Urban Fantasy discussion

BOOK RECOMMENDATIONS > Gathering recommendations for the holidays

Comments Showing 1-7 of 7 (7 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Thorsten (new)

Thorsten Weitling (thorstenweitling) | 6 comments Hello fellow readers, I am looking for something to sink my teeth into during the holidays, but I just can't seem to hit on anything that strikes my fancy (just like when I browse Netflix for the umpteenth time and still can't find anything, despite the myriad of options). Hence I thought I'd poke this anthill and see if anything good pops out.

At this moment my urges drive me to seek out books that have the following criteria:

- Male MC (and preferably not too many shifting points of view)
- Romantic subplots (and not "Me tarzan, you Jane" if you please. I like witty banter going back and forth).
- No vampires (I know I said I wanted to sink my teeth into something, but not dead flesh).
- Cleverness. Either in the MC or his immediate surroundings. "Hulk Smash!" is all well and good, but I feel like reading about people who are too clever for their own good.

I've read the Dresden-files, the Alex Verus-series, the Iron Druid, that-series-about-the-guy-who-is-blind-but-sees-things and a ton of other stuff along those lines. So if you have some oblique recommendations that skirt the more mainstream UF and might have escaped my immediate notice, I'd be happy as a pig in muck.

Cheers,
Thorsten

message 2: by Arch (new)

Arch the two i can think of will not fit all your criteria

will suggest any ways :)

Monster Hunter International (Monster Hunter International, #1) by Larry Correia
Witch Hunt (Preternatural Affairs, #1) by S.M. Reine

message 3: by Oleander (new)

Oleander | 18 comments I highly recommend Bad Blood A Vampire Thriller by J.R. Rain . Even though you said no vampires, the vampire aspect is extremely low key. It's more of a thriller. And the book reads much much better than its description.
Libriomancer (Magic Ex Libris, #1) by Jim C. Hines He's got a great pet.
I second Monster Hunter International (Monster Hunter International, #1) by Larry Correia

message 4: by Dawn (new)

Dawn (dawnv) | 367 comments As a stand alone there is Neverwhere by Neil Gaiman for a series A Kiss Before the Apocalypse (Remy Chandler, #1) by Thomas E. Sniegoski

Neither one is big on romance but they both have great plots and its witty with no vamps.

message 5: by ladymurmur (new)

ladymurmur | 73 comments I'll echo the rec for Monster Hunter International (Monster Hunter International, #1) by Larry Correia and the series. Added bonus, the ebook of MHI is free! There are technically vampires in it (along with many, many other monsters) - but they're not love interests or "just misunderstood" or sparkly. Promise. :-)

A few more, all but one are series:
The Rivers of London series - Midnight Riot (Peter Grant, #1) by Ben Aaronovitch
The Laundry Files series - The Atrocity Archives (Laundry Files, #1) by Charles Stross
Nightside series- Something from the Nightside (Nightside, #1) by Simon R. Green
Pax Arcana series - Charming (Pax Arcana, #1) by Elliott James
Connor Grey series- Unshapely Things (Connor Grey, #1) by Mark Del Franco
Sandman Slim series - Sandman Slim (Sandman Slim, #1) by Richard Kadrey
Esoterrorism From the Secret Files of the Red Room by C.T. Phipps
Odd Thomas - Odd Thomas (Odd Thomas, #1) by Dean Koontz
Bobby Dollar series - Sleeping Late on Judgement Day (Bobby Dollar, #3) by Tad Williams

message 6: by Thorsten (new)

Thorsten Weitling (thorstenweitling) | 6 comments A ton of helpful and interesting recommendations there. Thank you all - I guess I should look at that Monster Hunter-thingy. Sounds fun.

Cheers,
Thorsten

message 7: by Laura (new)

Laura The Rivers of London is great -- snark and witty banter and magic.