The Not a Book Club Club discussion

The Death of Dulgath (The Riyria Chronicles, #3)
This topic is about The Death of Dulgath
Michael J. Sullivan > TDoD: Ask the Author (Spoilers Likely)

Comments Showing 1-42 of 42 (42 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Rob, Mayor of Ghost Town (new) - rated it 4 stars

Rob (robzak) | 6374 comments Mod
Mr. Sullivan has offered to answer some questions to coincide with our group read of The Death of Dulgath.

To simplify things I'm going to say spoilers for all Riyria books and short stories are fair game, so if you haven't read a book or finished Death of Dulgath, you may want to avoid this post.

message 2: by Michael (new) - added it

Michael (michaeljsullivan) | 157 comments Hey all. Thanks for your interest in my latest book. I'll be stopping in on this thread and answering questions on...well just about anything. If you want to ask about my prior books, publishing, or this book - it's all game. Thanks for having me and I look forward to chatting.

message 3: by Kat (new) - added it

Kat | 1176 comments Me first, me first!

Do you listen to music while you're writing, and if yes, what kind? Or do you prefer silence to work?

I've been reading the first 4 Riyria books while listening to quite random tunes my brother composed, and I now associate one with the other, so I was wondering if there's an actual "Riyria tune".

Mark | 481 comments Micheal, did you find writing this one, easier than the first books in the series?

message 5: by Michael (new) - added it

Michael (michaeljsullivan) | 157 comments Kat wrote: Do you listen to music while you're writing, and if yes, what kind? Or do you prefer silence to work?

There have been a few scenes when I used music while I'm writing them - but for 99.9% of my writing time it has to be 100% silent. In fact, if my wife is in the house and on the phone, I'll put on noise canceling headphones. Robin is building me a "writing cabana" which is a separate office completely away from the main living quarters so that I can be even more isolated then I am now. That's going to be sweet once it's all finished.

I do have a "Riyria" playlist - but it is filled with spoilers. For those who have finished the series, write me an email (michael.sullivan.dc@gmail.com) and I'll send you the list - but as I said, it has many spoilers so I don't post it openly.

message 6: by Michael (new) - added it

Michael (michaeljsullivan) | 157 comments Mark wrote: "Micheal, did you find writing this one, easier than the first books in the series?"

Hey Mark, I did find The Death of Dulgath really effortless to write. Whenever I start a Royce and Hadrian tale I worry whether I'll be able to capture the "chemistry" between the two - but this time I didn't have any of that concern it all came together very well and really quick.

The first books were also really easy to write - mainly because I had been thinking of the stories for more than 10 years when I was on a writing hiatus. In fact, the first book took me only a month to write, and the second one about the same. Then books 3 - 6 came in a more reasonable pace (4 - 6 months each). I think the "hardest" book for me was Nyphron Rising - but even that wasn't all that hard, when all things are considered.

message 7: by Scott (last edited Dec 13, 2015 02:13PM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Scott (thekeeblertree) | 1049 comments I really loved the way the original series ended up playing out with all the revelations (ha!)

Did you plan or map that whole arc out? Did you write it as a whole and then go back and make sure threads from the earlier books matched the later ones?

How do you keep characters, plot lines, etc straight when writing such a big series? Is it hand notes, wikipedia?

Mark | 481 comments Michael wrote: "Mark wrote: "Micheal, did you find writing this one, easier than the first books in the series?"

Hey Mark, I did find The Death of Dulgath really effortless to write. Whenever I start a Royce and ..."

