Beta Reader Group discussion

Writing Advice & Discussion > Ethical Question

Comments Showing 1-11 of 11 (11 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Laura (new)

Laura If I beta someone's work is it ethical for me to then review it and post a review? Thank you!

message 2: by Barbara (new)

Barbara Tsipouras | 103 comments I think it is ethical. It is still the autor's work ad I don't believe that they everything just because of one beta-reader. So, why not?
I've done it.

message 3: by Barbara (new)

Barbara Tarn (barbaragtarn) You might read a "rough" version as beta. But if the author gifts you with the final version, I think you can reread it and post a review...
One of my editors used to "disclaim" she edited the book, but still posted her review...

message 4: by Dawn (new)

Dawn (dawntice) I like that question. There are some good enough that I would love to review myself. I have not asked the question but have wondered almost the same thing.

message 5: by Laura (new)

Laura Barbara wrote: "I think it is ethical. It is still the autor's work ad I don't believe that they everything just because of one beta-reader. So, why not?
I've done it."

Hi Barbara - thanks!

message 6: by Laura (new)

Laura Barbara wrote: "You might read a "rough" version as beta. But if the author gifts you with the final version, I think you can reread it and post a review...
One of my editors used to "disclaim" she edited the boo..."

Hi Barbara! Thanks! I wondered if I needed to (or if it was encouraged) to disclaim if I had edited. Guess if it comes down to it, I'll disclaim.

message 7: by Laura (new)

Laura Dawn wrote: "I like that question. There are some good enough that I would love to review myself. I have not asked the question but have wondered almost the same thing."

Hi Dawn! I'm just glad I found a place where I could ask the question and get a quick response.

message 8: by G.G. (new)

G.G. (ggatcheson) I don't see why it wouldn't be. They don't force you to. You do it because you love the story. So why couldn't you leave a review?

message 9: by Bonnie (last edited Dec 12, 2015 05:51AM) (new)

Bonnie Pal | 4 comments I think the most ethical course of action would simply be to ask them their permission to publish a review before you do the beta-reading. Then you would avoid any potential fall-out… Some authors get a bit precious about these kind of things, but personally I wouldn't mind at all :)

message 10: by Barbara (new)

Barbara Tsipouras | 103 comments I wouldn't write a negative review in this case, but I don't see a reason why I shouldn't write a positive one.

message 11: by Liz (new)

Liz Meldon (liz_meldon) | 23 comments ^^^ this. I'm always happy to review something I beta'd for, but I'd probably put a disclaimer that you were a part of the writing process in some way but that your review is from the perspective of a reader and not partial to the author.