The Readers Review: Literature from 1714 to 1910 discussion

Short Story Archives > The Complete Shorter Fiction - The Man Who Kept His Money...

Comments Showing 1-8 of 8 (8 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Deborah, Moderator (new)

Deborah (deborahkliegl) | 4467 comments Mod
My apologies for a late in the day post. This story was written in 1861.

Trollope writes "a poor man always presumes that a rich man is indifferent about his money. But in truth a rich man never is indifferent about his money..." Do you believe this is true? Why?

One thing that is very apparent in this story is Robinson is well traveled and understands to take some precautions while the Greenes seem to be new to travel.

message 2: by Louise (last edited Dec 10, 2015 01:26AM) (new)

Louise | 46 comments Oh that Mrs. Green.... Trollope can really make you detest some of his female characters!

Does Mr. Robinson perhaps hope to uncover the trunk, and win Miss Green's affections?

message 3: by Deborah, Moderator (new)

Deborah (deborahkliegl) | 4467 comments Mod
Louise wrote: "Oh that Mrs. Green.... Trollope can really make you detest some of his female characters!

Does Mr. Robinson perhaps hope to uncover the trunk, and win Miss Green's affections?"

I didn't read Robinson that way, but loved the ironic twist

message 4: by Frances, Moderator (new)

Frances (francesab) | 1817 comments Mod
What a wonderful satire of the annoying tourist. The hapless Mr Greene, the obnoxious and foolish Mrs Greene, the sulky/surly teenager Miss Greene.

I did suspect the plot twist, only because years of reading mysteries has led me to pay attention to apparently unnecessary details such as Mr Robinson mentioning that he hadn't bothered to unpack.

Trollope also brilliantly captures that feeling of being thought guilty of something of which one is innocent, with no hope of redeeming ones reputation.

message 5: by Everyman (new)

Everyman | 3582 comments Miss Green was an enjoyable character to read, but I'm very happy that Mr. Robinson didn't wind up with her. He was less interesting as a person, but still he deserved much better.

But I was a bit surprised at how far out of his way he was willing to go for total strangers. Ah, what a pretty face will do to a young man!

message 6: by Lynnm (new)

Lynnm | 3027 comments Another enjoyable story.

It reminds me of those novels that talk about the poor behavior of certain classes of individuals who travel. Usually they focus on Americans as being the clueless, classless traveller, but here, it is a British family.

When they think that the box is stolen, they mistreat everyone, and at the end of the day, suspect Mr. Robinson of the theft, even when it was just that the package was placed in the wrong room.

Also - and maybe I am reading too much into the story - Mr. Greene is a very wealthy businessman, and maybe Trollope is saying that money doesn't make up for lack of taste, style, and breeding?

But fortunately for Mr. Robinson, he sees Miss Greene and family for what they really are before becoming involved in Miss Greene. Not that, as he said, she would have him - he was too poor for her.

And yes, as Everyman says, "what a pretty face will do to a young man." He certainly went out of his way to help them on account of that pretty face. But, we can give him, his willingness to help went down, the more he saw that Miss Greene was not really a likable person despite the pretty face.

message 7: by Silver (new)

Silver This was my favorite story thus far. It wad well crafted and entertsintung to read. It offered a littke bit of everything. Satire, mystery, and a shade of darkness in the humur with the charcters of Mrs. Green and Sophy and the animosity between them, Mrs. Green would have made a good wicked step-mother.

I had thought that Sophy planted the box in Mr. Robinson's room because she is the one who most wished to see it disappear and I could see her pulling such a prank, but I gather it was just an innocent mistake.

I did wonder why the Greene family would confide to some random traveler they met about the valuables in the box.

Was it just because they felt comradely with him because they were both from England?

message 8: by Everyman (new)

Everyman | 3582 comments Silver wrote: "I had thought that Sophy planted the box in Mr. Robinson's room because she is the one who most wished to see it disappear and I could see her pulling such a prank, but I gather it was just an innocent mistake. ."

That hadn't occurred to me, but it would have been a neat plot element if she had!