The Period Drama Club discussion

General > New Period Dramas

Comments Showing 1-50 of 52 (52 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1

message 1: by Abby (new)

Abby | 75 comments Mod
Hello Everyone! I thought it would be helpful to everyone to have an update feed on up and coming period dramas! If you have heard of any new period drama movies coming out, (or want to share your speculations), post them here!

message 2: by ``Laurie (new)

``Laurie (laurielynette) Hi Abby, I heard that the Norah Lofts book A Wayside Tavern will be a new period drama TV miniseries coming soon. I don't have any more info at this time as to when or where it will be showing on TV yet.
I loved all of Lofts books so I'm looking forward to this one.

message 3: by QNPoohBear (new)

QNPoohBear | 103 comments I'm dying to see The Suffragette but it only played at 2 theaters in the state and now it's gone. There's a Season 2 of Home Fires in the works as well as Season 2 of Indian Summers.

In the Heart of the Sea directed by Ron Howard is getting LOTS of promotion. It's based on a true story from the book by Nathaniel Philbrick. The story supposedly inspired Moby Dick.

Brooklyn is getting good reviews but I haven't seen it. Brooklyn : "An Irish immigrant lands in 1950s Brooklyn, where she quickly falls into a new romance. When her past catches up with her, however, she must choose between two countries and the lives that exist within."

There's a new version of Macbeth coming out soon.

According to the Internet Movie Database:
Benedict Cumberbatch will star in the World War II drama “The War Magician,” as British hero Jasper Maskelyne, a magician who helped the Allied forces fight the Nazis. "

There are some remakes of The Jungle Book and Tarzan coming in the next year, as well as Miss Peregrine's Home for Peculiar Children

A list of book to film projects possibly in the works. Not all are coming out and not all are period.

message 4: by QNPoohBear (new)

QNPoohBear | 103 comments Mercy Street, a Civil War drama is airing on PBS now and a new adaptation of War and Peace is also on TV currently. I'm watching Mercy Street and recording War and Peace.

message 5: by Abby (new)

Abby | 75 comments Mod
I watched the first episode of Mercy Street last week and it was amazing! Some of the medical procedures were too sickening to watch, but it is a great show!

message 6: by QNPoohBear (new)

QNPoohBear | 103 comments Abby wrote: "I watched the first episode of Mercy Street last week and it was amazing! Some of the medical procedures were too sickening to watch, but it is a great show!"

It was a little gruesome but that's to be expected. Wait until they start showing what happens when a mine ball hits. It was a really horrific war and I just can't even imagine what it must have been like to be there on the battlefield. I just closed my eyes during the gory parts. I was completely annoyed by Nurse Mary Phinney's lack of accent. As a native New Englander, it sounded odd to my ears. I also felt she was too pretty and a little too young to be a nurse. The general rule was over 30, unmarried and plain. I also didn't like how she presumed to tell the doctor his views on slavery were unenlightened. If she doesn't watch her tongue she'll find herself in jail or at least ostracized.

I did like the doctor and how he knew what PTSD was. I didn't know doctors were studying it that early. I was torn about the way he treated it though, knowing what we do about addiction and addiction in Civil War soldiers. I also liked that he was from a slave holding family yet pro-Union. That's something that most people don't think about, just as there were many New Englanders who profited from slavery and didn't give two hoots about freeing the slaves.

I especially liked the southern belle with the phony Virginia accent. She seems like a complex character and I liked that she's shaping up to be more than a stereotype.

I'm super picky since I studied the Civil War extensively and wrote a not!thesis about antebellum southern women political journalists. I did a lot of research on the idea of "true womanhood". Women actually did what they had to do but found ways to justify their actions to suit the ideal. The characters are supposed to be based on real people but that means anything from their names to a correct portrayal.

message 7: by Abby (new)

Abby | 75 comments Mod
I agree; even though I couldn't watch every minute of the gruesome parts, it's good and accurate that they put it in there. It wouldn't be realistic if they didn't. I also think the bloodiness might make people realize just how horrible the war was, people who couldn't otherwise come to that conclusion.

message 8: by ``Laurie (new)

``Laurie (laurielynette) QNPoohBear wrote: "Abby wrote: "I watched the first episode of Mercy Street last week and it was amazing! Some of the medical procedures were too sickening to watch, but it is a great show!"

It was a little gruesome..."

Sadly Abby, the sufferers of PTSD could only relieve their symptoms by using morphine or liquor which are both extremely addictive as we all know. Otherwise most sufferers were prone to commit suicide as the stress they suffered was unbearable.

