Beta Reader Group discussion

Covers, Blurbs, 1st Line, Query > Feedback on covers, YA Fantasy

Comments Showing 1-30 of 30 (30 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Morgan (new)

Morgan Sivan | 14 comments Hey guys! I'm struggling to pick one cover that is catchy enough. All of them are representative to the book. Thank you for looking/commenting!

https://www.dropbox.com/s/0nialihai1g...

https://www.dropbox.com/s/ppilrdhs2m9...

https://www.dropbox.com/s/s8um3iawi6v...

https://www.dropbox.com/s/3c1uc7omsuv...

message 2: by Rachel (new)

Rachel Krause (steepedinpages) | 21 comments I'm drawn to the first one, but I'd say it'd be easier to choose if I knew a bit about your novel. Can you post a synopsis?

message 3: by Safa (new)

Safa Shaqsy (safashaqsy) | 13 comments the first one looks good

message 4: by Zara (new)

Zara Deyn | 45 comments Much prefer the first one - the rest look as though they have been 'crossed out' - and the lettering is more clear on the first.
Thanks for the chance to comment - good luck and much success.

message 5: by Morgan (new)

Morgan Sivan | 14 comments Thank you guys so much! Really, I've been agonizing over this. It means a lot you took your time to open images and comment. <3

@Rachel, the book is about Primordial Elements of nature, the triangles are the alchemical symbols of fire and air. I'm still trying to write a good blurb at the moment.

message 6: by Zara (new)

Zara Deyn | 45 comments Morgan,

You've hooked me already with your pre-blurb, blurb! How exciting.

I wonder what genre that fits into? (I mean for wretched marketing purposes).

I wish you well. How exciting!

message 7: by Sydney (new)

Sydney K. | 9 comments The first one is much clearer and more interesting, so I prefer that one.

message 8: by Crystal (new)

Crystal | 28 comments My favorite is number one, as well! :)

message 9: by M. K (new)

M. K | 7 comments The 1st and 4th are horrible
The 3rd is ok
The 2nd is the best.

message 10: by Morgan (new)

Morgan Sivan | 14 comments @Zara, thank you so much! I'm glad you like the idea. It's a dark Young Adult Fantasy with a bit of Romance.
@Sydney, @Crystal, thank you guys! I did the first one so it's a huge booster to know I don't suck.
@M. Kirby, I like the 2-nd too. It's a cover one of my friends did. Thank you! :D

message 11: by Trutze (new)

Trutze | 5 comments 1st or 2nd
the others are too hard to read and lack contrast.
If you chose the 2nd, I would'd recommend to change the font and maybe fontcolor (no texture on font), too.
Big dropshadows like the one used are outdated.

While cover one gives the impression of a very naturalistic story, cover two sends of a gloomier vibe

message 12: by Crystal (new)

Crystal | 28 comments @Sydney, @Crystal, thank you guys! I did the first one so it's a huge booster to know I ..."

You definitely don't suck! Great job.

message 13: by Nevada (new)

Nevada (vadatastic) | 54 comments 3 & 4 are no good.

1 is the best if it's a YA coming of age, figuring things out, the world isn't really what it seems kind of book. I know this may be an optical illusion, but I feel like the triangles in the center aren't really centered on the horizontal line. If this is on purpose it should probably be a little more definitive, if it's not just double check yourself.

2 is good if the book is a little darker, understated, intrigue kind of book. The title font, does not work though, there's not enough contrast with the gray, calm background.

message 14: by Morgan (new)

Morgan Sivan | 14 comments @Crystal, thank you again. You are awesome!
@Nevada, I initially put the triangles like that but after your comment I aligned them. So much better looking! Thank you so much!

message 15: by Nevada (new)

Nevada (vadatastic) | 54 comments Don't forget to post the updated version(s). :)

message 16: by Morgan (new)

Morgan Sivan | 14 comments The new version: https://www.dropbox.com/s/hl3wplejx8m...

Why didn't I think I should post this?

message 17: by Nevada (new)

Nevada (vadatastic) | 54 comments You changed the title?

I actually liked the way you had the triangles sliding on each other before, just thought that the "slide" was off center. The tip of the blue triangle was centered and the orange triangle was full on right, where the apex of each triangle should be off-center the same amount so that the whole image is centered not just one triangle.

Honestly, I feel like the slide and the two horizontal lines created something together that I was interested in.

Somehow, to me, the new one feels more generic.