Lols, well after reading the first few pages the chemistry is so there so dont worry you nailed it.

message 9: by Michael (last edited Dec 14, 2015 12:29AM) (new) - added it

Michael (michaeljsullivan) | 157 comments Scott wrote: "Did you plan or map that whole arc out? Did you write it as a whole and then go back and make sure threads from the earlier books matched the later ones? "

Yes, and no. Certain things I knew about - (view spoiler)

But, yes, I do write series in an unusual way in that I write all the books before publishing the first one. This means I can (and do) go back to add various plot points and scenes when something interesting happens late in the series. It's not a process I suggest for new writers - but it works the best for me. I've done the same thing with The First Empire books. It's a five-book series that I've already written and the first one comes out in June 2016. I'm in my re-writing phase right now on that one and am 1/3 into book #3. I hope to have all five finished by April or May.

message 10: by Michael (new) - added it

Michael (michaeljsullivan) | 157 comments Scott wrote: "How do you keep characters, plot lines, etc straight when writing such a big series? Is it hand notes, wikipedia? ."

There are a number of tools in the program I use to write (Scrivener). I also use a tool for timelines which shows the various ages of people at key events. I keep telling my wife that I need a private Wikipedia, but just don't have the time to create it. She's going to do one for me at some point.

message 11: by Michael (new) - added it

Michael (michaeljsullivan) | 157 comments Mark wrote: "Lols, well after reading the first few pages the chemistry is so there so dont worry you nailed it. ."

Thanks! Robin called this book "quintessential Royce and Hadrian." That was a pretty good indication that The Death of Dulgath had the same chemistry I was looking for.

Scott (thekeeblertree) | 1049 comments Do you have the chronicles mapped out to a certain time? Since you are under contract for the First Empire books, will this be the last Royce and Hadrian book for a while?

Tammy Michael, you and Robin seem to make an amazing team, was she always interested in Fantasy or was that something that grew out of your relationship?

message 14: by Sky (new) - rated it 4 stars

Sky | 1291 comments When I read the Revelations, the meeting between Royce and Hadrian, and the job the did at the Crown Tower, was often alluded to but never fully explained. When I read Revelations, I often thought, gee, that'd make a cool stand alone story if it was ever written. Were you purposefully vague about those details while writing the original series? Did you always have an idea you might go and right a book/short story expanding on how they met and what went down at the Crown Tower? Thanks!

message 15: by Michael (new) - added it

Michael (michaeljsullivan) | 157 comments Scott wrote: "Do you have the chronicles mapped out to a certain time?

Hey Scott, the Chronicles are much different than my other series...which are designed with a given start and end. For my other series I know exactly how many books there will be because I've written the whole thing before publishing the first one. The Chronicles actually weren't suppose to exist at all. They really were just a way for me to provide my wife, and readers, with some more time with Royce and Hadrian. Technically there could be 12 books (one for each year between when they first met and the first book of Riyria.) But I'm very cautious about "jumping the shark tank" and so I'd rather have them leave too soon than stay too long. So, I don't know when (or if) there will be a "next" Chronicle until after the most recent Chronicle has been out for awhile. Right now - things look really good - and the response has been "more please" - but we've JUST released the audio,and the hardcover and the ebook has only been out for about 2 months. So, it's really early to judge. I'll be editing books #3 - #5 of my next series between now and April or May and that seems like a good amount of time past the release to say for sure. All that being said, I remain cautiously optimistic that there will be another one.

Scott wrote: "Since you are under contract for the First Empire books, will this be the last Royce and Hadrian book for a while?"

Well, see the above question about whether there will be any Riyria story...but lets be positive and assume the answer to that is yes. The original contract with Del Rey was for 4 First Empire books with the understanding that I could self-publish as long as my other books weren't released within a window of 2 months to either side of one on their releases. Unfortunately there was some misunderstanding between my agent and my editor and Del Rey considers any book written "in Elan" to be in competition with their books. Well, when we discovered that, we thought we'd have to not sign the deal because I didn't want there to be a long delay between another Royce and Hadrian book. But, Robin and my editor but their heads together and came up with a compromise.

The first thing we negotiated was that a Royce and Hadrian book could come out BEFORE the first book in The First Empire - as long as it was released by the end of the year. Hence, The Death of Dulgath - which we met the requirement on.