Like you I can't even imagine what it would be like to see friends slaughtered in dreadful ways right before your eyes and I'm pretty sure I wouldn't fare too well either.

message 9: by Abby (new)

Abby | 75 comments Mod
It just makes you think of all the petty complaints people (including me) have these days. All we need is a reminder from history to see how blessed our lives are today.

message 10: by ``Laurie (new)

``Laurie (laurielynette) Abby wrote: "It just makes you think of all the petty complaints people (including me) have these days. All we need is a reminder from history to see how blessed our lives are today."

A beautiful comment Abby and so true - we have so much to be thankful for, especially modern medicine.

message 11: by QNPoohBear (new)

QNPoohBear | 103 comments The big winner at Sundance was Birth of a Nation, about the Nat Turner rebellion. I can't see that. It was hard enough to read about both in an academic article and in fiction. (The Letter Writer by Ann Rinaldi).

message 12: by ``Laurie (new)

``Laurie (laurielynette) The film "Birth of a Nation" was based on the book:

The Clansman written by https://search.yahoo.com/search?p=tho...

The author of this book, Thomas Dixon, was born in 1864 and told the tale of Reconstruction from a southern POV and showed the emergence of the KKK which conducted guerilla warfare against the Carpetbaggers and their minions which brought an end to the Reconstruction period in the south.

You might be thinking of the book The Confessions of Nat Turner which tells of the slave uprising that occurred before the Civil War.

When did Birth of a Nation become a big winner at Sundance - this has me really confused.

message 13: by QNPoohBear (new)

QNPoohBear | 103 comments I know what the original Birth of a Nation is, but there's a new film with the same name coming out that isn't the same. This new one is actually called "The Birth of a Nation." I quote directly from http://www.sundance.org : "Director and screenwriter: Nate Parker) — Set against the antebellum South, this story follows Nat Turner, a literate slave and preacher whose financially strained owner, Samuel Turner, accepts an offer to use Nat’s preaching to subdue unruly slaves. After witnessing countless atrocities against fellow slaves, Nat devises a plan to lead his people to freedom. Cast: Nate Parker, Armie Hammer, Aja Naomi King, Jackie Earle Haley, Gabrielle Union, Mark Boone Jr."

This film was the big winner at Sundance 2016 winning U.S. Grand Jury Prize Dramatic, and the Audience Award: US Dramatic.

message 14: by ``Laurie (new)

``Laurie (laurielynette) Have you seen the original Birth of a Nation?

Are you looking forward to seeing the new Birth of a Nation?

message 15: by QNPoohBear (new)

QNPoohBear | 103 comments I have seen parts of the original. It's very important in movie history as the first cinematic film. I will not be watching the Nat Turner movie. The story is just too horrible to watch. In my graduate seminar on slavery we read an article Neighborhoods and Nat Turner: The Making of a Slave Rebel and the Unmaking of a Slave Rebellion by Anthony E. Kaye
Journal of the Early Republic
Vol. 27, No. 4 (Winter, 2007), pp. 705-720
Published by: University of Pennsylvania Press on behalf of the Society for Historians of the Early American Republic
Stable URL: http://www.jstor.org/stable/30043545

The article tells the story of what happened and quotes from The Confessions of Nat Turner. I also read a fictionalized account of the rebellion in The Letter Writer by Ann Rinaldi. That's more than enough.

message 16: by ``Laurie (new)

``Laurie (laurielynette) I'm like you QBear, I can't stand all that violence so and have no intention of reading the book or seeing the movie.

message 17: by Abby (new)

Abby | 75 comments Mod
Same here! I can't stomach so much violence.

message 18: by QNPoohBear (new)

QNPoohBear | 103 comments Julian Fellows (Downton Abbey) has a new series based on an Anthony Trollope novel airing on Amazon this spring.
http://www.harpersbazaar.com/culture/...

Willow and Thatch (WillowandThatch) | 4 comments Hi all - just wanted to let you know there are a series of posts about new period dramas in 2016, on Willow and Thatch. Too many to mention individually, and the posts are all broken into eras, like this one on what's new in the Edwardian era: http://www.willowandthatch.com/edward...

