Sci-fi and Heroic Fantasy discussion

SF/F Movie, TV & Video Game Chat > KSR's "Red Mars" coming to TV

Comments Showing 1-8 of 8 (8 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by [deleted user] (new)

According to industry magazine Variety, Kim Stanley Robinson's Red Mars is coming to TV.

Spike Gives Straight-to-Series Order to ‘Red Mars’.

So, without even a pilot episode. Scheduled for production this summer (executive producer J. Michael Straczynski (Babylon 5), no cast yet) for 2017 Premier.

Spike TV is currently home for vampire movie spinoff "From Dusk till Dawn", though it's not known for its sci-fi (come to think of it, I don't think it's much known at all.)

message 2: by Dan (new)

Dan Davis (dandaviswrites) | 1 comments I don't know how to feel about this. One of my favourite series ever. I mean, I hope it's amazing. But I will not get emotionally invested in this one like I did with ASOIF. I suppose anything that promotes the idea of Mars as a colony in the popular imagination has to be a good thing if we're ever going to get there. Yes, okay, I won myself over even though it will never be able to approach the complexity and subtly that made the books so great.

message 3: by Brendan (new)

Brendan (mistershine) | 743 comments Spike tv...

message 4: by V.W. (new)

V.W. Singer | 253 comments Another author that never interested me, so the series holds no appeal either.

message 5: by Tani (new)

Tani | 52 comments I just finished this series, and although I wasn't the hugest fan, I would definitely try watching a TV series. It could translate really well, although the Spike TV thing makes me nervous...

message 6: by [deleted user] (new)

Tani wrote: "... although the Spike TV thing makes me nervous..."

Hard to know. A decade ago they did a decent job with a Blade TV series (though it only lasted one season.)

These days, they like boxing, wrestling & martial arts a lot. Also, Lip-Synch Battle. (Their UK channel features reruns of The Walking Dead.)

message 7: by Bryan (new)

Bryan | 243 comments G33z3r wrote: "Hard to know. A decade ago they did a decent job with a Blade TV series (though it only lasted one season.)"

Yeah, it was ok and getting better by the end. The biggest problem was the acting, though.
I can't think of any other Spike TV original scripted show?

message 8: by Nicholas (new)

Nicholas | 46 comments Bryan wrote: "I can't think of any other Spike TV original scripted show?"

They might be using this series as a litmus test to gauge whether they should begin focusing more on scripted shows instead of their usual reality drab. I don't know, maybe it's just me, but the desire for a show with writers seems to be becoming more desirable, especially with the success Netflix is having.