Mount TBR 2016 discussion

Level 1: Pike's Peak (12 Books) > Staring at the Wall

Comments Showing 1-20 of 20 (20 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Justme (last edited Dec 11, 2016 01:59PM) (new)

Justme | 14 comments Well, out of the 239 books I've read so far this year, only 4 have been non-fiction (not counting skimmed or picture browsing)...sooooo, I've decided I need a little incentive to read more in this category!

My MT TBR 2016 Challenge is to read at least 12 non-fiction books, either print or ebook. I admit that these are also books I am reading for the 2016 Reading Challenge, which I joined after joining this challenge.

1. Stones into Schools by Greg Mortenson 4
2. Show Me How: 500 Things You Should Know by Derek Fagerstrom & Lauren Smith 1
3. Nickel and Dimed: On (Not) Getting By in America by Barbara Ehrenreich 4
4. In the Wilderness by Kim Barnes 2
5. Smart Love by Martha Heineman Pieper by Martha Heineman & William J Pieper 5
6. The GAIA Project 2012: The Earth's Coming Great Changes by Hwee-Yong Jang 2
7. Under the Tuscan Sun by Frances Mayes 4
8. The Best Advice I Ever Got: Lessons from Extraordinary Lives by Katie Couric 2
~9. Leonard: My Fifty-Year Friendship with a Remarkable Man by William Shatner 2
10. The Happiest Refugee by Anh Do 3.5
11. Kahuna Healing by Sergi Kahili King 4
12. Minerals of the World by Alain Eid & Michel Viard 3.5

Joined the Seasonal Reading Challenge in October:
13. Acu-Yoga: Self Help Techniques to Relieve Tension by Michael Reed Gach 5
~14. The Dogs Were Rescued...and So Was I by Teresa J Rhyne 3
15. Drawing Lab for Mixed-Media Artists by Carla Sonheim 3.75
16 Zen and the Art of Happiness by Chris Prentiss 4
17. Living Sanely in an Insane World: Philosophy for Real People by John F. Groom 4
18. Don't Sweat the Small Stuff... and it's all small stuff by Richard Carlson 4
*19. The Immortal Life of Henrietta Lacks by Rebbeca Skloot 5
20. A Woman's Worth by Marianne Williamson 2.5
21. Before They're Gone A Family's Year-Long Quest to Explore America's Most Endangered National Parks by Michael Lanza 3.5
22. Come as You Are by Emily Nagoski 5
~23. The Dirty Life by Kristin Kimball 4
*24. The Legacy: An Elder's Vision for Our Sustainable Future by David Suzuki 4

message 2: by Justme (last edited Dec 13, 2015 10:27PM) (new)

Justme | 14 comments I've made a list of all my current TBR non-fiction that I wanted to read "now"...43 ebooks.
I went back to my print TBR (started a list in 2008) & added 8 of the oldest - for a total "pick me" list of 51 books!
https://www.goodreads.com/review/list...

I am reading one now, that won't count for the challenge & it is cracking me up...with some head nodding, too. It was written in 1972...as part of the free-love, hippie spirituality (I inherited from my mother). It's just a little thing (have you noticed how many books then were NOT manifestos?) of 80 pages.
The Lazy Man's Guide to Enlightenment by Thaddeus Golas

message 3: by Bev (new)

Bev | 715 comments Mod
Good luck with your non-fiction TBR!

message 4: by Justme (new)

Justme | 14 comments Thanks!
I'm so eager to get started...I've got my first book lined up & I keep popping in here!

message 5: by Bev (new)

Bev | 715 comments Mod
Justme wrote: "Thanks!
I'm so eager to get started...I've got my first book lined up & I keep popping in here!"

I know what you mean. I start collecting my new challenges every November and I want to get started on them right then. (Nevermind that I still have challenges to complete from the current year. :-) )

message 6: by Justme (last edited Jan 08, 2016 05:57AM) (new)

Justme | 14 comments Aaaand...I'm still reading that tiny book from last month. Plus another I haul around to read at the nursing home.

