Around the Year in 52 Books discussion

2016 Plans > I will give this a shot!

Comments Showing 1-6 of 6 (6 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Kristi (last edited Dec 07, 2015 12:03PM) (new)

Kristi (kristia) | 18 comments 1. A book you meant to read in 2015, but didn't - One Vote: Make Your Vote Heard
2. A book set in a different continent Born Free: A Lioness of Two Worlds
3. A book from the Goodreads Choice Awards 2015 Why Not Me?
4. A book by an author you discovered in 2015 Summer
5. A book with a title beginning with the 1st letter of your name The Kite Runner
6. The highest rated on your TBR All the Light We Cannot See
7. A book about books The Book Thief
8. A classic book with less than 200 pages A Christmas Carol or Night
9. A book that was mentioned in another book Ex Libris: Confessions of a Common Reader
10. A book by an author you feel you should have read by now Self-Reliance and Other Essays
11. A book from the Rory Gilmore challenge Beloved
12. A childhood classic The Prince and the Pauper
13. Reader’s Choice
14. A book with one of the five W’s -or H in the title (Who/What/Where/When/Why/How) Why Didn't They Ask Evans?
15. A book set in the past (more than 100 years ago)Little House on the Prairie
16. A book from the top 100 mystery novels Tales of Mystery and Imagination
17. A book with a beautiful cover Windows on the World: Fifty Writers, Fifty Views
18. A book on a summer/beach reading list In the Unlikely Event
19. A non-fiction book Guns, Germs, and Steel: The Fates of Human Societies
20. A book with a first name in the title Shoeless Joe
21. A book from the Goodreads Recommendations page Live Original: How the Duck Commander Teen Keeps It Real and Stays True to Her Values or Wildflower

22. The first book in a new to you series Delirium or Oryx and Crake
23. The next book in a series you are reading Pandemonium or The Year of the Flood
24. A "between the numbers" book of a series (0.5, 1,5, 2.5, etc.) Hana or Free Four: Tobias Tells the Divergent Knife-Throwing Scene
25. A book whose main character is in a profession that interests you Kitchens of the Great Midwest
26. A book everyone is talking about The Heart Goes Last
27. A book with a beautiful title (in your own opinion) Their Eyes Were Watching God
28. A biography, autobiography, or memoir I Am Malala: The Girl Who Stood Up for Education and Was Shot by the Taliban
29. A book by an author who writes under more than one name The Cuckoo's Calling
30. A fairytale from a culture other than your own (WILDCARD!!)
31. A work of young adult fiction Paper Towns
32. A historical fiction book The Book Thief
33. The 16th book on your TBR A Woman Called:Piecing Together the Ministry Puzzle
34. A book about mental illness Man's Search for Meaning
35. An award winning book All the Light We Cannot See
36. An identity book - a book about a different culture, religion or sexual orientation They Stood Alone!: 25 Men and Women Who Made a Difference
37. A book that you've seen the movie of but haven't read The Notebook
38. A book about an anti hero The Great Gatsby
39. A previous suggestion that did not make it into the list (A play) The Importance of Being Earnest
40. A novella from your favorite genre Free Four: Tobias Tells the Divergent Knife-Throwing Scene
41. A book about a major world event (fiction or non-fiction) The Diary of a Young Girl
42. A top 100 fantasy novel The Mists of Avalon
43. A book about a thing that goes bump in the night The Killer Inside Me
44. A book you're embarrassed to read in public Confessions of a Shopaholic
45. A book related to a hobby or passion you have A Street Cat Named Bob: How One Man and His Cat Found Hope on the Streets
46. A crime story A Stolen Life
47. A book with a type of food/drink in the title Like Water for Chocolate
48. A dystopia Allegiant
49. A book with a great opening line Aristotle and Dante Discover the Secrets of the Universe
50. A book originally written in a language other than English Aristotle and Dante Discover the Secrets of the Universe
51. A short story from a well-known author Nine Stories
52. A book published in 2016

message 2: by Angela (new)

Angela | 95 comments We have a few of the same books on our lists: Kite Runner, All the Light We Cannot See, Great Gatsby, Four. I'm looking forward to having someone to discuss the books I read with!

My father was colleagues/good friends with Viktor Frankl (Man's Search For Meaning). I will be interested to hear what you think of it.

message 3: by Nicole (new)

Nicole I plan on reading the Kite Runner too! It's been on my TBR list for a while (the first book I added to my shelf when I joined Good Reads!), so I'm excited to read it this year. I look forward to hearing your opinion of it. :)

message 4: by Kristi (new)

Kristi (kristia) | 18 comments Angela - All those books are supposed to be really good. I did read Great Gatsby in high school, but looking forward to reading it with fresh (and more mature) eyes. I bet a friendship with Viktor Frankl would be very interesting

Nicole - I have owned Kite Runner since it came out, just now getting around to it!

message 5: by Jody (new)

Jody (jodybell) | 3489 comments I really didn't like The Great Gatsby when I read it at school, but I've decided to re-read it again next year to see if I appreciate it more now that I'm a bitter old hag rather than a teenager. Here's hoping! :)

message 6: by Kristi (new)

Kristi (kristia) | 18 comments Jody - how funny. I think it was actually one of the few that I did like! I'm looking forward to discussing it with you