Also a note to let you know that there is a list of 100 Period Dramas Streaming on Netflix now here: http://www.willowandthatch.com/period... They aren't new, but the list is :)

Hope this helped you find new period dramas to watch!

message 20: by Abby (new)

Abby | 75 comments Mod
Willow and Thatch wrote: "Hi all - just wanted to let you know there are a series of posts about new period dramas in 2016, on Willow and Thatch. Too many to mention individually, and the posts are all broken into eras, lik..."
I will never need to search for a period drama again! :)

message 21: by [deleted user] (new)

I can't wait to see the new Beauty and the Beast movie!!! ^^

message 22: by QNPoohBear (new)

QNPoohBear | 103 comments Love & Friendship (an adaptation of Jane Austen's Lady Susan is out now. The trailers showed a few new period films:
a new Woody Allen movie called Cafe Society, set in Hollywood and New York in the 1930s: http://www.imdb.com/title/tt4513674/p...

There was a psychological thriller set in the 1950s at a college and a Romeo & Juliet tale set in 17th century Holland.

Birth of a Nation, the Nat Turner Rebellion movie will be out in wide release in October.

Best of all- Georgette Heyer's The Grand Sophy is rumored to be in pre-production and an adaptation of Sanditon, Jane Austen's unfinished final novel is also in pre-production.

message 23: by Abby (new)

Abby | 75 comments Mod
Love and Friendship was really good! And how exciting that Sandition is being made into a movie! :)

message 24: by [deleted user] (new)

Abby wrote: "Love and Friendship was really good! And how exciting that Sandition is being made into a movie! :)"

I'm really looking forward to see that! ^^

message 25: by QNPoohBear (new)

QNPoohBear | 103 comments I hope they can do justice to Jane Austen's voice and finish Sanditon seamlessly in a way that she would have done. The modern version on YouTube fizzled badly and none of the continuations I've read have been stellar.

message 26: by QNPoohBear (new)

QNPoohBear | 103 comments New one out this week- The Free State of Jones, a Civil War drama starring Matthew McConaughey. Gugu Mbatha-Raw plays his "wife". She was Dido Belle in the Georgian era drama "Belle". She's a great actress.
My mom knows someone who saw the movie and really liked it.

message 27: by ``Laurie (new)

``Laurie (laurielynette) There is also a classic book about The Free State of Jones if you're interest Q.

Tap Roots

message 28: by Abby (new)

Abby | 75 comments Mod
QNPoohBear wrote: "New one out this week- The Free State of Jones, a Civil War drama starring Matthew McConaughey. Gugu Mbatha-Raw plays his "wife". She was Dido Belle in the Georgian era drama "Belle". She's a great..."

Looks exciting, thanks for mentioning it!

message 29: by QNPoohBear (new)

QNPoohBear | 103 comments In the historical fantasy drama category we have Tarzan and Jane coming out this weekend in the U.S. It looks like it has Edgar Rice Burroughs possibly rolling over in his grave but I don't know much about Tarzan except for the Disney movie.

Also opening soon is The BFG, a new live action/CGI movie - a partnership between Steven Spielburg and Disney.

Coming soon Miss Peregrine’s Home for Peculiar Children

And... in November the much anticipated Fantastic Beasts and Where to Find Them. It stars Eddie Redmayne as Newt Scamander, a wizard trying to make his way in 1920s America where we have much stricter policies on Witchcraft and Wizardry. There's a new school of magic to learn about (I'm a horned serpent, what are you?) and new terminology like "No-Maj" which is American for Muggle. The trailer looks fabulous!

Obviously, Hollywood thinks no one reads so if it's a book, it needs to be made into a movie.

message 30: by ``Laurie (new)

``Laurie (laurielynette) Thanks QBear, I heard Tarzan tanked at the box office.

Remember the 1930 Johnny Weismuller Tarzan movies? We used to watch them every Saturday afternoon when growing up.

message 31: by QNPoohBear (new)

QNPoohBear | 103 comments The BFG also tanked. It looks cute. It's a classic book and a classic animated film. I think 90s children probably are balking at the remake and don't have kids of their own yet. I haven't seen any Tarzan movies except the Disney animated movie. This new one is supposed to be closer to the books. It looks too graphic for me.

The Nat Turner movie "Birth of a Nation" is coming out this fall. I don't think I want to see that.

message 32: by ``Laurie (new)

``Laurie (laurielynette) I can assure you that I don't want to see the remake of BoaN either!

Those Johnny Weismuller, Tarzan movies were probably better enjoyed as a kid - don't think they'd work as well for an adult.

I saw the previews for BFG and the giant looked repellent so I can certainly see why it tanked as well.

Didn't know the Tarzan movie was sticking close to the books, I might want to see it after all.

