Words of Radiance (The Stormlight Archive, #2) Words of Radiance discussion

On to a better topic---Books!

Comments Showing 1-36 of 36 (36 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

Emily After reading all your inane, misinformed comments from the previous thread, I just have something to say:
YOU DON'T KEEP SHARDBLADES IN A SATCHEL!!!
Good god, man.

I'm sorry, I had to get that out. I know other people mentioned it a couple of times in their replies to this dude, but that (along with everything else he was saying) was driving me nuts.

I guess I let a Troll get under my skin.

Logan its all good I completely agree

message 3: by Vander (new)

Vander *groans* *rubs forehead*

Please don't let this troll get started again. While I know it was a frustrating thing, know that Andrew's second take on the topic got instantly frozen. You do not have to pay attention to people like that; just forget them.

message 4: by Vander (new)

Vander Don't try to insult me, Andrew. It doesn't work.

Meanwhile, I have a headache now. I, in fact, didn't report the topic. Rest your mind on that. Also, you say "frozen to the likes of me." Which, of course, explains why NOBODY has commented.

An admin, or some such, is on to you. Deal with it.

Calling me a monkey? I'm honored. I never thought you'd admit someone had higher intelligence than you.

Also, if you reported this topic... I'd like to see how seriously they'd take you.

You REALLY shouldn't be talking about "a support group from their prep school of stupidity, trolling out gibberish and insults." It's called hypocrisy.

In case you didn't notice, I DID say to stop this topic. Note that I won't care what you say after this; I do get frustrated, but even as I write this I know that this the last I will speak to you about this topic or any such. If you grow up, do speak with me.

I'm a cry baby? Man, you're really up there with the compliments today. First I was a monkey, a being of intelligence far surpassing yours, and now I've become a human, something even better. That... that makes me so happy, man!

"Groans rubs". Are you trying to mimic me? Really? Also, how does spilled milk constitute an underwear change? I mean, it would make sense if the milk fell ON the baby, but in any case saying that I soiled myself would be both more insulting and sensible.

Daniel Clouser Andrew, how is anything you say "any part of this Bookreader [sic] community?" Troll.

Emily On a brighter note: Sanderson says hopefully Oathbringer will be released in 2017? We all wish it was sooner, but I'm sure it will be awesome!!

Daniel Clouser Yeah, hopefully early in the year. He had been pushing for the end of 2016, but the first draft is only 34% done right now. There's just no way a book that long can be finished and edited in that amount of time, especially with all of the artwork that will need to be done (and probably can't even be started until there's at least a first draft to work with).

message 8: by Vander (new)

Vander Damn. 2017? ... I'm going to die. Time to get into Mistborn, then.

Hypatia Vander, you lucky fellow...

You are able to dive into the Cosmere with Mistborn (and perhaps even Elantris and Warbreaker) to ease the pain of waiting for SA 3.
Whereas we poor addicted can only hope for BoM, TlM and White Sands - I don't think we should complain to much....

Emily Vander wrote: "Damn. 2017? ... I'm going to die. Time to get into Mistborn, then."

Yes, I've just started Shadows of Self, so we'll see how well that eases the pain of waiting for SA 3...

Daniel Clouser TIM? I can't figure out what that stands for.

Hypatia It should have been an "L", became an "l" - in other words : The Lost Metal.
And with "Calamity" and the last Alcatraz-book I'm nearly sure to survive until 2017.

Daniel Clouser Oooooh! I don't think The Lost Metal is going to be out before Oathbringer, I'm afraid. From a 12/4 blog post on brandonsanderson.com: "I don’t have anything else I have to do, other than the revisions on Alcatraz, until Stormlight 3 is done."

Hypatia Uuuh!
Now I'm not so sure anymore I will survive.
Perhaps this is the sign to start with my great reread.

Daniel Clouser Well, we do still have Bands of Mourning and the first part of the White Sand graphic novel coming in 2016, so there's that for your Cosmere fix.