The second thing we negotiated was we took out one of the First Empire books from the contract and added in a "unnamed" Elan book - which could be a Riyria book. So we can have both Riyria an First Empire books coming out...the only difference is the Riyria book would have to be published by Del Rey, which I'm good with.

So the answer is that a Riyria book (if one exists) could be coming out as part of the Del Rey contract. Of course Del Rey can't commit to anything until they have a book in hand so the plan would be as follows.

#1 - Finish editing book #3 - #5 of First Empire (should be done with those in April or May.

#2 - Decide if a new Riyria book will be welcomed - and if so write it.

#3 - Work with Del Rey regarding the schedule of releases for First Empire #2 & #3 and Riyria (or some other Elan book).

I know that sounds complicated (and it is). But the bottom line is I have the flexibility where I CAN advance both series at the same time.

Does that make sense?

Suzanne | 1582 comments That sounds like good negotiating - and I'm glad it leaves it open for another Riyria book because I'm pretty sure it'll be welcomed!

Scott (thekeeblertree) | 1049 comments Awesome, thanks for that! Glad you have some wiggle room. Speaking for myself, I don't see getting tired of the duo any time soon.

Was it hard writing this new series, getting into the minds of new characters, having spent so much time with Royce and Hadrian?

message 18: by Michael (new) - added it

Michael (michaeljsullivan) | 157 comments Suzanne wrote: "That sounds like good negotiating - and I'm glad it leaves it open for another Riyria book because I'm pretty sure it'll be welcomed!"

I'm cautiously optimistic...the feedback so far regarding The Death of Dulgath has been extremely positive.

message 19: by Michael (last edited Dec 17, 2015 08:44AM) (new) - added it

Michael (michaeljsullivan) | 157 comments Scott wrote: "Speaking for myself, I don't see getting tired of the duo any time soon."

Wonderful. I do think there will be more...I have plenty of ideas for things I'd like to explore yet.

Scott wrote: "Was it hard writing this new series, getting into the minds of new characters, having spent so much time with Royce and Hadrian? .."

At the beginning, it was...but it was the same way with Royce and Hadrian. It took me awhile to get "in their heads." When I first started it, I was going for a new technique - something that seemed more aligned with other fantasy books I've read in recent years. When Robin got a peek at the first chapter she HATED it. Thought it was completely "off" and "didn't sound like me." I went back and reworked it and then she was relieved when she got the revised version. "That's more like it," she said.

Like Riyria, this series starts out simply, and its the second book that really hooks (or at least the way I see it). I also play around as who you think are the main characters really aren't...but you won't know that right away. I have some characters in this new series that I love every bit as much as my characters from Riyria - and that is a very promising sign.

message 20: by Bill (new) - rated it 5 stars

Bill | 1596 comments Since you now have a bunch of books under your belt are there any aspects of the writing process you do differently than when you were just starting out?

It seems like having a diverse cast is pretty important in
Fantasy these days so what impact did that have on your writing? Were there any characters you changed or added in later to add diversity to your cast?

message 21: by Rob, Mayor of Ghost Town (new) - rated it 4 stars

I was going to post to ask when the earliest we might see the next Riyria book would be, but it looks like you kind of covered that. I'm happy to see you have potential in your Del Ray contract for one. I'm excited for First Empire, but I already want the next Riyria book.

As far as DoD goes, did you have a story in mind already, or did you do the whole thing this summer? Like did you have an outline or the idea?

I saw you say it went smoothly. I was a bit nervous with your December deadline that the book would feel rushed from short turnaround, but it didn't at all.

Also will you be exploring the (view spoiler) idea more in First Empire?

message 22: by Michael (last edited Dec 22, 2015 12:16AM) (new) - added it

Michael (michaeljsullivan) | 157 comments Bill wrote: "Since you now have a bunch of books under your belt are there any aspects of the writing process you do differently than when you were just starting out? "

It's funny that you should ask, as Robin and I were just discussing this yesterday when walking back from lunch. I definitely have a better process now than when I first started. Most of that process involves what I call the "post production" phase - which is all the work that occurs after the book is "done."