Let us know about any other good movies please :D

message 33: by Abby (new)

Abby | 75 comments Mod
PBS has a new show called Dancing on the Edge about jazz in 1930s London. I've seen parts of 2 episodes and liked it. PBS is also going to have a new show in 2017 about Queen Victoria, and that looks vefy promising!

message 34: by QNPoohBear (new)

QNPoohBear | 103 comments Andrew Davies (Pride and Prejudice, War & Peace) is adapting the novel Les Miserables for a 6 part TV adaptation due to the success of War & Peace.

I'm not sure how I feel about that or if I want to see it. In high school we watched an excellent British adaptation from the 70s or 80s and the musical is my favorite musical of all time. While I loved Pride and Prejudice and liked Sense & Sensibility and Little Dorrit, and his other classic novel adaptations, War & Peace was a bit much.

message 35: by QNPoohBear (last edited Jul 31, 2016 02:55PM) (new)

QNPoohBear | 103 comments PBS keeps showing trailers for < ahref="http://www.imdb.com/title/tt4136084/&... Foster Jenkins. It looks cute. It's sure to be a hit-it stars Meryl Streep!

Woody Allen's Cafe Society opened her finally. It looks cute but has gotten mixed reviews.

My sister-in-law said BFG was very good and not scary. The kids haven't talked about it at all. They might be too young to appreciate it.

message 36: by Abby (new)

Abby | 75 comments Mod
QNPoohBear wrote: "PBS keeps showing trailers for Florence Foster Jenkins. It looks cute. It's sure to be a hit-it stars Meryl Streep!

Woody Allen's Cafe Society opened her finally. It looks cute but has gotten mixe..."

Ive seen previews for Foster Jenkins too, and it looks good! Thanks for keeping us up to date!

message 37: by QNPoohBear (new)

QNPoohBear | 103 comments Has anyone seen Underground on WGN America? I completely missed the first season. I am currently engrossed in Poldark Season 1. I haven't had time to finish the season and I won't have time to watch Season 2 right now. :-( I'm not sure I want to. I am torn. I hate soap operas but I'm really into the story now.

The kids said they liked the BFG, even the 3 year old. He said it wasn't scary. I haven't seen it yet.

message 38: by Abby (new)

Abby | 75 comments Mod
I don't have cable for Underground, and am currently busy with Poldark as well! But BFG does sound good, I'll have to watch it sometime.

message 39: by QNPoohBear (new)

QNPoohBear | 103 comments Willow and Thatch has a great list of new and upcoming period dramas. Indian Summers is in season 2 but I've only had time to watch one episode so far. I wish it would dispense with the soap opera suds and get down to the history. Season 2 episode 1 tossed in too many new characters and situations to follow.

message 40: by QNPoohBear (new)

QNPoohBear | 103 comments Andrew Davies is at it again... this time adapting Les Miserables (non-musical) for the BBC. I'm intrigued but fear what he'll do to it.
http://www.radiotimes.com/news/2016-0...

message 41: by QNPoohBear (new)

QNPoohBear | 103 comments Two new period films coming to big screen include
Loving about an interracial couple in the 1960s who took their case to the Supreme Court.

There's also a Mel Gibson WWII picture called Hacksaw Rige

Future films don't include any costume dramas either but here's a list of movies set in the past that will be out in the near future.

20th Century Women (2016)
The story of three women who explore love and freedom in Southern California during the late 1970s. (Dec. 2016)

Allied

Allied
In 1942, an intelligence officer in North Africa encounters a female French Resistance fighter on a deadly mission behind enemy lines. When they reunite in London, their relationship is tested by the pressures of war. Stars Brad Pitt and Marion Cotillard (Nov. 2016)

Jackie
Following the assassination of President John F. Kennedy, First Lady Jacqueline Kennedy fights through grief and trauma to regain her faith, console her children, and define her husband's historic legacy. Stars Natalie Portman. (Dec. 2016)

Silence
In the seventeenth century, two Jesuit priests face violence and persecution when they travel to Japan to locate their mentor and propagate Christianity. Directed by Martin Scorsese and starring Andrew Garfield, Liam Neeson, Adam Driver (Jan. 2017)

Live by Night
A story set in the Prohibition Era and centered around a group of individuals and their dealings in the world of organized crime. Directed by and starring Ben Affleck with Elle Fanning and Zoe Saldana. (Jan. 2017)

The Lost City of Z
Based on David Grann's best-selling book The Lost City of Z A Tale of Deadly Obsession in the Amazon by David Grann The Lost City of Z is the true-life drama which centers on British explorer Col. Percival Fawcett, who disappeared while searching for a mysterious city in the Amazon in the 1920s. (April 2017)