There should be some artwork from White Sand previewed soon. I asked about it on Twitter, and Sanderson said that there will be something in his State of the Sanderson blog, which is coming at the end of this week or the beginning of next week.

Also, there was a mention of the rights being sold for a Cosmere adaptation (yes, the entire Cosmere!!!) at a recent signing, and he may touch on that in the blog. So, plenty to obsess over, still.

message 16: by Vander (new)

Vander Hypatia wrote: "Vander, you lucky fellow...

You are able to dive into the Cosmere with Mistborn (and perhaps even Elantris and Warbreaker) to ease the pain of waiting for SA 3.
Whereas we poor addicted can only h..."

Also the Wheel of Time. Yeah, I picked a good time to get into true High Fantasy, and got lucky finding authors too.

Actually, I remember I checked out Words of Radiance from my local library thinking it was sort of cool. I never really understood what I was getting into. Pretty much the same with WoT.

Still can't bring myself to like ASOIAF, though.

Solemn Lmao. The fact that this dude deleted all of his comments makes this thread hilarious. Troll'd pt. 2. Quit talking to yourselves.

message 18: by Vander (new)

Vander Solemn wrote: "Lmao. The fact that this dude deleted all of his comments makes this thread hilarious. Troll'd pt. 2. Quit talking to yourselves."

Hmm... I'm wondering if he deleted his comments or if they were deleted. Ah, well. At least the end result is the same.

message 19: by Raptori (last edited Dec 16, 2015 04:30AM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Raptori Brilliant.

message 20: by Emily (last edited Dec 16, 2015 05:14AM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Emily Don't rag on me about this, but I had a hard time getting into Wheel of Time when I tried reading a long time ago...should I give it another go? I mean, I understand it's a classic and, of course, I dig Sanderson so can only expect his contributions are on par...but I just couldn't get through the first book....
Admittedly, that was some years ago....

message 21: by Kat (new) - rated it 5 stars

Kat Emily, I'm doing a complete audio re-read for WOT. I never read the LAST book, so, here I am, on my third? fourth? re-read of the series. :)

Makes house work or crafts go by quick.

Also, people, please. /eyeroll
" get every authority on this planet to file every legal action "
sigh.

go read something.

message 22: by Kat (new) - rated it 5 stars

Kat You replied to MY post with that kind of potty mouth?!

Little 13yo boy, if your adult guardian knew you were talking to people around the world like that, they'd wash your mouth out!

No Christmas joy in your stocking, kiddo!

Happy days, friends.

Emily Kat wrote: "Emily, I'm doing a complete audio re-read for WOT. I never read the LAST book, so, here I am, on my third? fourth? re-read of the series. :)

Makes house work or crafts go by quick.

Also, people, ..."

Cool, I think I'll give it another read!

message 24: by Kat (new) - rated it 5 stars

Kat Cool thing ( i thought) about Jordan audios and Sanderson audios, all done by the same two people for ALL the series.

It's great if you're really into this world, it's like hanging out with friends.

Emily Kat wrote: "Cool thing ( i thought) about Jordan audios and Sanderson audios, all done by the same two people for ALL the series.

It's great if you're really into this world, it's like hanging out with friends."

Yes, and I miss those friends terribly while waiting for their next adventures! :)

Daniel Clouser Just because you aren't particularly into The Eye of The World doesn't mean you won't end up loving the series. I've found that there are a lot of readers who struggle through the first book but end up enjoying WoT more and more as the series goes on and the massive scope of the story and worldbuilding kicks in.

The opposite is also common in readers: they love the first couple of books but then start hating the series. I've seen lots of people argue that it should have just been a trilogy and that Jordan inflated the story because it sold well.