It starts with the alpha reading - which is done by my wife. She is definitely, hands down, the best structural editor I've seen - and I've worked with some of the top names in the genre. She's really good at finding areas to tweak, point out possible plot issues, keeps me laser focused on the character's motivation. I find myself doing re-writing before she sees a book as I know "Robin will take issue with this" - So the book that comes out initially is much cleaner than it was in the past.

After fixing up all of Robin's stuff, then there is the beat process, which Robin runs and does an amazing job. The feedback I get from it has been really instrumental over the last few books. Generally it produces some very targeted changes and it's good to have a kind of focus group. In my new novel coming out in June (Age of Myth) there was an arena battle and Robin increased the level of atrocity perpetrated on one of the combatants. It became really obvious that a line had been crossed and so we toned it back down. It was great finding out stuff like that before, rather than after a release.

Finally, the copy editing and line editing process is much more structured these days. I've a core team that really knows my style and are good at making changes that make the book better, and not interjecting things that I would object to. Again, on my most recent book a new editor was put into the mix (because of a new publisher) and we just weren't a great fit. He was making certain changes that while grammatically correct, I thought was wearing the writing. For instance a sense like this: "All three silent, watching." Which is not proper English was added to increase the tension of the scene, this editor wanted to make it. "All three were silently watching." Which says the same thing but in my opinion takes all the punch out of the line. My publisher was really great about getting a different editor that was more aligned with my work -- and who had edited my stuff in the past. Having a team that already knows my preferences really helps that process.

One last difference, and this come in the pre-production phase. I tend to outline more than when I first started. Yes, I still discover things along the way, and will change the direction of the book based on what I find when writing, but the big "tent pole" aspects of a book are pretty much mapped out before I start.

message 23: by Michael (new) - added it

Michael (michaeljsullivan) | 157 comments Bill wrote: "It seems like having a diverse cast is pretty important in Fantasy these days so what impact did that have on your writing?

To be honest, I don't really think about trends in the genre as I'm writing my books. The size of the cast is determined on the story being told. Hollow World (my science fiction novel) has a really small cast...because that story was stand alone and it didn't need 30 characters. Riyria has four main characters: Royce, Hadrian, Arista, Thrace/Modina. I had certain character arcs I wanted for each of them so the focus that motivation highly influenced that book.

In my new series, Age of Myth, I knew from the start that I wanted to have an ensemble cast. This was going to be an "epic" story from the get go - whereas Revelations starts out simply with minor stakes and then grows epic in scale at it's conclusion. As such I knew that I would people with a wide range of talents and abilities. What I was surprised by was the "cast of misfit toys" became so endearing to me that they started to take center stage and became more important than who I thought were going to to be the main characters at the beginning. I ended up using this to my advantage and since I wrote all the books before publication of the first, I could do some tweaking. It'll be interesting to see what people think as when they start reading I'm sure they'll think certain characters are the "mains" and the reality is they aren't. It just takes awhile for the true stars to emerge.

message 24: by Michael (new) - added it

Michael (michaeljsullivan) | 157 comments Bill wrote: "Were there any characters you changed or added in later to add diversity to your cast?

I've never added someone for "diversity" but characters are changed or added all the time. For instance....spoiler for those who haven't read all of Riyria Revelations coming....(view spoiler)

I do sometimes switch the sex of characters. Again, not for the purposes of diversity, but because I think they are more interesting or work better as a different gender. In my next book, Arion (who was originally written as a man) was changed to a woman. There were just some things I wanted to do with her that worked better in the other role.

So, yes I change people all the time - and sometimes even create them out of think air - but it's always related to what is best for the story and not to check off some boxes with regard to how much or how little diversity I have.

