Mrs. Schuet's AP Literature Class of '16 discussion

"The Age of Innocence" by Edith Wharton

Comments Showing 1-3 of 3 (3 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Priyanka (new)

Priyanka Kulkarni | 4 comments I chose this book because it shows a contrast between society now and society in the 1800s. It gives the perspective of life on each character, making it interesting to learn how life was like back then.

This book is about societal problems within New York in the 1800s. Newland Archer does not like how society runs, but follows it anyway to be accepted by people. There are constant parties and balls with characters judging other characters. Ellen Olenska is widely judged because she has divorced her husband, which was not very acceptable during that time.

message 2: by Allegra (new)

Allegra Koch | 5 comments What do you think the author is trying to say about conforming to societal norms? Do you think she is shaming those who conform or simply commenting on society at the time?

message 3: by Priyanka (new)

Priyanka Kulkarni | 4 comments I don't think she is trying to shame people for conforming, but rather showing how people might have felt trapped with such a rigid society. The people had to care about every move they made, so they would not judged. I think she is bringing attention to how people are expected to live a certain way, when rather they should be living the way they want to.