Well, I started a new book today (Jan 7) anyway...I'm going to edit 1st post to make it easier to see the list. Also, I'm debating the validity of books that qualify for multiple challenges: I'm going to post them now, with the hopes of replacing them, but really...it doesn't matter because the goal was to read more non-fiction & I'm doing that...so, they are legitimate entries. And that means I'll probably overshoot my goal.

message 7: by Justme (new)

Justme | 14 comments 2 for January; see 1st post! Not quite finished, as one is my 'nursing home' book.

message 8: by Andrew (new)

Andrew (nitesead) Fun twist on the challenge. I'm in the middle of three nonfiction books right now, which I don't think I've done since college!

message 9: by Justme (new)

Justme | 14 comments Yep, I've got three started for this challenge, though I've got shelves full of "started" non-fiction books. Lots of times, I start reading & think, I've got to share this info...and put it down until I can.

message 10: by Justme (last edited Apr 01, 2016 04:38AM) (new)

Justme | 14 comments My computer died last month, so I was reduced in reading options...I finished my 'nursing home' book, but I would have tossed it on the rack for someone else if not for this challenge. Good writer, miserably ordinary topic.

This year will definitely be a 'reading challenge,' as I don't know when I'll be able to fix the laptop. Note to self: not all upgrades are good ones! If it was the old bulbs, I could replace the necessary part for $10. Don't see why I couldn't do the same with the LED backlights, but all I get are buy the whole screen...

message 11: by Bev (new)

Bev | 715 comments Mod
Justme wrote: "My computer died last month, so I was reduced in reading options...I finished my 'nursing home' book, but I would have tossed it on the rack for someone else if not for this challenge. Good writer,..."

Oh no! Hope you find an easier fix than "buy the whole screen"!

message 12: by Justme (last edited Jun 15, 2016 05:48AM) (new)

Justme | 14 comments Thank you for the thought! I'm still on a loaner, but it's working out okay...in other words, I'll make do for a while longer; maybe a new refurb computer will be in the budget next year. Didn't think the screen was worth it.

Whelp, I just accidentally reread a book from a 4 years ago...and it wasn't a good one! At least it was a (relatively) quick read.

Also, I removed this one from the list, as there wasn't much reading, more like studying (art)...Cezanne Landscapes by Daniel & Denise Ankele 3

message 13: by Justme (last edited Aug 20, 2016 07:31AM) (new)

Justme | 14 comments I am finally reading my oldest TBR book! (This is not the oldest book I have or own, but the oldest I rec'd since I made a TBR...since I'm still finishing cataloging books I had before that...and I keep finding more boxes tucked away! So, an author I read years ago, and have collected all his works; I have had this book sitting on a shelf since 2008.

Kahuna Healing by Serge Kahili King

Not ready to review, besides saying that any time I've read his books, they have resonated with me powerfully! One thing I notice is quite a bit of overlap with his other books, but the time between allows for reminder & rephrasing while looking for new tips/tools/perspectives ('enlightenment')...so, I wouldn't want to read them all at once.

Review:
Less overlap than 1st thought. Overall, I would call this a lecture on Kahuna philosophy (some history, but more in Urban Shaman). Interesting & insightful. If you understand that all healing comes from within, then you can understand this process...but there are no clear directions, so to speak. Really enjoyed the appendix on depths of meaning (code) in Hawaiian language, and thought the Bibliography was also fantastic (author's reviews of books in his library on Kahunas).

Finally, you will find that Kahunas respect all religious beliefs, and that this type of healing does not interfere with religious beliefs (used several Christian examples).

message 14: by Justme (last edited Sep 01, 2016 07:02PM) (new)

Justme | 14 comments My challenge is complete! Half came from my "read now" list prepared at the beginning, including oldest on TBR of new millenium.

message 15: by Alanna (new)

Alanna Congratulations! I hope you're enjoying Come As You Are, I found it quite interesting.

message 16: by Jessika (new)

Jessika (jessika_56) Great job! Congratulations!

message 17: by Justme (new)

Justme | 14 comments Alanna, it's amazing! It should be required HS reading! I should finish it this month. I am just a few pages away from finishing the Accu-Yoga, too; both are highly recommended!

Thanks Jessika...I'm stoked. But also glad to relax with some of my fun reading the rest of the year.

message 18: by Bev (new)

Bev | 715 comments Mod
I'm sorry I missed your celebration in September. But congratulations on making the peak!!

message 19: by Justme (new)

Justme | 14 comments Thanks! I just really shocked at how many I have been able to add since then, while reading my "fluff" or "fun" books...I've been really motivated by the Seasonal Reading Challenge!

message 20: by Justme (new)

Justme | 14 comments Whoops...reading the rules for 2017, I realized I had gotten a couple of ~new books in 2016, and also read a couple *borrowed ebooks from the library for another challenge. It doesn't affect my personal challenge, just disclosure.