Great questions, thanks for asking.

message 25: by Michael (last edited Dec 22, 2015 12:31AM) (new) - added it

Michael (michaeljsullivan) | 157 comments Rob wrote: "I was going to post to ask when the earliest we might see the next Riyria book would be, but it looks like you kind of covered that. I'm happy to see you have potential in your Del Ray contract for one. I'm excited for First Empire, but I already want the next Riyria book."

Yeah, the first step in "more Riyria" is determine IF there will be another. I'll make the final decision on that once I get done editing the books of The First Empire - which should be April or May. I'm fairly confident there will be, but of course early feedback is largely positive, so I want to see what the reaction is from those who don't rush to read the book on day 1.

message 26: by Michael (new) - added it

Michael (michaeljsullivan) | 157 comments Rob wrote: "As far as DoD goes, did you have a story in mind already, or did you do the whole thing this summer? Like did you have an outline or the idea?

I had an idea and an outline, but when I sat down to write it, I realized it wasn't time for that book yet. So all that was pushed aside. If there are more Riyria books - then I can use it for that.

So, as it turned out I had absolutely nothing on day one with regard to this book. All told I wrote it in 63 days - which is really fast compared to, say, The First Empire books. But it was in a world that I already knew well (and wasn't creating from scratch), and featuring characters I already knew well. So that was a great help. I should note that although it took 63 days to write, there was a lot of post-production work - incorporating alpha and beta comments. But the final result was remarkably close to the original. There also was a tremendous amount of copy and line editing - but that fell largely on the shoulders of Robin and three great editors: Peter, Laura, and Linda - so while it meant very little of my time, it doesn't mean that there wasn't a lot of time spent by others on it.

Rob wrote, "I saw you say it went smoothly. I was a bit nervous with your December deadline that the book would feel rushed from short turnaround, but it didn't at all. "

I definitely didn't feel rushed - and the reality is, I really wasn't. What I mean by that is I went into the project with the idea of I'm going to write the best book I can - if it happens such that we can hit the December deadline - great, a Riyria book will come out this year. But if it hadn't gone smoothly...if I was struggling or didn't like the way it came out - I'd just not release it. Yes, that would mean a longer wait for he next Royce and Hadrian book - but I wouldn't release something I wasn't 100% happy with. That's one of the very freeing things about how I write - I'm generally not under any deadlines - and as such the books are done when I say they are.

I'm glad you liked the way it came out and your fears about a possible "rush job" didn't emerge.

message 27: by Michael (last edited Dec 22, 2015 12:53AM) (new) - added it

Michael (michaeljsullivan) | 157 comments Rob wrote: "lso will you be exploring the (view spoiler) idea more in First Empire? ."

Yes, and no. There are connections between this book and the books of the First Empire so those that read both will have some nice pretty Easter eggs to find. But for people who read just one or the other, the stories work as well.

(view spoiler)

More spoilers...(view spoiler)

message 28: by Rob, Mayor of Ghost Town (new) - rated it 4 stars

Michael wrote: "So, as it turned out I had absolutely nothing on day one with regard to this book. All told I wrote it in 63 days. which is really fast compared to, say, The First Empire books. But it was in a world that I already knew well (and wasn't creating from scratch), and featuring characters I already knew well"

That's still really impressive, established world/characters or not. Do you think that's something you could have done 10 years ago? 5?

---

Michael wrote: "I definitely didn't feel rushed - and the reality is, I really wasn't. What I mean by that is I went into the project with the idea of I'm going to write the best book I can - if it happens such that we can hit the December deadline - great, a Riyria book will come out this year. But if it hadn't gone smoothly...if I was struggling or didn't like the way it came out - I'd just not release it. Yes, that would mean a longer wait for he next Royce and Hadrian book - but I wouldn't release something I wasn't 100% happy with.."

That's good to hear as a fan, but what would it have meant for backers of the kickstarter? Would they have had to wait 2 years for the book even if it was done early next year?

---

Michael wrote: "Rob wrote: "There are connections between this book and the books of the First Empire so those that read both will have some nice pretty Easter eggs to find.."

