Fantasy and Vampire Book Club discussion

General Chit Chat > What are you reading?

Comments Showing 1-50 of 249 (249 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1 3 4 5

message 1: by Amyiw, Challenges Moderator (new)

Amyiw | 1083 comments Mod
Let's us know what you are reading now, or read, and how's it going. Also if you see something you read, let's us know what you thought. Love this on some other groups, let's see what our group reads and likes.

message 2: by Lindsey (new)

Lindsey (ucdlindsey) Currently reading Green-Eyed Demon (Sabina Kane, #3) by Jaye Wells , hoping to complete this series by next month. Also just finished Dark Descendant (Nikki Glass, #1) by Jenna Black and Urban Shaman (Walker Papers, #1) by C.E. Murphy ; I enjoyed both and found them enjoyable solid urban fantasy, good first efforts for both series.

message 3: by Amyiw, Challenges Moderator (new)

I've read none of those but have them all on my TBR. Urban Shaman is more to the top than any of the others.

Just started Awaken Me Darkly (Alien Huntress, #1) by Gena Showalter . I'm crossing my fingers as she is a real hit or miss for me on other series than Lords of the Underworld (which is one I really enjoy and am current with)

message 4: by Amyiw, Challenges Moderator (last edited Dec 13, 2015 12:01PM) (new)

Awaken Me Darkly unfortunately was a miss for me.

I'm reading the Cassandra Kresnov series by Joel Shepherd, starting with Crossover (Cassandra Kresnov, #1) by Joel Shepherd , it is steampunk.

I loved the first, and really liked the second, Breakaway, though thought it was a bit too wordy on the religious/political issues and had a drawn out battle scene in the end that I would have appreciated about 1/4 of the size. The story and characters made up for it though.

Now I'm reading the last in the original trilogy
Killswitch (Cassandra Kresnov, #3) by Joel Shepherd and
Monster Hunter International (Monster Hunter International, #1) by Larry Correia so far this is quirky fun, and a bit on the gun crazy scary.

message 5: by Norma, BOM & Co Moderator (new)

Norma Mills | 653 comments Mod
Right now I am audiobooking a re-read, Wicked Appetite (Lizzy & Diesel, #1) by Janet Evanovich , and reading Down the Wormhole (Wormhole #1) by Ana Franco

message 6: by Amyiw, Challenges Moderator (last edited Dec 21, 2015 09:39PM) (new)

I started the Dark Elf trilogy, Homeland (Forgotten Realms The Dark Elf Trilogy, #1; Legend of Drizzt, #1) by R.A. Salvatore , which started for me, way slowly but then picks up between 1/3 and 1/2 because I finally knew who the playing characters and world functions were. I only gave it 3 stars for its slow beginning but like the conclusion so much that I ran to the next book right away. Really liked that one as I didn't stop and read right through, Exile (Forgotten Realms The Dark Elf Trilogy, #2; Legend of Drizzt, #2) by R.A. Salvatore , and am currently entranced with the third book, Sojourn (Forgotten Realms Dark Elf Trilogy, #3; Legend of Drizzt, #3) by R.A. Salvatore . I'm reading this as a buddy read here...
https://www.goodreads.com/topic/show/...

I finished Killswitch above and loved it, went on to book 2 and three but two wasn't quite as good as one and the last, Killswitch (Cassandra Kresnov, #3) by Joel Shepherd , was good but I didn't like how it ended. https://www.goodreads.com/review/show...

Monster Hunter International didn't impress in the end as it dragged to the end that was long in coming and expected.
https://www.goodreads.com/review/show...

So in between, I finally got back to Elder Races and finished.
Shadow's End (Elder Races, #9) by Thea Harrison & Dragos Goes to Washington (Elder Races, #8.5) by Thea Harrison and loved them both. After really disliking, 1 starring, the last book, Midnight's Kiss (Elder Races, #8) by Thea Harrison I was very glad.

message 7: by Tracy (new)

Tracy Ehlers | 28 comments Currently reading Paradox- Equilibrium bk 4 in the Paradox series by Patti Roberts
https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/1...
Loving the series

message 8: by Tracy (new)

