Mrs. Schuet's AP Literature Class of '16 discussion

The Adventures of Huckleberry Finn
Adventures of Huckleberry Finn

Comments Showing 1-8 of 8 (8 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

Jasmine Salik (jasminesalik) | 4 comments I chose this novel because of my good friend's recommendation and additionally because of the genre of the novel. Adventures of Huckleberry Finn is not only a classic novel, but a satire, a genre that I found myself enjoying recently. One novel that was also a satire that I was extremely indulged in is Animal Farm, a novel I read sophomore year. My friend who recommended me this book, a former student in AP Literature, said that a lot of the themes and motifs discussed in the novel, as well as the deeper meaning, almost always work in successfully answering the essay prompts for the AP test. Besides assuring I do well on the AP exam with regards to the outside novel essay, I have also heard of this book many times and have come to the conclusion it is a classic that I must read. Although I was a little worried before starting to read this novel since I never read The Adventures of Tom Sawyer, I am finding this read rather entertaining and the author does a relatively good job on "catching up" the reader when first starting to read the novel, as well as clarifying most confusions. I am currently on page 30 and just finished the 6th chapter. So far in the novel we are introduced to the main characters including Huckleberry Finn, the narrator of the novel, Tom Sawyer and the rest of the robbers gang Tom creates. Huck starts off narrating the novel by saying we might know him by name from a book called The Adventures of Tom Sawyer, but it does not matter if we do or not. Huck begins to say that the author, additionally the author of Adventures of Huckleberry Finn mainly told the truth but stretched it a little as well, just like a lot of the characters in the novel. Huck catches us up pretty well about him and Tom’s adventures and says that they “found the money that the robbers hid in the cave, which made us rich. We got six thousand dollars apiece - all gold.” Huck also begins to explain that a woman named Widow Douglas took him as a son and he lived with her for a while, but decided to leave because she was too decent. However when Tom Sawyer told him he was going to start a band of robbers, Huck decided to live with her again. We are introduced to Huck’s character, a peculiar one who is apparently different in his society. When asked if he would rather go to the “good place or bad place” meaning heaven or hell, Huck says hell just because that is where he’d truly rather go. Huck is not afraid of voicing his opinions and ideas, which I think will set the tone for the rest of the novel. As for the gang of robbers the boys create, they initially go by the books, too afraid to start their own original gang. I had a pretty good first impression of the novel and I love books that are narrated by one of the characters because you really get a good lense into their personality and their mind and an original insight. The tone of the novel is pretty colloquial and an easy read so far.

Jaclyn Knight | 4 comments I chose this book because my friend holly and I started calling one of our friends Huckleberry and when I saw this on our OR reading list, I had to read it. I am currently on page 8, which is the end of the first chapter, it talks about how huckleberry looks at life. Through his time with the Widow Douglas Huckleberry has shown his unusual view on life. In this he shows how he goes against all society's beliefs in a young man, in this time period.

Jaclyn Knight | 4 comments It is continuously shown in the first chapter of the novel that Huckleberry Finn has a large attachment to Tom Sawyer, why is this? How can this contribute to Huckleberry's character as seen currently?

Jasmine Salik (jasminesalik) | 4 comments Reading the first couple of chapters I've noticed that the boys in the robbers gang, specifically Tom Sawyer, always encourages the other boys to go by the books. In coming up with the gang rules, Ben Foyer's ideas were immediately rejected "Because it ain't in the books so-that's why" (12). Tom Sawyer additionally says, "Now Ben Rogers, do you want to do things regular, or don't you? - that's the idea. Don't you reckon that the people that made the books knows what's the correct thing to do? Do you reckon you can learn 'em anything?" (12). What's interesting to me is that this rebel group of boys who are creating a band of robbers are so devoted to stories and making sure they're just like the stories presented. Anything less isn't considered normal and the ideas are rejected. In contrast, in the notice in the beginning of the book, the author explicitly writes "Persons attempting to find a motive in this narative will be prosecuted; persons attempting to find a moral in it will be banished; persons attempting to find a plot in it will be shot." In the beginning of the novel, Huck also explains how some of the truth in these stories are stretched and many people do lie. The theme of storytelling, much like in the book Grendel, and stretching the truth already seems to come up quite often in the novel. The characters in the book seem to be so obsessed with fantasies and stories and want their lives to be based upon them, however another force, the author is urging the reader to never make sense of stories which I find extremely interesting.

message 5: by Jasmine (last edited Dec 09, 2015 04:38PM) (new) - rated it 3 stars

Jasmine Salik (jasminesalik) | 4 comments Jaclyn
I don't think the most significant aspect is Huckleberry Finn's attachment to Tom Sawyer, but rather his story. Right in the beginning of the novel, Huck explicitly talks about the book, The Adventures of Tom Sawyer and what happens to them and how they come to be in Adventures of Huckleberry Finn. Already from the beginning of the novel, Huck's story is derived from another character's adventures which I think is an important theme of the book, the idea of storytelling and basing one's life off of the pretermined.

message 6: by Holly (new)

Holly Hawkinson | 7 comments I am reading Tom Sawyer and so far I can tell that he is very mischievous and always getting into trouble. I was curious to know is Huckleberry Finn the same way? Or is he the opposite?

Jaclyn Knight | 4 comments Holly
I have read up until chapter 4 and so far and huckleberry has shown no signs of him hiding anything, or keeping anything a secret. He is shown a more of a "lost puppy" to me, clinging to anything or anyone that he gets close to, aka Tom. I have read though that Huckleberry is in the group of thieves, lead by Tom Sawyer. So yes, at times he does get in trouble when participating the activities of the group.

message 8: by John (new)

John | 8 comments Jaclyn wrote: "Holly
I have read up until chapter 4 and so far and huckleberry has shown no signs of him hiding anything, or keeping anything a secret. He is shown a more of a "lost puppy" to me, clinging to anyt..."

Hello, I want to know why you think Huck is a lost puppy. Yes he does follow Tom but whenever Tom has do "boring" activities, Huck usually just leaves and has fun on his own. I really feel that Huck is someone that Tom needs because Tom feels his own life is too orderly. Tom does michevious things but do you think that is only due to him feeling too restricted? Is Huck the other way? Because Huck has no rules binding him, there is no need or way for him to come off as mischevious.