Now, that's just factually false. Not only is there clear foreshadowing for events in the latter half of the series in the very first book, but Jordan outlined the entire plot to Tom Doherty when he sold the series to him. One might argue that books 7-10 ramble on irrelevantly (I disagree, personally), but there's no way that the story was ever intended to end with The Dragon Reborn. But the argument does go to show that some people much prefer the story before it gets very complicated.

Of course, everyone has different tastes. Plenty of people love the series all the way through, and there are people who forced their way through several volumes and just could never get into it. It can still actually be a good sign if you aren't immediately drawn into the first book, though.

message 27: by Vander (new)

Vander Daniel wrote: "Just because you aren't particularly into The Eye of The World doesn't mean you won't end up loving the series. I've found that there are a lot of readers who struggle through the first book but en..."

I tend to agree. The Eye of the World is so far the book I found least amusing- there was simply too much running away going on. As the series goes on and the characters learn to fight back, however, we learn the worth of their running: It showed them at their most vulnerable, and punctuated how they grew.

I also agree about the "story inflation" thing. I cannot see any way for such a story to be a trilogy.

Solemn Emily wrote: "Don't rag on me about this, but I had a hard time getting into Wheel of Time when I tried reading a long time ago...should I give it another go? I mean, I understand it's a classic and, of course, ..."

Emily don't read wheel of time. As soon as you get to around the 6th book it starts to draaaaaag. Like it goes so slowly that it takes the main characters 3 books to complete one objective. The series would have been better if it had had 8 books tops. 12 is insanity.

You need something to read you should try.

Red Rising Trilogy - Brown
The Name of the Wind-Rothfuss

Don't know if you've read either or both but they're probably right up your alley.

Emily Solemn wrote: "Emily wrote: "Don't rag on me about this, but I had a hard time getting into Wheel of Time when I tried reading a long time ago...should I give it another go? I mean, I understand it's a classic an..."

I loved Name of the Wind and Wise Man's Fear and am anxiously awaiting the 3rd book.....not unlike another certain 3rd book we're all pining for!

I will look into the Red Rising Trilogy, thanks for the suggestion!

Emily Daniel wrote: "Just because you aren't particularly into The Eye of The World doesn't mean you won't end up loving the series. I've found that there are a lot of readers who struggle through the first book but en..."

Hi Daniel~ I really appreciate your reply! I will definitely try to tackle Eye of the World again. No reason not to, right?

Daniel Clouser Tons of info in Brandon Sanderson's year-end blog, including 3 sample pages from White Sand!

It looks like the first Stormlight sequence should all be out within 6 years or so, which is pretty cool. 2018 really isn't THAT far away, and that's when we'll get The Lost Metal. Also, it looks like Elantris 2 will be coming after Stormlight 4 (and Elantris 3, which I didn't even know was I the works will come after Stormlight 5).

Bad news for Warbreaker fans, though. Nightblood is a loooooong ways off.

All in all, a really exciting post, though. Check it out:

http://brandonsanderson.com/state-of-...

message 32: by Vander (new)

Vander Daniel wrote: "Tons of info in Brandon Sanderson's year-end blog, including 3 sample pages from White Sand!

It looks like the first Stormlight sequence should all be out within 6 years or so, which is pretty coo..."

Pretty cool on all of that, except....

NOOOO NIGHTBLOOD! I wanted to see more of the adventures of a god and his psycho sword....

Daniel Clouser Well, you're probably gonna get some of that in Oathbringer, even though the psycho sword will be adventuring with psycho Szeth, while Vasher just spends time being Zahel.

message 34: by Vander (new)

Vander Daniel wrote: "Well, you're probably gonna get some of that in Oathbringer, even though the psycho sword will be adventuring with psycho Szeth, while Vasher just spends time being Zahel."

About Szeth: Do you mean psycho in a good way or bad?

Emily Vander wrote: "About Sz..."

I'm still on the fence about Szeth...

message 36: by Vander (new)

Vander Emily wrote: "Vander wrote: "About Sz..."

I'm still on the fence about Szeth..."

Fair enough.