Tracy Ehlers | 28 comments Currently reading Paradox- Equilibrium bk 4 in the Paradox series by Patti Roberts
Loving the series

message 9: by Amyiw, Challenges Moderator (new)

Tracy wrote: "Currently reading Paradox- Equilibrium bk 4 in the Paradox series by Patti Roberts
Loving the series"

First book is free on Amazon so will consider it. I just don't usually do YA paranormal. Looks interesting though.

message 10: by Lindsey (new)

Lindsey (ucdlindsey) Just finished Clean Sweep (Innkeeper Chronicles, #1) by Ilona Andrews , another enjoyable read by these authors, will be reading the second one soon. :)

message 11: by Amyiw, Challenges Moderator (new)

Lindsey wrote: "Just finished Clean Sweep (Innkeeper Chronicles, #1) by Ilona Andrews, another enjoyable read by these authors, will be reading the second one soon. :)"

I really liked that one too. So far I've liked pretty much all their series.

Reading Full Moon Rising (Riley Jenson Guardian #1) by Keri Arthur and so far so good. I've had this on my TBR forever.

message 12: by A.L. (new)

A.L. Butcher (alb2012) | 26 comments Just finished Hogfather. It's re-read for me and very seasonal:)

message 13: by Adele, Moderator (new)

Adele (turtil) | 1767 comments Mod
I'm reading Scarlet Scarlet (The Lunar Chronicles, #2) by Marissa Meyer as well as thinking of getting back into the Fever series, which i abandoned due to my mental health issues.
its all good for now.A friend of mine pointed out, this is the perfect time to get back into some books i avoided.
so Fever Series Starting off with Darkfever (Fever, #1) by Karen Marie Moning and then i'll go from there.

message 14: by Amyiw, Challenges Moderator (new)

A.L. wrote: "Just finished Hogfather. It's re-read for me and very seasonal:)"
I never heard of that one of the Discworld. I keep meaning to start the series and have a number of them on my shelf... not that one though. Christmas time.

Just finished Hunt the Moon (Cassandra Palmer, #5) by Karen Chance and was a great addition to the series.

Really liked Full Moon Rising (Riley Jenson Guardian #1) by Keri Arthur and definitely want to continue the series.

message 15: by Amyiw, Challenges Moderator (new)

Reading Cress (The Lunar Chronicles, #3) by Marissa Meyer and 1/2 way done. There was one scene in the beginning (100 pages in, it is 550 page book) that was predictable and not likely that all the people reacted like that. Still it puts the characters all in great situations and from there takes off from there.

I finished the 2 books above and both were really good. Hunt the Moon was fun but left it hanging quite a bit and had too long, confusing battle scenes.

Full Moon was surprising as I went in not expecting to like it. Really like it.

message 16: by Crystal (new)

Crystal Lee | 5 comments I'm reading my book!
The Rise of the Relique

"It's not the point of knowing someone; it's the point of learning from them."
"He scoops down and picks up the girl, who has a single tear in her eye. Just that alone breaks his heart for a number of reasons, and the first one stabs him in the chest. He is an evil man indeed. Her tear is from pain, and yet all he can think of is jealousy. His tears will be of blood. Her tears are from the soul. Her tears are real."
"He wonders if he is taking in this information differently than her. She just sits with a blank stare while obviously eternally fighting with possibilities. His brain probably functions completely different than hers. After all, she is a human. They obviously don't know nearly the things his kind does. That must be a pro of being able to live for centuries.
How disgusting. He puts his head down in shame. His sister is human, but that is not a flaw. He is the flaw. He is the one with a brain that functions differently. Hers would be the normal one. He is grotesque. He is changing and he knows it."
The Rise of the Relique
-Crystal Lee

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=WryZZWn...

message 17: by Adele, Moderator (new)

i have commented on a previous comment you have left in another topic. its fine to comment that you are reading your own book. but the added promo was unnecessary. we have provided places in this group for authors to promote their work. please use these areas only. if you read my comment in the other topic, i have given you a first warning.

message 18: by Lindsey (new)

Lindsey (ucdlindsey) Currently working on Silver-Tongued Devil (Sabina Kane, #4) by Jaye Wells

message 19: by Sana (new)

Sana Zameer (sanazameer) Started The Five Deaths of Roxanne Love (Beyond, #1) by Erin Quinn and halfway through Insomnia by Stephen King

message 20: by Amyiw, Challenges Moderator (new)

Finished Fury of Fire (Dragonfury, #1) by Coreene Callahan has some similarities to BDB but dragon style. Good start, will hold off on the series being a yea until the next book.