Oh cool, I'm always bad at remembering little details though, but I like that they exist. I'll have to go back and reread that part in your second spoiler tag at some point after reading the First Empire stuff.

---

And thanks again for taking time out of your busy schedule for this Q&A.

message 29: by Michael (new) - added it

Michael (michaeljsullivan) | 157 comments Rob wrote: "That's still really impressive, established world/characters or not. Do you think that's something you could have done 10 years ago? 5?"

Generally it takes me 3 - 4 months to write a book so 90 - 120 days. So while 63 days is less, we aren't talking order of magnitudes in difference. I've actually written much faster than that in the past...but there were special circumstances.

The Crown Conspiracy (first book of Theft of Swords) was written in a bit less than one month. But, I was rather obsessed and literally wrote 10 - 15 hours a day. The book had been building in my head during a 10 year hiatus. So when I decided to write again - the thing just poured out. I had problems typing fast enough - it was almost a literary version of a purge. The second book of that series, Avempartha - likewise was produce in about a month (maybe a bit more).

After I had the series "started" the pace slowed down considerably and I think Nyphron Rising (which was the third book) was more like 4 months to write.

message 30: by Michael (new) - added it

Michael (michaeljsullivan) | 157 comments Rob wrote: "That's good to hear as a fan, but what would it have meant for backers of the kickstarter? Would they have had to wait 2 years for the book even if it was done early next year?"

Oh, sorry. I wasn't clear. The Kickstarter wasn't made until after I had the book started and knew where it was going and how it would play out. At the time we launched the Kickstarter I was 100% positive that (a) the book would be a good one and (b) I'd be able to hit the December deadline.

While it is true that I finished the book just as the Kickstarter ended, the was more than enough meat on its bones for me to launch the Kickstarter with full confidence of a quality product on the timeline I specified.

I'm pretty conservative when it comes to making promises. So, yeah, there wouldn't have been a Kickstarter in the first place until the book was well established and my confidence level was extremely high. The only thing that could have stopped the book from being produced at the time of the Kickstarter was getting hit by a bus or some other form of unexpected death.

message 31: by Michael (new) - added it

Michael (michaeljsullivan) | 157 comments Rob wrote: "Oh cool, I'm always bad at remembering little details though, but I like that they exist. I'll have to go back and reread that part in your second spoiler tag at some point after reading the First Empire stuff."

One of the things I really like doing is making the re-read experience different than the first-time read. I plant many things that people may take no notice of "the first time around" but when they re-read they go , "Hey, look at that." For instance, Hadrian mentions his worst memory was in an arena with crowd changing "Galanti!" - it's not until book #3 that readers find out what that's all about. If they don't remember that detail when reading the third book - they generally stumble across it in the first book and are pleased with the inside knowledge of what it really means.

message 32: by Michael (new) - added it

Michael (michaeljsullivan) | 157 comments Rob wrote: "And thanks again for taking time out of your busy schedule for this Q&A."

Truly, this is my pleasure. I love being able to do these kinds of things.

message 33: by Anirudh (last edited Dec 22, 2015 03:58AM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Anirudh
#2 - Decide if a new Riyria book will be welcomed - and if so write it.

Your books always go to the top of my to-read so I don't think that will be a problem :)

Since your 1st empire books are somewhat finished, how long a gap are we expecting between each release? 6 months or a year+ ?

message 34: by Michael (new) - added it

Michael (michaeljsullivan) | 157 comments Anirudh wrote: "Your books always go to the top of my to-read so I don't think that will be a problem :)

Well thanks for that! You aren't alone. And I am cautiously optimistic that people want more Royce and Hadrian, I just want to be cautious and very "self-aware." If people think they've overstayed their welcome, then it's time for them to quietly retire.

