The Way of Kings (The Stormlight Archive, #1) The Way of Kings question

good or bad
Logan Logan Dec 07, 2015 02:13PM
I read this book and loved it but recently I have heard that people really don't like it what do you think

Loved it.

I have seen readers complain that it isn't gritty enough. Not enough death and action. I have nothing to say to them.

What Sanderson is setting up and building in this book is fantastic, it is written beautifully albeit slightly longwinded at times. Can not wait for the ramainder of the series

I thought it was incredible. He could probably cut out 200 pages though and nobody would miss it but that's Brandon Sanderson for you.

I loved the Way of Kings, but yes, I've been told by some they have a hard time getting into it. Words of Radiance, though, makes up for any and every slow moment there might have been. Sanderson is an amazing storyteller.

I struggled to get into this book at the start but isn't that always the way when the first book of a new series?

Sanderson had to spend time a lot of time world building and setting the scene but it was totally worth it in the end. Roshar is probably the most detailed and realistic fantasy world you'll encounter.

You could compare it to Westeros in A Game of Thrones but while it takes a while adjusting to the strange geography of Roshar and the huge part the Highstorms play in the series, I think the world is so much more fascinating.

It really sets you up for Words of Radiance, a book you'll probably prefer waaaaayy more than Way of Kings. I certainly did because we were straight bang into the action.

If you find yourself struggling just keep pushing forward, it will be worth it in the end. It's a really incredible series so far.

I cheated and listened to this on audio. Twice. I love this story. I love the way it was written. I love the way the magic system is gradually learned. I even enjoy the way he describes what people are wearing. The characters have growth. I prefer easy to read books. And since I technically haven't read these books, I really enjoy the way the story is told.

R. Phoenix The audiobook is extremely well done. I love the duo narrating the Stormlight Archive books. I think listening still counts as reading! He's got this ...more
Jan 25, 2016 06:32PM
Russell I think Kramer does a much better job than Reading. I'm glad Kramer has read most of the Cosmere novels. There's something about Readings voice that m ...more
Feb 11, 2016 02:32PM

Like I said I think it's a mixed bag.

Logan, does it really matter to you so much what other people think? Is it going to make you stop liking it?

I read this I find it be a mixed bag. On one hand this is some of the best writing and world building ever to come from Sanderson, and the biggest window we've gotten so far into Cosmere. On the other hand, the book is just too long and a quarter of it is completely needed. Still it should be up to the reader to decide whether or not this is good.

GREEEEEEAT. On some tony the tiger shit.