The Seasonal Reading Challenge discussion

WINTER CHALLENGE 2015 > 25.12 - Pamela3265's task: Celebrating the National Park System

Comments Showing 1-18 of 18 (18 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Kristina Simon (last edited Dec 08, 2015 04:16PM) (new)

Kristina Simon (kristinasimon) | 10973 comments Mod
25.12 - Pamela3265's task: Celebrating the National Park System

The National Park Service is celebrating their 100th year in 2016. My friend Amy and I both love visiting the sites managed by the NPS and plan to visit at least one park each month during 2016 in celebration. Currently, there are 409 units in the National Park System. This task is designed some of my favorite sites that I have visited in the past.

This is a TWO book task. Choose two different options below and read a book for each option.

Required: State which options you chose when you post.

Option 1: Yellowstone National Park – This park is only 90 minutes from my home, so it is the park I visit most frequently. This park covers three states: Idaho, Montana, and Wyoming.

For this option read a book set in Idaho, Montana, or Wyoming. More than 50% of the book must take place in that state.

Option 2: USS Arizona Memorial – This site is at Pearl Harbor in Honolulu, Hawaii and marks the resting place of 1,102 of the 1,177 sailors and Marines killed on USS Arizona during the surprise attack on Pearl Harbor on 7 December 1941 and commemorates the events of that day.

For this option read a book set between 1941 – 1945, the years the U.S. was involved in World War II.

Option 3: Glacier Bay National Park – I was able to see this park while on a cruise to Alaska. We were fortunate to be there while one of the glacier was breaking off great chunks into the sea, a process called glacier calving.

For this option, read a book whose author’s initials appear in GLACIER CALVING. Letter may only be used as many times as they appear in the phrase. Middle initials may be ignored.

Option 4: Mount Rushmore – My grandmother took all of her grandchildren (11 at that time), her three daughters, and 1 son-in-law on vacation in 1982 to South Dakota. One of our most memorable activities for me was visiting Mount Rushmore.

For this option read a book whose author’s first or last name is George, Washington, Thomas, Jefferson Abraham, Lincoln, Theodore, or Roosevelt.

Option 5: Minute Man National Historic Park – This site commemorates the opening battle in the American Revolutionary War.

For this option read a book with the main page genre of "American History." The genre may be stand alone or embedded.

Option 6: The Statue of Liberty National Monument – I have only been able to visit this site briefly. Someday I hope to spend a full day exploring Ellis Island and Liberty Island.

For this option read a book from the Immigrant Experience Literature list.
Required: State which page of the list your book can be found on when you post.

message 2: by Pamela (new)

Pamela (pamela3265) | 979 comments These work.

message 3: by Pamela (new)

Pamela (pamela3265) | 979 comments These don't work.

message 4: by Kristina Simon (new)

Kristina Simon (kristinasimon) | 10973 comments Mod
This thread is now open!

message 5: by KSMary (last edited Dec 08, 2015 04:35PM) (new)

KSMary | 819 comments Would you accept The Wives of Los Alamos for Opt 2 USS Arizona Memorial? It is shelved as History>World War II on the main page genres.

For Opt 5 Minute Man National Historic Park - Flight of the Sparrow: A Novel of Early America which has History>American History as main page genre?

message 6: by Bea (new)

Bea | 4081 comments I am thinking of The Horse Whisperer for option 1. GR states it is set in United States and Montana. Does anyone know if it is more than 50% in Montana?

message 7: by Pamela (new)

Pamela (pamela3265) | 979 comments KSMary wrote: "Would you accept The Wives of Los Alamos for Opt 2 USS Arizona Memorial? It is shelved as History>World War II on the main page genres.

For Opt 5 Minute Man National Historic Park ..."

For option 2, your book needs to be set during that specific time period rather than listed as a main page genre. If more than 50% of the book is set during 1941 - 1945 then it would work.

Flight of the Sparrow: A Novel of Early America is confirmed as American History on the main page genre list.

message 9: by Pamela (new)

Pamela (pamela3265) | 979 comments Book Concierge wrote: "AM I assuming to much to think this fits Option 1
Death in Yellowstone: Accidents and Foolhardiness in the First National Park"

This is perfect! Any book set in Yellowstone automatically fits. Enjoy!

message 10: by Claire (new)

Claire (proud-mum) | 1092 comments Option 1: Montana Sky by Nora Roberts (set in Montana)

Option 4: A Brief Encounter by Catherine George (name: George)

message 11: by Pamela (new)

Pamela (pamela3265) | 979 comments Claire wrote: "Option 1: Montana Sky by Nora Roberts (set in Montana)

Option 4: A Brief Encounter by Catherine George (name: George)"

Looks great! Enjoy!

message 12: by Julia (new)

Julia (julia103) | 1785 comments Would a book work for Option 4 if it has multiple authors but only one fits the criteria?
A Call to Arms has three authors listed. The third is Thomas Pope.

message 13: by Martha (new)

Martha (marthais) For Option 1, does it have to be a novel? I found Close Range which is a collection of short stories set in Wyoming

message 14: by Pamela (new)

Pamela (pamela3265) | 979 comments Julia wrote: "Would a book work for Option 4 if it has multiple authors but only one fits the criteria?
A Call to Arms has three authors listed. The third is Thomas Pope."

That will work. Timothy Zahn is one of my favorite sci-fi authors. Enjoy!

message 15: by Pamela (new)

Pamela (pamela3265) | 979 comments Martha wrote: "For Option 1, does it have to be a novel? I found Close Range which is a collection of short stories set in Wyoming"

As long as 50% or more of the book is set in Montana, Wyoming, and/or Idaho the book will work. Enjoy!

message 16: by Martha (new)

Martha (marthais) Great, thanks!

message 17: by Lagullande (new)

Lagullande | 399 comments Would Bats of the Republic: An Illuminated Novel by Zachary Thomas Dodson work for Option 4? Not sure whether "first name" in the task description includes all given names, or not.

Many thanks.

message 18: by Pamela (new)

Pamela (pamela3265) | 979 comments Lagullande wrote: "Would Bats of the Republic: An Illuminated Novel by Zachary Thomas Dodson work for Option 4? Not sure whether "first name" in the task description includes all give..."

Sorry, the author's first or last name must match. Middle names don't count.