Started Grave Mercy (His Fair Assassin, #1) by Robin LaFevers & Sweep in Peace (Innkeeper Chronicles #2) by Ilona Andrews .

Grave Mercy is a YA/NA so we will see how that goes.

message 21: by Amyiw, Challenges Moderator (last edited Jan 11, 2016 01:18PM) (new)

Lindsey wrote: "Currently working on Silver-Tongued Devil (Sabina Kane, #4) by Jaye Wells"

I really, really like Prospero's War, Dirty Magic (Prospero's War, #1) by Jaye Wells of Jaye Wells. People say that the two series are very different though. Have you read Dirty Magic?

Sana wrote: "Started The Five Deaths of Roxanne Love (Beyond, #1) by Erin Quinn and halfway through Insomnia by Stephen King"

I can't do Stephen King, or at least 15 years ago I decided I cannot. He scares the heebee jeebees out of me. Let's me know how the Erin Quinn novel goes, it looks good and I have one friend that gave it 5 stars.

message 22: by Sana (new)

Sana Zameer (sanazameer) Amyiw wrote: "Lindsey wrote: "Currently working on Silver-Tongued Devil (Sabina Kane, #4) by Jaye Wells"

I really, really like Prospero's War, Dirty Magic (Prospero's War, #1) by Jaye Wells of Jaye Wells. People say that the two series..."

Lol..... its good to be scared out of your skin once in a while. Please do try Stephen King. You are missing all the madness.

message 23: by Lindsey (new)

Lindsey (ucdlindsey) Amyiw wrote: "Lindsey wrote: "Currently working on Silver-Tongued Devil (Sabina Kane, #4) by Jaye Wells"

I really, really like Prospero's War of Jaye Wells. People say that the two series are very different though. Have you read Dirty Magic?
..."

I haven't read Dirty Magic, though it's on my future list to check out since I do enjoy the Sabina Kane series.

message 24: by Aeryn (new)

Aeryn (booksyarntea) | 7 comments I don't know if you would call it a bad habit or simply a product of my ADD, but I have this tendency to read a whole bunch of books at once. Currently, I have 10 on my list:

The Oversight (Oversight Trilogy, #1) by Charlie Fletcher Heartless (Parasol Protectorate, #4) by Gail Carriger The Secret History of the Pink Carnation (Pink Carnation, #1) by Lauren Willig The Edinburgh Dead by Brian Ruckley Fool Moon (The Dresden Files, #2) by Jim Butcher Asylum (Asylum, #1) by Madeleine Roux Abraham Lincoln Vampire Hunter by Seth Grahame-Smith Day Shift (Midnight, Texas, #2) by Charlaine Harris Kushiel's Dart (Phèdre's Trilogy, #1) by Jacqueline Carey Grave Memory (Alex Craft, #3) by Kalayna Price

The last on the list is a re-read to prepare for a new release by Kalayna Price. I am challenging myself to read 12 books this year and started making a list to help me reach that goal, but time will only tell, right? XD

message 25: by Amyiw, Challenges Moderator (new)

Erin wrote: "I don't know if you would call it a bad habit or simply a product of my ADD, but I have this tendency to read a whole bunch of books at once. Currently, I have 10 on my list:

[bookcover:The Oversi..."

So I totally understand. I always have a number started and a few that are serious. Some I post, some I don't, then I come here and have to post and review on the same day.

