The Mary Sue Books and More Club discussion

Fangirl
This topic is about Fangirl
Our TMS Reads > December Book Discussion 1: Fangirl, Chapters 1 - 9

Comments Showing 1-3 of 3 (3 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

Brittany Allyn (soyxunxperdedor) Discussion thread for Fangirl by Rainbow Rowell, Chapters 1 through 9. Discussions will probably run through the first week of January.

message 2: by Jennifer (last edited Dec 12, 2015 08:18PM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Jennifer Zampedri | 152 comments I know a lot of people have problems with the writing, but the social anxiety that Cather experiences really resonates with me. I have some pretty powerful social anxiety myself. Not to the point where I'd willfully live off peanut butter, but I have to work very hard to not come off as judgmental, rude, or stuck up because I don't feel comfortable interacting with new people and it's scary! It terrifies me to meet new people and I remember well how overwhelming the first week of college was for me.

Brie Eccles | 2 comments Jennifer wrote: "I know a lot of people have problems with the writing, but the social anxiety that Cather experiences really resonates with me. I have some pretty powerful social anxiety myself. Not to the point w..."

I agree! College was the first time I was really away from home and independent and at the time it was terrifying. Here were all these people I didn't know and they all seemed to be perfectly fine with the whole situation and then there's me who organized her computer for fun because I couldn't be social enough to sit in the common room.

Honestly I really like Rowell's writing because it feels like my own stream of consciousness or the way I talk. Choppy, blunt, full of references and tangents. Lots of live wires running around all at once.