Metro Library ReadUp discussion

December's book: Manhattan Mayhem: New Crime Stories from Mystery Writers of America

Comments Showing 1-13 of 13 (13 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Alexis (new)

Alexis (alexisw) | 8 comments Talk about it here!

message 2: by Metropolitan (new)

Metropolitan Library System | 255 comments Mod
Since this is a book of short stories, don't feel like you need to read every single one of them, just whatever catches your fancy is fine!

message 3: by Metropolitan (new)

Well, that first story was kind of surprising!

message 4: by Metropolitan (new)

So far the stories I've liked 3 Little Words--it kept me guessing right up until the end. Damage Control was also good--if a little heartbreaking. I'm not a huge mystery reader, so I'm enjoying these little bite sized pieces of the genre.

I didn't finish Serial Benefactor--it just didn't grab me so I moved on.

message 5: by [deleted user] (new)

Metropolitan wrote: "Since this is a book of short stories, don't feel like you need to read every single one of them, just whatever catches your fancy is fine!"

Mine should be here tomorrow! Can't wait to get started!

message 6: by Cheryl (new)

Cheryl Shults | 7 comments Just finished. I read every story, but really liked some more than others, in particular, the last one. It was resolved exactly as I hoped it would be. A couple of them were a bit confusing, so I probably didn't read them as carefully as I should have. Overall, good reads.

message 7: by Metropolitan (new)

Glad you enjoyed it!

message 8: by Amanda (new)

Amanda | 39 comments Interesting short stories! Very low commitment.

message 9: by Karen (new)

Karen | 7 comments My favorite so far has been Red-Headed Stepchild.

message 10: by [deleted user] (new)

Metropolitan wrote: "Well, that first story was kind of surprising!"

I know! I really like the first one!

message 11: by [deleted user] (new)

My favorites were The Five- Dollar Dress and The Picture of the Lonely Diner. Maybe a coincidence that those are two of my favorite authors? I also enjoyed Red-Headed Stepchild.
I thought the "concept" of the book was really fun...choosing a city and having lots of great writers pick different areas and come up with short stories.

message 12: by Metropolitan (new)

Tracy wrote: "My favorites were The Five- Dollar Dress and The Picture of the Lonely Diner. Maybe a coincidence that those are two of my favorite authors? I also enjoyed Red-Headed Stepchild.
I thought the "con..."

Me too, it's a neat gimmick. I thought Red Headed Stepchild was pretty funny!

message 13: by Krysta (new)

Krysta | 4 comments I finished this last night, and I liked all of them except the time travel one.