The Fault in Our Stars The Fault in Our Stars question

Would you change the ending?
Arachne Arachne (last edited Dec 08, 2015 09:48AM ) Dec 08, 2015 09:46AM
Personally, I would never change the plot; I believe it's wonderful as it is. A happy ending, in my point of view, would have ruined the book. It wouldn't be realistic any more. This is the reason I love John Green's books. There's never sush thing as happily ever after, still, the main character manages to find happiness through his sadness. Just the way it happens in the real world.
Yet though, there is something I would like to change. I would really love it if the book ended in the middle of a sentence, just like in the "An Imperial Affliction".

That would have been a great ending indeed.

Arachne True R. Kaye.
Jan 22, 2016 07:45AM · flag
Rachel The whole time I was reading this book, that was exactly what I was anticipating. I was slightly disappointed that it never did but it did sort of fol ...more
Feb 25, 2016 06:07AM · flag

I don't think I'd change the ending. Yes, it is a sad ending,but like everyone else has said I think it would have ruined the book with a happy ending. The whole book tore my heart up, but it was extremely good!

i like the ending how it was

I agree. The ending is perfect. If it ended with a happy ending than it would be too predictable or just not realistic.

I'd have Hazel say something random or everyday to show how she's going to keep living her life. It would show that she understands how she can move on.

I think that the book should stay the same.

It is unique.

If the end was different then his books would no longer be based on reality. Hes known for it so no I dont think the book wouldve been better with a different ending.

Yes. I liked the book, but thought the ending was somehow too neat, that the story completed a much too perfect circle for it to truly be the realistic ending it was supposed to be (not happy-cheese, but cheese still, I suppose). Honestly, it made me feel kind of manipulated and like the focus suddenly shifted away from Hazel to Gus - and I didn't read the book for his story at all. Ending in mid-sentence would indeed have been better :-D.

I wouldn't change the ending, i love it the way it is. I don't think it was that predictable since I was pretty sure, especially in the beginning of the book, that Hazel would die and not Gus. The ending was very sad but I think that is what makes the story so realistic. If none of them would have died the story wouldn't be so popular. The end was beautiful (they also made it in the movie very beautiful with the quote.)

I loved the ending, I think its a way of showing that life is not fairytale but thats okay,. I think this book had a lot of great meaning behind it. Actually whenI first finished the book I was like what??? This can not be the ending and I was pretty annoyed but then I realized how an amazing ending it was with Hazel saying "I do". I would honestly never change the ending although ending in the middle of a sentence would have been pretty cool too but if you think about it what would that last sentence be and where would it cut? Comment

They should've died together after a wedding in some fatal car crash.

deleted member Dec 14, 2015 01:54PM   0 votes
I think the ending was not as supportive and inspiring to young people with cancer as it could have/should have been, but maybe that was because it was supposed to be more realistic... opinions?

I wouldn't change anything. But I'm a sucker for a happy ending and wished he lived and they lived happily ever after but life isn't always like that.

Mysterious wrote: "Personally, I would never change the plot; I believe it's wonderful as it is. A happy ending, in my point of view, would have ruined the book. It wouldn't be realistic any more. This is the reason ..."

I accept the ending though it's unbearable. But this love will never end, i'm sure.

Same. The book's ending is wonderful. I think that's what I like most about John Green's books. His writing is unique and maybe that's why I love his books. TFIOS ended perfectly, even though it's was a sad ending. Wouldn't want to change anything. If we want a happy ending - we could just think of one ourselves.

i thought the ending was perfect as it was, but for a while i thought that's exactly what was going to happen; she would get sicker and sicker and then the sto

I love the ending to I just would have put a continuation for the book about how Hazel found another love. Maybe even Isaac and her getting together and found love between them?

I think the book is popular BECAUSE of the ending. Crying teenage girls is the way to book sales.

i would not change the end, John Green show us that the happiness could be only at the beginning ~~
and not all the endings happy and joyful

Mysterious wrote: "Personally, I would never change the plot; I believe it's wonderful as it is. A happy ending, in my point of view, would have ruined the book. It wouldn't be realistic any more. This is the reason ..."

That is exactly how I wanted it to end. Even though the ending was spoiled for me, I thought it would be really cool if it ended that way.

I love the ending as it is...