Star Trek discussion

Comments Showing 1-25 of 25 (25 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Travis (new)

Travis (travishiltz) | 131 comments how are people feeling about the idea of a new series in 2017?

message 2: by Whitney (new)

Whitney (whitneychakara) | 6 comments I'm loving the idea of a new show not loving the idea of them trying to use it to get people to subscribe to their sub services. As many others have been saying around the web I will probably have to wait until its all out and then subscribe and binge watch then unsubscribe from the stream. if anything I think it would be a smart move for CBS to keep it on air instead of going only to streaming after the first episode. Might be a good way to bring people back to TV and raise views instead of waiting until the season is over and binge watching as most do these days.

I am wondering what it will be about though as it will not be set in the new universe that has been created from what I've heard.

message 3: by Susan (new)

Susan Rubinstein | 16 comments Thrilled for a new show. I don't think the new movies have helped the franchise at all. Anything to gain new interest, and new fans is great. However, I'm upset that it will be on a subscription basis. Bad move on CBS's part, I believe. If the show is in the new movie universe, I probably won't watch.

message 4: by Whitney (new)

Whitney (whitneychakara) | 6 comments Susan wrote: "Thrilled for a new show. I don't think the new movies have helped the franchise at all. Anything to gain new interest, and new fans is great. However, I'm upset that it will be on a subscription ba..."

i've heard that it will not be related to the movies.

message 5: by Nathan, Executive Officer (new)

Nathan (navrin) | 30 comments Mod
New TV show announced at the convention. Captain Jean Luc Picard will have the later part of is life told in the new series - unfortunately on CBS All Access...

https://twitter.com/SirPatStew?ref_sr...

http://www.startrek.com/article/sir-p...

https://www.polygon.com/2018/8/4/1759...

message 6: by Travis (new)

Travis (travishiltz) | 131 comments Rumor has it they may be doing a 'young Indiana Jones' format with the Picard series.

message 7: by Travis (new)

Travis (travishiltz) | 131 comments So, 'Lower Decks' trailer looks dismal.

Lazy, unfunny writing.

Such a waste of a good idea.

message 8: by Clint (new)

Clint Hall (clint_hall) | 10 comments I'm more looking forward to 'Strange New Worlds' than I am to 'Picard' Season 2. Anyone else in that boat? Season 1 of 'Picard' didn't really do it for me, I suppose.

message 9: by Travis (new)

Travis (travishiltz) | 131 comments Have not watched any new Trek, but my wife is getting Paramount+, so I plan to check some out.

Strange new worlds is on my list.

message 10: by Nathan, Executive Officer (new)

Nathan (navrin) | 30 comments Mod
Same here - Picard left me very frustrated. I even hated some of the characters. Seeing Pike in Discovery though, I am super excided bout Strange New Worlds. I'm also hoping that Q in Season 2 of Picard can act as a saving grace for that show, but I'm not holding my breath. I also heard they are developing a Star Fleet Academy show.

message 11: by Clint (new)

Clint Hall (clint_hall) | 10 comments Just watched S02E01 of Picard... Amazing! It's what I wanted from the show in the first place!
I heard about the Starfleet Academy show. It's supposed to be in the same vein as a CW teen show... It's Star Trek, so I will check it out, but...ugh. Fingers and toes crossed. I didn't think I'd like Lower Decks, so it's possible. But ugh. Potentially ugh.

message 12: by Lily (new)

Lily (lilysawyer) | 56 comments Hey Clint,

Have you watched Prodigy, I think that is pretty good too, I am looking forward to Strange New Worlds. I saw Picard and thought it was good. This week's ep of Discovery was pretty good, too. If they do a Starfleet Academy show I will watch that as well.
One thing I am not interested in watching is a new ST movie based on the Kelvin universe, I didn't like it so I have no intentions of watching it.

message 13: by Clint (new)

Clint Hall (clint_hall) | 10 comments Hey Lily,

I don't usually watch cartoons, but, like I said, if it has the Star Trek moniker on it...I will give it a whirl. And I think Prodigy is fantastic! I like that they are trying to hit other demographics with these new shows. Let's create more Star Trek nerds!

I totally agree with you. The Kelvin movies need to stop. '09 Star Trek was fun, but the plot was complete nonsense; Into Darkness was unwatchable and made Star Trek V seem like a masterpiece; Beyond I have no complaints with (aside from the dirtbike on a starship). And each one of those movies featured an emotional outburst from 'Spock'. That series of movies is in need of euthanasia. I was stoked for that Noah Hawley Trek movie they announced awhile back, but looks like we won't get that anymore.

message 14: by Travis (new)

Travis (travishiltz) | 131 comments Interested in Prodigy and Strange New Worlds, but lukewarm on the rest.
Q in Picard season 2 is very tempting, but I don't have much interest in season 1.

