Around the Year in 52 Books discussion

Switch! The Lost Kingdoms of Karibu
Switch! The Lost Kingdoms of Karibu, by Karen Prince

Comments Showing 1-6 of 6 (6 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Zaz (new) - rated it 4 stars

Zaz | 3034 comments Switch! The Lost Kingdoms of Karibu, fantasy.

Summary:
Trouble is brewing in Karibu and Gogo Maya and her leopard are about to make matters worse. Their risky ‘switching’ trick has jettisoned them right out of the secret realm, sucking a teenager from the ordinary world into the mess they left behind them.
Ethan Flynn is pretty useless in the African bush but at least he knows how to do CPR . . . and that’s when he finds out you shouldn’t do it on a witch.

I'll read this book for #2 (A book set in a different continent). It's set in Africa and was waiting since March in my TBR.
I'm very interested in reading a book happening somewhere else than the US or England, Africa is not one of my usual backgrounds so it will be a good change of scenery! The fact there is magic is also appealing and the ratings are pretty high.

message 2: by Sophie (new)

Sophie (sawphie) | 2920 comments At first I thought it was set in Canada because of the Caribous haha

message 3: by Caitlin (new)

Caitlin (0utnumbered321) I am in the same boat as you, just a different book. I wanted to stay clear of North America and Europe (esp. UK and Western Europe) for the different continent challenge because so many of my books come from those 2 continents & I wanted to use this challenge to force me out of my comfort zones. I also went with Africa, South Africa.

message 4: by Lieke (new)

Lieke | 709 comments Sounds good, looking forward to hear your thoughts about the book.

message 5: by Zaz (new) - rated it 4 stars

Zaz | 3034 comments Ok, I'm around 60%, so it's time to give a little feedback.

The first chapters were very smooth and enjoyable. And then, the author pushed bad written teenagers in my eyes, which is not pleasant. I think it's the weak point of the book as, in my opinion, the characterization is unidimensional. Being worried or jealous or brave doesn't add much flesh to the characters.

Otherwise, the world building is interesting with plenty of ideas for all the magic, like animals turning into humans, but keeping some features of their species. The african atmosphere is good and I think well described (I never went to Africa, so I'm not sure). The story is here to discover the world and the magic, so it has an adventurous touch and is nice, but it probably works better with younger readers.

For the moment, I'm surprised that over 60% of the ratings are 5 stars. Probably more a 4 stars for me, regarding the writing.

message 6: by Zaz (last edited Feb 13, 2016 01:13PM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Zaz | 3034 comments Finished, with a 3.5 stars rating. The book is fine for a self publication and the setting is unusual.

I enjoyed the world and the story was pleasant but, really, the characterization was flat. Sometimes it's not a problem when the story is amazing, but here it's more an adventure for young readers (but not too young), so nothing compelling to balance the heroes.

It was nice to read a book set in Africa, I'm looking forward to another one.