Anirudh wrote: "Since your 1st empire books are somewhat finished, how long a gap are we expecting between each release? 6 months or a year+ . "

Really don't know at this point. And the publisher really can't determine "where" in the calendar to put the books until they have something to read and they have a fairly clear idea of how long the editing process is likely to take.

So far, Del Rey has only seen the first book - and of course it's release date is scheduled (Age of Myth coming June 2016). But until they get book #2, they really don't want to "hold a space open" especially when they have other books "in" to work on.

My guess is there will be a 1 year gap between book #1 and book #2. This is based on the fact that I should be getting them an "official submitted copy" in May or June. Generally, it takes about a year to do all the production stuff, so that would correspond.

But at the time they get book #2 - they'll also be getting books #3 - #5. Now they only have books 1 - 3 under contract, but after seeing #4 and #5 we should be able to reach an agreement on whether they want to pick up the last books in the series.

Anyway...having all the remaining books means they have more flexibility in scheduling. I suspect they'll do a 6 month or 1 year between books - for books 3+ rather than a "back-to-back" release like Orbit did with the Revelations and first two books of Chronicles.

Bottom line. I have no say over such things, and until the publisher gets their hands on the book, they can't really place it in a given quarter.

message 35: by Rob, Mayor of Ghost Town (new) - rated it 4 stars

Michael wrote: "One of the things I really like doing is making the re-read experience different than the first-time read. I plant many things that people may take no notice of "the first time around" but when they re-read they go , "Hey, look at that.""

I plan to do a reread (or a re-listen) of the original series in the next year or two. However I'll still most likely miss stuff like that because I have a bad memory for detail in most things.

Maybe I should take notes. :)

Scott (thekeeblertree) | 1049 comments Yeah, thanks for doing this! Very cool to see your processes closer.

I loved those a-ha moments when I did a reread of the series earlier this year. Will probably plan to do another reread soon.

message 37: by Bill (new) - rated it 5 stars

Bill | 1596 comments Thanks Michael. Like everyone else has said so far I would vote for more Hadrian and Royce. Revelations certainly started small and grew to be epic at the end. Very much looking forward to your new series if it starts out as epic.

message 38: by Michael (new) - added it

Michael (michaeljsullivan) | 157 comments Rob wrote: "I plan to do a reread (or a re-listen) of the original series in the next year or two. However I'll still most likely miss stuff like that because I have a bad memory for detail in most things. Maybe I should take notes. :) "

Keep an eye open for all references to Yolric - he's the one thread I've not pulled on and could do some stuff with in a sequel if I write it. An interesting character.

message 39: by Michael (new) - added it

Michael (michaeljsullivan) | 157 comments Scott wrote: "Yeah, thanks for doing this! Very cool to see your processes closer.

You are very welcome - I think it's so cool we have a forum to this in.
Scott wrote: "I loved those a-ha moments when I did a reread of the series earlier this year. Will probably plan to do another reread soon."

Definitely a byproduct of being able to write the whole series before releasing any of the books. Hope you enjoy the re-read.

message 40: by Michael (new) - added it

Michael (michaeljsullivan) | 157 comments Bill wrote: "Thanks Michael. Like everyone else has said so far I would vote for more Hadrian and Royce. Revelations certainly started small and grew to be epic at the end. Very much looking forward to your new series if it starts out as epic."

You are very welcome, Bill. I'll add your vote for more Royce and Hadrian. The new series takes place in a pretty important time in the history of Elan - a lot of major events happen in a very short period of time - so yeah, it's one of those periods that really has a substantial impact - part of what made writing it so much fun for me. There are a ton of things that happened in the past that only I know about - so this gave me an opportunity to let the readers see a bit more of the iceberg below the water.

message 41: by Kat (new) - added it

Kat | 1176 comments *raises hand*
If you're counting votes, I'm in!

message 42: by Michael (new) - added it

Michael (michaeljsullivan) | 157 comments Kat wrote: "*raises hand*
If you're counting votes, I'm in!"

Nice! Added your vote as well. Thanks!