Mystery/Thriller Reading Friends discussion

Monthly "Reads" > Lorraine's Nov. reads

Comments Showing 1-3 of 3 (3 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Brakedrum (new)

Brakedrum | 1203 comments Cry From the Deep (nf)
by Ramsey Flynn
August 12,2000, Russian's sub, the Kursk, sunk in the Barents Sea killing 118 submariners
The book shows Russia's cover-up about the cause of the explosion, the ageing equipment, their refusal for international assistance and the mistrust of the West.
An interesting read, bought at my library's annual book sale for $1.00.

On the Road with Charles Kuralt(nf)
by Charles Kuralt
92 stories from America's small towns and the unusual people he met along the way.
A nice, light read and a good buy for a dollar.

Foreign Influence (thriller)
by Brad Thor
A new spy agency has been created within the Black Ops Budget of the Department of Defense. It reports only to a secret panel of insiders. Scot Harvath is a file operative.
A bombing occurs in Rome, then another one in Paris, in Rue Saint' Severin, which has one of the greatest concentrations of restaurants in all of Paris.
Page 139 of the hard cover edition: "French news service placed the death toll in the hudreds. Though many of the victims were tourists, local had also been killed. It was described as the French 9-11."
Read this book just before the attack on Paris. This book was published in 2010.

message 2: by Ann (new)

Ann (annrumsey) | 14966 comments Lorraine, it's an interesting list. I think I remember the Russian submarine story, the part about not accepting help. Sad! The Brad Thor book must have been eerie to read this month. I had a similar feeling with a book in November, but not with that striking a parallel.

message 3: by Melodie (new)

Melodie (melodieco) | 3641 comments I remember the Russian submarine. Terribly sad. Not a lot of books, but good quality!