I'd stop ragging on the movies if they weren't influencing everything else.
Discovery doesn't work unless it's a prequel to the Pine-verse movies, which then drags SNW in as well.

message 15: by Clint (new)

Clint Hall (clint_hall) | 10 comments I watch Discovery, but the whole mushroom drive thing is a turn off. Especially since it happens pre-Kirk. I also don't think Burnham is a good Captain. She's awfully emotional for someone who grew up on Vulcan. Sure gives me a lot more respect for Janeway.

message 16: by Travis (new)

Travis (travishiltz) | 131 comments Clint wrote: "I watch Discovery, but the whole mushroom drive thing is a turn off. Especially since it happens pre-Kirk. I also don't think Burnham is a good Captain. She's awfully emotional for someone who grew..."

Discovery suffers from prequel syndrome: We are told it's a prequel, but it looks nothing like the thing it's supposed to be a prequel to and keeps doing things that don't fit in the history it claims to be part of.

Enterprise had a minor case of this, as it spends most of its run being a prequel to TNG, and only occasionally remembering TOS.

message 17: by Clint (new)

Clint Hall (clint_hall) | 10 comments You know what prequel I want to see? A show that happens in between Star Trek VI and the first season of TNG. You have to imagine something interesting happened within those 70 years. A prequel show ten years before Kirk never made sense to me. And they've since rectified it by going to the 32nd century, so it must not have made sense to the writing staff either.

Akiva Goldsman wants to do an anthology series where no time period is off limits. That would be cool, too. One Sulu episode one week, maybe an Archer one the next.

message 18: by Travis (new)

Travis (travishiltz) | 131 comments Clint wrote: "You know what prequel I want to see? A show that happens in between Star Trek VI and the first season of TNG. You have to imagine something interesting happened within those 70 years. A prequel sho..."

There's so much stuff you can do with Trek, and they are starting to get braver, the cartoons and 3 series, but I'd like to see them get creative.

Picard is set in the future, do more of that, so you can use the past, but aren't confined by it. Discovery seemed to resent having to actually pay attention to Trek history.

Or do side stories: Do a Firefly type freighter set in the Trek-verse, do a medical ship, an alien Captain...hell, finally give Assignment: Earth its own series!

message 19: by Clint (new)

Clint Hall (clint_hall) | 10 comments Agreed.

Back when Discovery was the new super secret Star Trek TV show, I heard a rumour they might make it a show based on the Relativity from Voyager. How cool would that have been? Every episode would be like DS9's "Trials and Tribbleations". Where's that show?

Assignment: Earth the TV show would be badass. If you haven't read "The Eugenics War" by Greg Cox, you should know that that is what it is. It's the adventures of Gary Seven, and it's good. Reads like a spy novel.

message 20: by Travis (new)

Travis (travishiltz) | 131 comments I'd love a TOS set series that actually looked like it was set in that era: all velor shirts, mini-skirts and clunky tech.
We saw a couple star bases in TOS, give us TOS Deep space 9!

I read Assignment: Eternity, which was okay and loved the comic book.

message 21: by Petertrek1 (new)

Petertrek1 | 1 comments I would like to have a Star Trek anthology show. Each story can be 1 - 3 episodes long, focusing on different periods of the timeline such the Romulan War from ENT, period between TOS and TMP, VOY after they return home, etc.

If it's not feasible or cost effective for live action, then have it animated and/or be a limited series. Prodigy and Lower Decks have shown that animation also works as a medium for Trek.

message 22: by Susan (new)

Susan Rubinstein | 16 comments The newer shows (other than Lower Decks) leave me cold. (but, we will watch them anyway). I find them too implausible (ST:D), too dark, (Picard) and there is just something missing. (I feel same about the newer movie series, although I can dismiss that by telling myself it's an alternate universe.) I still believe a great series-prequel, post, during, a different time period-can still happen, can still be a bit different, without giving up the optimism and core ideals of ST:

Burnham really annoys me, btw. And we won't buy another streaming service. Have to wait until all these series come out on DVD. We get them from the library or Netflix. Meanwhile, I have my ST: novels!

message 23: by Lily (new)

Lily (lilysawyer) | 56 comments Susan wrote: "The newer shows (other than Lower Decks) leave me cold. (but, we will watch them anyway). I find them too implausible (ST:D), too dark, (Picard) and there is just something missing. (I feel same ab..."
I agree that Discovery is not grabbing me, I am not sure about Picard as of yet. I will not watch the Kelvin movie that they said is going forward. I did not like the Kelvin universe at all.
I have TOS on DVD as as well as the animated series. I also have novels. I have Paramount plus, I am watching other things besides ST so that is why I have it.

message 24: by Travis (new)

Travis (travishiltz) | 131 comments Yeah, the reason I stopped being annoyed by new Trek, is the realization that there's so much good old stuff, that I can walk away and it's no big deal.

And now that my daughter has gotten into Trek and wants to start with the old stuff, I have an excuse to rewatch the older series.

message 25: by Susan (new)

Susan Rubinstein | 16 comments That’s great!