Dubuque Virtual Book Club discussion

The Shadow Hero Omnibus
This topic is about The Shadow Hero Omnibus
Graphic Content > December 2015: The Shadow Hero by Gene Luen Yang

Comments Showing 1-2 of 2 (2 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

Carnegie-Stout Public Library (carnegie_stout) | 68 comments Mod
Our graphic novel discussion group meets every other month. Meeting are 7:00-8:30 p.m. in the Lacy Board Room on the third floor. No registration necessary. Copies of the selected book are available at the Circulation Desk one month prior to the meeting.

On Tuesday, December 8, we’ll discuss The Shadow Hero by Gene Luen Yang. In the comics boom of the 1940s, a legend was born: the Green Turtle. He solved crimes and fought injustice just like the other comics characters. But this mysterious masked crusader was hiding something more than your run-of-the-mill secret identity... The Green Turtle was the first Asian American super hero. The comic had a short run before lapsing into obscurity, but the acclaimed author of American Born Chinese, Gene Luen Yang, has finally revived this character in Shadow Hero, a new graphic novel that creates an origin story for the Green Turtle. With artwork by Sonny Liew, this gorgeous, funny comics adventure is a new spin on the long, rich tradition of American comics lore.

Sarah S (sarah_elsewhere) | 83 comments Mod
I was struck on rereading this comic for tonight's discussion by the amount of humor. I'd remembered the action, the family drama, the racism, but forgotten the moments of humor that helped to lighten the tale. This fits with the style of other books by Gene Luen Yang that I've read, but I wonder if it's also fitting for the style of Golden Age comics, with which I'm less familiar.