Right now I have 6 in my currently reading 1 almost done, one that I'm reading little by little, and 2 that are started, then I have 3 on my reader that are well started but not posted. It depends on which catches my attention to which will get finished first. Or which is pushed by friends. ;-)

message 26: by Amyiw, Challenges Moderator (last edited Jan 12, 2016 12:24PM) (new)

OH, started re-reading Hunting Ground (Alpha & Omega, #2) by Patricia Briggs , our Book of the Month. and Sweep in Peace (Innkeeper Chronicles #2) by Ilona Andrews which is a new read, also a BOM on another group. I love Ilona. I love Briggs too.

message 27: by Aeryn (new)

Aeryn (booksyarntea) | 7 comments Right now, I am concentrating mostly on the Kalayna Price book for next month but I may end up adding Maplecroft as I'm really excited to read that one, too. XD #bookproblems

message 28: by Amyiw, Challenges Moderator (last edited Jan 12, 2016 03:59PM) (new)

I've been recommended the Alex Craft series a couple of time now and probably will try it sometime this year. Still have to catch up in a bunch of other series.

message 29: by Aeryn (new)

Aeryn (booksyarntea) | 7 comments Amyiw wrote: "I've been recommended the Alex Craft series a couple of time now and probably will try it sometime this year. Still have to catch up in a bunch of other series."

It's a fairly good series so I'd like to third those rec's. XP

message 30: by Adele, Moderator (last edited Jan 13, 2016 12:02AM) (new)

i have read the first alex craft. Grave Witch (Alex Craft, #1) by Kalayna Price it was awesome. i even reviewed it!
i'm reading the bom book Hunting Ground (Alpha & Omega, #2) by Patricia Briggs now. i'll probably read my favourite viking series again. i miss it. Odinn's Child (Viking, #1) by Tim Severin by Tim Severin is the first one.

message 31: by Norma, BOM & Co Moderator (new)

Norma Mills | 653 comments Mod
Erin wrote: "I don't know if you would call it a bad habit or simply a product of my ADD, but I have this tendency to read a whole bunch of books at once. Currently, I have 10 on my list:"

I traditionally do 1 reading book and 1 audiobook. Currently I am reading Illicit by Madeline Pryce and listening to After Alice by Gregory Maguire .

I just finished Down the Wormhole (Wormhole #1) by Ana Franco in Kindle and finished listening to The Daylight Gate by Jeanette Winterson

message 32: by Amyiw, Challenges Moderator (new)

Wow, I haven't heard of 3 of 4 of those. Only the Greogry Maguire have I.

message 33: by Jeana (new)

Jeana Budnick | 90 comments I'm currently working on the last book of the Collegium Chronicles, Bastion, by Mercedes Lackey. It's part of the much larger Heralds of Valdemar series.
I'll be glad to get it finished and move on to something else. Not that I don't like it, it's just not really what I'm in the mood for right now.

message 34: by Klea (last edited Jan 17, 2016 02:48AM) (new)

Klea (klea88) | 2 comments i finshed reading "Unhallowed Shadows" by Stefanos Kottas. Unhallowed Shadows (Chronicles of Archytas #1) by Stefanos Kottas A dark fantasy kind of book. Reeeally good and with great plot twists. Great and interesting characters for which you want to know more more. A really good begining for a young author. defenately looking forward for the second one.

message 35: by Amyiw, Challenges Moderator (last edited Jan 22, 2016 05:43PM) (new)

I've started Winter (The Lunar Chronicles, #4) by Marissa Meyer as my cold book for the January mini challenge. Last book I need for the challenge and the last in the series though I still have a bunch of the novellas to read.

Edit- Ended up liking it but not greatly or as much as the first 3. It was just a little too long and drawn out compared to them, with a lot more inner dialog and angst (830 pages!). Still the over all story once it really got going at least 1/3 into it, was pretty good.

message 36: by Jeana (new)

Jeana Budnick | 90 comments I finished the Collegium chronicles and am now reading Dark Descendant by Jenna Black. So far I've read 5 chapters and i'm enjoying it quite a bit!

message 37: by Lindsey (new)

Lindsey (ucdlindsey) Jeana wrote: "I finished the Collegium chronicles and am now reading Dark Descendant by Jenna Black. So far I've read 5 chapters and i'm enjoying it quite a bit!"

I enjoyed Dark Descendant as well.