The Great Wall
A mystery centered around the construction of the Great Wall of China. Starring Matt Damon. (Feb. 2017)

A new King Arthur picture starring Jude Law will be out in March

A new Pirates of the Caribbean movie is scheduled for next year. Disney will also have a live action version of Beauty and the Beast starring Emma Watson (Harry Potter) and Dan Stevens.(Downton Abbey)

Information from http://www.imdb.com/

message 42: by QNPoohBear (new)

QNPoohBear | 103 comments Two Agatha Christie movies are on the horizon slated for 2017
Murder on the Orient Express : "The classic mystery follows fictional detective Hercule Poirot as he pursues a murder on a famous train. Who's starring: Kenneth Branagh is directing and will play Poirot, alongside Johnny Depp, Daisy Ridley, Michelle Pfeiffer, and Hamilton star Leslie Odom Jr. Release date: Nov. 22"

That sounds like a great cast! I deliberately left the room when my parents were watching an old version on TV recently so I wouldn't be spoiled.

Another Christie The Witness for the Prosecution: A Short Story "What it's about: The short story follows a courtroom drama of a murder case with lots of twists, turns, and marital intrigue.Who's starring: Ben Affleck will direct and star in the movie.Release date: TBD"

Courtesy of PopSugar

message 43: by QNPoohBear (new)

QNPoohBear | 103 comments The musical La-La Land, set in the 1950s, is getting rave reviews from the critics. A local well-respected theater actor/director loved it as well. My parents may go see it tomorrow night.

message 44: by Mary (last edited Dec 31, 2016 07:01PM) (new)

Mary (linwe) | 2 comments On the theme of the 1950s, there's a spanish series on Netflix called 'Velvet' (up to season 3 and season 4 is filming) and I adore it! It's set in an department store but I much prefer it over The Paradise and Mr Selfridges which I tried but found them snorefests...

message 45: by QNPoohBear (new)

QNPoohBear | 103 comments I LOVED The Paradise. I wanted to move into the store. The 1950s doesn't interest me stylewise.

La-La Land was sold out so my parents didn't get to see it. I'm glad because I really want to see it. I love Emma Stone and Ryan Gosling.

message 46: by Mary (new)

Mary (linwe) | 2 comments Yes, I really want to see LaLa land too! Allied also looks interesting though I hope it's a happy ending. I do agree though, the 1950s normally doesn't do it for me either, I'd say even anything post-Edwardian haha.

I think for the Paradise I was rather superficial and the main lead didn't have a deep a voice as I was expecting lol.

message 47: by QNPoohBear (new)

QNPoohBear | 103 comments Home Fires is returning to U.S. TV for season 2 and UK season 3 will live on in the form of novels.

This movie is coming in April. It sounds good.

The Promise (2016)
PG-13 132 min
Set during the last days of the Ottoman Empire, The Promise follows a love triangle between Michael, a brilliant medical student, the beautiful and sophisticated Ana, and Chris - a renowned American journalist based in Paris.
Director: Terry George
Stars: Christian Bale, Oscar Isaac, Shohreh Aghdashloo, Angela Sarafyan

message 48: by QNPoohBear (new)

QNPoohBear | 103 comments Little Women coming to PBS! It had better be good. Louisa May Alcott is my hero and I visit Concord every year. I can't wait to see this.
Little Women Comes to Masterpiece

message 49: by Abby (new)

Abby | 75 comments Mod
QNPoohBear wrote: "Little Women coming to PBS! It had better be good. Louisa May Alcott is my hero and I visit Concord every year. I can't wait to see this.
Little Women Comes to Masterpiece"

Yay, I just heard about this too! How exciting!

message 50: by QNPoohBear (new)

QNPoohBear | 103 comments Victoria and Abdul: The True Story of the Queen's Closest Confidant is coming out soon in the U.S.

Season 3 of Poldark is underway and Season 2 of the Durrells in Corfu will start soon. PBS also has another new period show [url=http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/masterpiece/e... Collection[/url] about couture in post-war Paris.

Goodbye Christopher Robin: A. A. Milne and the Making of Winnie-the-Pooha new film set in post-WWI England, is the story behind the story of my favorite early childhood classic.

Willow and Thatch list another adaptation of Vanity Fair-this time for ITV/Amazon Prime coming in 2018.

They also report filming for Sanditon will be delayed.

« previous 1