I think I'm being too literal here, but the new one makes me think invasion, taking over, and defense/holding the line. The first one made me think of intersections, overlapping individuality, holding your own, "this is me - this is you - right here between the two lines we are us". I know this is very choppy, but maybe you get the gist.

Take my comments with a grain of salt and the knowledge that you're the author and it's your book to do whatever with. :)

message 18: by Morgan (new)

Morgan Sivan | 14 comments @ Nevada I'm AGONIZING over the title so I tend to change it a lot. I decided to put the two triangles back together (one of my first versions of the book) because it looks like an hourglass and my main character is dying so it seemed fit at the time. Considering this, what do you think?
Everything you said about the first version I posted here, you are completely right. There's a fine line between my main characters, yet there is the idea of defense along the book.

message 19: by Nevada (new)

Nevada (vadatastic) | 54 comments I get what you're trying to do (I think) but I still prefer the sliding triangles.

The orange one over-powers and invades the blue in the new one. If the new one is the version you want though, maybe consider adding the top line back in. The diamond color seems off to me, too, like the blue is losing.

I feel so Freudian talking about this stuff.

message 20: by Morgan (new)

Morgan Sivan | 14 comments @Nevada, you are so fing great, I swear! Actually, the blue one loses. I didn't even think about this until you told me. But, I think I'll use the sliding triangles, I'm not sure yet. Your comments were so helpfull, you have no idea how much! Thank you sooo much! You are my life savior.

message 21: by Melissa (new)

Melissa | 6 comments The first one is the best in my opinion. It seems the most cohesive to me. These are all very interesting images though. I also feel that the geometric designs are very trendy at the moment. I think that will attract the young adult audience, and then the fact that the triangles are actually symbolic in alchemy makes it that much better.

I will say the four triangles illustrates the four elements better, but I think you get more duality in the two triangles. Also, I'm not a huge fan of the stretch font in all but #1.

#3 is particularly hard to read, though the colors are more eye catching.

In #2, I don't like how the 'east' triangle overlaps the mountain. In my opinion, it looks pasted on. #2 is definitely my least favorite.

All that being said, these are all very good and I think they are each intriguing. My favorites would have to #1 and #3.

message 22: by Melissa (new)

Melissa | 6 comments I just realized you have a newer design! I agree with Nevada. I like the sliding triangles best. The shape is not one we see often, especially with the two dissecting lines. I think this makes your cover more fresh and interesting.

I do like the starker contrast in the newest design. Somehow that made it a bit less busy.

One other thing, in the newer one, the title is a bit squished in my opinion.

So perhaps incorporating the sliding triangles and double lines with the new contrast and title could achieve the best of both worlds? Of course, it's all up to you. :)

message 23: by Morgan (new)

Morgan Sivan | 14 comments Thank you very much for your advice and opinion, Melissa. I agree with you. The title is a bit squished. Thanks for pointing that out ;)

message 24: by Miles-A. (new)

Miles-A. (miles-a) | 4 comments My favourite two are covers 1 (the first version of 1) and cover 2. The triangles sliding against each other with that background in particular is captivating, and contrasting colours between the two triangles, I think, is likely to capture someone's attention in a book shop. Cover 2 is also very good. It has a slightly more daunting and mysterious feel to it than cover 1 and stands out in its own way. In my opinion, covers 3 and 4 are just worse versions of cover 2, but they're still quite interesting. You did a beautiful job on all of them by the way. Hope this helped :)

message 25: by Morgan (new)

Morgan Sivan | 14 comments Thank you so much Miles-A! Your nice words really made me proud of myself which is a first. Yes, I like that version best too.

message 26: by Miles-A. (new)

Miles-A. (miles-a) | 4 comments Morgan wrote: "Thank you so much Miles-A! Your nice words really made me proud of myself which is a first. Yes, I like that version best too."
No problem, you did a great job. From the covers alone, it looks like a very interesting project, let us all know when you decide on a cover and maybe post your book up to beta read :)

message 27: by Brendan (new)

Brendan | 9 comments I vote for the second one.

The first one is my least favorite.

message 28: by Katie (new)

Katie Garner (katie_garner) | 5 comments Second one, clear to read, looks professional!

message 29: by Mimi (new)

Mimi Marten | 27 comments I may be the minority here....:-)), but my favorite is the first one.
It looks very professional and mystique....:-))

message 30: by Morgan (new)

Morgan Sivan | 14 comments @Brendan, @Katie, I think the second one is loved the most. Thank you guys for your feedback ;)

@Mimi, I liked the first too but we are in minority here, as you already said. Thank you for your feedback :D