I just finished up Silver-Tongued Devil (Sabina Kane, #4) by Jaye Wells and am starting Blue-Blooded Vamp (Sabina Kane, #5) by Jaye Wells

message 38: by Amyiw, Challenges Moderator (new)

Ok, reading Crimes Against Magic (Hellequin Chronicles, #1) by Steve McHugh and actually really liking it. The guy is not what you would call good and definitely not boyfriend material. No romance here, sex yes, multiple partner, no romance. But, the story /stories is pretty good. It has two running stories, one in historic France with him and one in modern day London. He doesn't remember more than the last 15 years so we are getting his back ground. He is a killer and kills without remorse. Now without this knowledge, he is getting a feeling that maybe before his memory lapse, he wasn't the nice thief /burglar that he is now. I'm enjoying it.

message 39: by Amyiw, Challenges Moderator (new)

Erin wrote: "Right now, I am concentrating mostly on the Kalayna Price book for next month but I may end up adding Maplecroft as I'm really excited to read that one, too. XD #bookproblems"

I've heard that the Alex Craft series is pretty good too. I've put it on my TBR.

message 40: by Aeryn (last edited Jan 23, 2016 09:22AM) (new)

Aeryn (booksyarntea) | 7 comments Amyiw wrote: "
I've heard that the Alex Craft series is pretty good too. I've put it on my TBR."

I've found it to be a good replacement for a different series that I ended up being disappointed with (not only with the direction, but the general attitude of the author). I can't wait for February to get here so I can get the next book--Been waiting a while for it to come out!

message 41: by Lindsey (new)

Lindsey (ucdlindsey) I love the Alex Craft series too, will definitely be reading Grave Visions when it's out in a few weeks, I pre-ordered. :)

message 42: by Jeana (new)

Jeana Budnick | 90 comments I started reading A Game of Thrones It's not UF but I do like fantasy books too. Though I'm having trouble really getting into this one.

message 43: by Adele, Moderator (last edited Jan 27, 2016 08:00PM) (new)

Jeana wrote: "I started reading A Game of Thrones It's not UF but I do like fantasy books too. Though I'm having trouble really getting into this one."
i have heard that you either like the tv series or the books. having never read or watched it (well not all of it anyway) i wouldn't know.

message 44: by Lindsey (new)

Lindsey (ucdlindsey) I've read the first Game of Thrones book and watched the first season of the show, and I like both actually. The first season of the show is very true to the book, though I've heard they diverge more later.

message 45: by Amyiw, Challenges Moderator (new)

I'm re-reading Shattered (The Iron Druid Chronicles, #7) by Kevin Hearne to remember events for Staked (The Iron Druid Chronicles, #8) by Kevin Hearne which I preordered. I'm a little behind.

message 46: by Amyiw, Challenges Moderator (new)

Re-read a few of the Cyborg Seduction of Laurann Dohner. Never had re-read them before but I think they might be better as a re-read just because they are quicker than her New Species. Still didn't even try the first as I didn't particularly like it.

Now on to
Manners & Mutiny & Kiss of Crimson BOM

message 47: by Lindsey (new)

Lindsey (ucdlindsey) Just finished A Darker Shade of Magic (A Darker Shade of Magic, #1) by V.E. Schwab which I really liked, now reading Deadtown (Deadtown, #1) by Nancy Holzner .

message 48: by Amyiw, Challenges Moderator (new)

Finished Manners & Mutiny (Finishing School, #4) by Gail Carriger , one of the few YA I really liked. She wrapped it up pretty nicely.

Still reading Kiss of Crimson (Midnight Breed, #2) by Lara Adrian and am enjoying it, and listening to Tempest Rising (Jane True, #1) by Nicole Peeler , really good so far.

message 49: by Adele, Moderator (new)

ok i am reading the BOM book Kiss of Crimson (Midnight Breed, #2) by Lara Adrian
this year is my year of re reading. so i will be re reading a lot of books...in order to do reviews for them mainly. but if i find time this year, i might read a new book or two. So fingers crossed i have time!!!
i'm currently going through the Alpha and Omega Series, and i'll be attacking the Mercy Thompson series after that. Just Finished Fair Game (Alpha & Omega, #3) by Patricia Briggs and will be putting up my review soon, I'll be reading the next one hopefully tonight Dead Heat (Alpha & Omega, #4) by Patricia Briggs .

message 50: by Lindsey (new)

Lindsey (ucdlindsey) Finished Deadtown (Deadtown, #1) by Nancy Holzner which was a lot of fun. Currently reading Grave Visions (Alex Craft, #4) by Kalayna Price , I still really like this series.

« previous 1 3 4 5