2016: A Dance to the Music of Time discussion

Additional Reading > TV series adaptation

Comments Showing 1-16 of 16 (16 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Renato (last edited Dec 07, 2015 04:36PM) (new)

Renato (renatomrocha) | 25 comments Well, not additional reading, but still... the Dance was adapted as a four-part TV-series by Anthony Powell and Hugh Whitemore for Channel 4 in 1997, directed by Christopher Morahan and Alvin Rakoff.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0118297/

message 2: by Sue (new)

Sue | 85 comments Renato wrote: "Well, not additional reading, but still... the Dance was adapted as a four-part TV-series by Anthony Powell and Hugh Whitemore for Channel 4 in 1997, directed by Christopher Morahan and Alvin Rakof..."

I just checked and my library system has a copy of this so I will plan to watch it some time next year.

message 3: by Ruth (new)

Ruth Mmm - that's tempting. I wonder if it would be better to watch it after reading all the books. It would make a good comparison for discussion though wouldn't it.

message 4: by Jeremy (new)

Jeremy Silverman (silvej01) | 5 comments I agree with Ruth. I try to follow this as a general policy. I this case especially I think it

message 5: by Jeremy (new)

Jeremy Silverman (silvej01) | 5 comments Oops. I seemed to have hit send prematurely. In this case there are so many characters that for many of them, the television series would be hard to follow without some prior feeling for the characters.

message 6: by Jeremy (new)

Jeremy Silverman (silvej01) | 5 comments Oops. I seemed to have hit send prematurely. In this case there are so many characters that for many of them, the television series would be hard to follow without some prior feeling for the characters.

message 7: by Nigeyb (last edited Dec 08, 2015 04:31AM) (new)

Nigeyb The Channel 4 adaptation is also available to view free (in the UK) on the Channel 4 On Demand website...

http://www.channel4.com/programmes/a-...

4 x 1 hr 45 min episodes - not sure how they condensed such a huge work into such a relatively small total running time though.

I meant to watch it over the Summer and didn't get round to it - perhaps now is the time?

message 8: by Renato (new)

Renato (renatomrocha) | 25 comments I'm gonna watch it after reading for sure. I don't have details on the episodes.. perhaps it's one for each movement, since there are four? That way, I can watch one after each movement....

message 9: by Sue (new)

Sue | 85 comments I agree...I set a reminder to look into this next summer. I really wouldn't want it to color my reading. And I can always watch it in parts.

message 10: by Ruth (new)

Ruth Sue wrote: "I agree...I set a reminder to look into this next summer. I really wouldn't want it to color my reading. And I can always watch it in parts."

Yes, we could watch the first part after we've read the first ?three books.

message 11: by Jonathan (new)

Jonathan | 106 comments I finally got round to watching the TV series of 'Dance'. Even at 4x1h45m episodes it all seemed a little rushed but it was enjoyable nonetheless. I'm not sure how anyone could have kept up with events without havng read the books beforehand.

The actor who played Widmerpool (Simon Russell Beale) was especially good though I imagined Widmerpool as being quite thin in the book—I'm not sure now if there were any descriptions of W in the book.

Has anyone else watched it since reading the books?

message 12: by Janet (new)

Janet (goodreadscomjanetj) | 29 comments Jonathan wrote: "I finally got round to watching the TV series of 'Dance'. Even at 4x1h45m episodes it all seemed a little rushed but it was enjoyable nonetheless. I'm not sure how anyone could have kept up with ev..."
Interesting that you pictured Widmerpool thin since I pictured him chubby.

message 13: by Renee (new)

Renee M | 38 comments Me, too. Chubby. But he was a runner, so I'm not sure why.

message 14: by Jonathan (new)

Jonathan | 106 comments It's quite possible that he was described as chubby but I must have forgotten it. The actor played the part excellently.

Jenkins was played by a second actor in the last film whereas many of the actors were made up to look older. I don't see why Jenkins couldn't have been by the same actor throughout. Maybe the young actor didn't want to look old. :-)

message 15: by Sue (new)

Sue | 85 comments I'm another who envisioned Widmerpool as chubby, or at least large. I'm wondering if there was some physical description early on that led me there. Also, wasn't there mention late in the story of his looking thinner after his losses. (of course I could be imagining that! :-) )

message 16: by Kirsten (new)

Kirsten  (kmcripn) Yeah not so much chubby, as large and maybe awkward, big boned. Maybe like Vincent D'Onofrio from Law & Order: Criminal Intent type.