Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows (Harry Potter, #7) Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows question

Albus Dumbledore: Could you forgive him?
Arachne Arachne (last edited Dec 08, 2015 10:16AM ) Dec 08, 2015 10:15AM
Albus Dumbledore, from books one to six, is presented as one of the greatest wizards. And then, in the seventh book, we learn that that's not excatly the case. He had done many mistakes, he was blinded by power, he acted selfishly and finally, he lied to Harry. He pretended to care about his hapiness, one could say that he loved harry as if he were his son. And suddenly, we discover, that after all this time, he wanted Harry to die for the common good. When I first read about it, it occured to me that Snape actually loves Harry more than Dumbledore and that it was like that from the very beginning. Yet though, at the end, Harry names his son after Dumbledore. Even though he betrayed him. Personally, I can't understand why. How could he ever forgive him?

Snape thought that Dumbledore was "raising Harry like a pig to slaughter," but that wasn't true. It's what we learned when Harry went into Snape's memories in the seventh one, but that wasn't the case.

Dumbledore is smart enough and kind enough to understand that Harry sacrificing himself wouldn't end in Harry's death. He wasn't building Harry up to kill him; not at all! He knew that Harry was the one who would defeat Voldemort, and he knew that the only way Harry would kill the horcrux in himself would be to sacrifice himself- to lwt Voldemort himself Avada Kedavra his own horcrux away.

But Snape didn't know this. He couldn't- Dumbledore never told him about horcruxes. So Snape thought that Harry's death was the whole plan, but it wasn't. The goal was to kill the horcrux, and Dumbledore knew sort of what would happen afterwards.

So my point is that Dumbledore was smart and kind-- he did some stuff in his youth, but when he grew up he stood up for muggle borns and muggles in the wizarding community and he dedicated his life to defeating Voldemort and ensuring an education for wizard students in the UK. So I think Harry should and did right by forgiving him. I think he should forgive Dumbledore more than Snape, anyway-- Snape was a major factor in his parents' deaths and he was a jerk to him and everyone he was friends with for years (because of a schoolboy's grudge, no less).

Arachne You're right if this was the case (if Dumbledore knew that Harry would survive) but how did Harry knew it was like that and that his survival wasn't j ...more
Dec 16, 2015 07:20AM · flag

Well "greatest" isn't a synonym for "perfect" and besides he was young (and in love) when he ran around with Grindelwald and even in the real world the greatest people made mistakes (huge ones) and that didn't stop them being great. He knew or at least guessed from the start that Harry would have to sacrifice himself for the world to be rid of Voldy but i don't think he "pretended" to care for him. He tried to make Harry's life a lot less miserable than it already was. I mean do you think it would've been kind if he just told Harry directly that he needs to go up to Voldy and let the latter avada kedavra him, oh but he doesn't have to worry because there's the off chance that he'd survive anyway?. He protected him whenever he could and no not like a pig for slaughter because his actions weren't solely for eliminating the horcruxes; they actually gave Harry a fighting chance.

If there's anyone who should feel any resentment towards Dumbledore it should be Snape because if the former was just so omniscient then i suppose he foresaw that Voldy might come after Snape because of the elderwand regardless if it was effectively uhmm...decommissioned.

Dumbledore guided Harry through his journey and Voldemort could not have been defeated without his help. I can't remember the exact quote, but Dumbledore said something about despising himself in the King's Cross scene and Harry forgave him. Harry is a good person; good people forgive other good people (and even the more sinister people) for their mistakes and misdoings, especially if the wrongdoer knows that they were in the wrong and are sorry for it.

Arachne I guess you've got a point. ...more
Dec 09, 2015 02:51AM

Sometimes people can forgive and forget... i guess this was the case.