What's the Name of That Book??? discussion

SOLVED: Adult Fiction > SOLVED. Adult fiction--collection of short fiction time trave sci-fi stories--all by one author [s]

Comments Showing 1-6 of 6 (6 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Ann aka Iftcan (new)

Ann aka Iftcan (iftcan) | 6967 comments Mod
This was a collection of short stories that I had back in the 70's, but could have been printed even earlier. The format was all short stories, but they all dealt with the same main character. The description of him was that he was terrified of animals, dirt, germs etc. but he worked for what was basically the Ministry of Time Travel, but I don't think it was called that. The ruler of Earth is an inbred imbecile, and the Ministry that the MC works for goes into the past to find things for his zoo to keep him entertained.

In one of the adventures, he goes back after a sperm whale and winds up getting Moby Dick, with Ahab still caught in a rope and being drug by Moby. In another, he goes after a horse and actually winds up with a unicorn instead. The woman he "buys" it from in the past accidentally winds up with his transportation device which looks a bit like one of the old brooms that witches are always depicted as riding on. Another time, he finds himself in an alternate world where primates never developed into humans, and the 2 primary races are lupine and vulpine decent. There was one where an ostrich is recessed back to a Rok.

I can't remember if there were more, but I would really love to find the title of this book again.

message 2: by Michele (new)

Michele | 280 comments I have no idea, but it sounds fantastic - gotta follow this thread :)

message 3: by Andy (last edited Dec 08, 2015 10:53AM) (new)

Andy Love | 2095 comments Ann aka Iftcan wrote: "This was a collection of short stories that I had back in the 70's, but could have been printed even earlier. The format was all short stories, but they all dealt with the same main character. The ..."

These are by Larry Niven - the collection is "The Flight of the Horse" The Flight of the Horse. There's a more recent collection that collects the short stories with a novel set in the same universe - this is called "Rainbow Mars" Rainbow Mars

message 4: by Ann aka Iftcan (new)

Ann aka Iftcan (iftcan) | 6967 comments Mod
That's it Andy (well, the original, Flight of the Horse collection). I'd been going batty the last few days trying to remember what it was. Don't know why I didn't think to check Niven--I went through a phase where I read everything by him I could get my hands on. In fact, I still have almost all of the books by him that I'd collected then--EXCEPT of course, for this one.

Michele, it is a good book. Some of the stories are a bit dated now, since, according to GR, the stories were written over a fairly long stretch of time. I think it said 1963 for the first one.

message 5: by Michele (new)

Michele | 280 comments Nice! I'll be adding it to my TBR mountain :)

message 6: by Andy (new)

Andy Love | 2095 comments Ann aka Iftcan wrote: "That's it Andy (well, the original, Flight of the Horse collection).

Glad to help.