were announced today. The nominees for Outstanding Literary Work (Fiction) are Driving the King by [author:..."

I agree Due's commentary about each of the stories made them more meaningful.

I really enjoyed as these stories reminded me of her earlier novels which I enjoy more than her more recent ones which have gotten a little too YA for me.

message 7: by Beverly (new)

Wilhelmina wrote: "I loved Ghost Summer also. I just finished Driving The King and thought it was very good and very timely since we are celebrating the 60th anniversary of the Montgomery bus boycott, one of the unde..."

I also enjoyed Driving the King.
I hope we do not have to wait too long for his next book like we did between his first and second book.

message 8: by ColumbusReads (new)

ColumbusReads (coltrane01) | 3713 comments Mod
Beverly wrote: "Wilhelmina wrote: "The nominations for the 47th annual NAACP Image Awards were announced today. The nominees for Outstanding Literary Work (Fiction) are Driving the King by ..."</i>

Beverly, I agree with you on [book:Under the Udala Trees
. So incredibly good. A long shot maybe but so deserving. Then so is The Fishermen in the debut author categories. There were some wonderful books written this year.

message 9: by ColumbusReads (new)

ColumbusReads (coltrane01) | 3713 comments Mod
Beverly, I agree with you about Under the Udala Trees. So incredibly good. A long shot maybe but so deserving. Then so is The Fishermen in the debut author category. There were some wonderful books written this year.